free hit
counters
Evora S IPS shift paddles random(?) failure - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
casewolf

Evora S IPS shift paddles random(?) failure

Hi all,

after selling my Esprit S4 i treated myself with a 2012 Evora S IPS last year. So far I'm very happy and all minor issues were either "features" or quickly solved. 

But - there is one issue that starts bothering me, as it occurred already 3-4 times, and I currently can't reproduce it, as it happens rather randomly. When in Sport mode and using the paddles, the car sometimes suddenly ignores any paddle input from one second to the other. Only a restart (turning off and on the engine - or better said: software reset...?) can solve it (until it happens again, which may not even be on the same day...). Shifting in "Auto"-mode is unaffected and works either in "sport" or "normal" mode as intended and flawless, even if the paddles are dysfunctional.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Should I check for any errors inside the ECU? 

Cheers & thanks!

d

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Not heard of it before, a dodgy paddle switch? Presumably it's not showing the warning triangle on the dash when it doesn't shift?

Gav 

No - it's just completely ignoring any input from the paddles from then on - without the usual warning triangle or any other dashboard lights...

Edited by casewolf
typo

I would suspect a faulty switch but hard to prove while intermittent.

Gav 

While I have little knowledge of the systems involved or what should show up on the dash, I was going to suggest a paddle switch as well.

Is it always the same paddle that 'misses' a shift or both? (same paddle, switch possibly. both paddles, software possibly or the solenoid on the gearbox itself?)

Its both paddles failing instantly - I would bet on the software, as I get it to work perfectly after a re-start of the car...

If it is the software, surely the error will be logged somewhere via the ECU?

I'd note the date and time it happens in the future to be giving to a repairer or Lotus themselves.

If its both then I would think either a loose earth/neutral (try the other buttons on the steering wheel for cruise control) or software/tcu.

Gav

Funnily I don't have cruise control on the steering wheel! As I wanted to update that, I'll have to let it check (the earth) - thanks for your ideas. Also noting the time when it happens is a good idea!

My 2014 IPS had a sticky paddle, that was fixed under warranty.  It wasn't ignoring paddle input but just wasn't operating smoothly, so I guess its not the same problem as yours.

I would start by getting a dealer to re-flash the gearbox ecu to see if that helps.