free hit
counters
S4s clutch release bearing - Page 2 - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Barrykearley

S4s clutch release bearing

The S4 friction plate is definitely different to the S4s /300 one, (S4 has 4 springs s/300 has 6) so a totally different setup.

Which friction plate do you have?0

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Not sure about the clutch, but I reckon the S4s release bearing comes up longer. Depending on the difference in lengths, you may well be able to ge the 9-12mm you need on the fork adjustment, because the hydraulic cylinders are the same for both models.

7 hours ago, Steve V8 said:

The S4 friction plate is definitely different to the S4s /300 one, (S4 has 4 springs s/300 has 6) so a totally different setup.

Which friction plate do you have?0

This one D840ABBA-F5E7-4550-800D-E194EC2243A3.thumb.jpeg.88e9662c3329cfb19e3862f97f9e4030.jpeg

46 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

Not sure about the clutch, but I reckon the S4s release bearing comes up longer. Depending on the difference in lengths, you may well be able to ge the 9-12mm you need on the fork adjustment, because the hydraulic cylinders are the same for both models.

Yeah I’m sure any would work to be fair - there’s plenty of adjustment in the clucth hydraulic setup. That said - I do t want to be buggering about and reengineering the wheel 

I would suggest that your S4s friction plate is slightly thicker than the S4 one, and the sleeve that sits inside the standard S4s bearing will be slightly longer than the machined extended inner race of the S4 one. So you're going to need to source the correct bearing and sleeve for your friction plate.

Have you checked the flywheel and cover are S4s or S4? 

The covers aren’t interchangeable as they have lugs in different places

My S4s driven plate had 8 springs, the new S4 version has 4.

The flywheel I have is drilled for S4 or S4s pressure plates, as you say the S4 pressure plate won't fit otherwise. Unless you use an S4 flywheel, of course!

2015-01-13 14.58.03.jpg

2015-05-01%2010_00_44_preview_jpeg.jpg

2015-05-01%2010_02_08_preview_jpeg.jpg

18 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

The covers aren’t interchangeable as they have lugs in different places

Yes I know, that's why I axed.....what I was trying to say was.....you have an S4 release bearing, you have an S4s friction plate, do you know which clutch cover and flywheel you have?

Reason is, I know how difficult it is when you buy a car as a box of bits, if you've taken the thing apart yourself you know what's what. If a PO or garage has replaced parts with cheaper versions to penny pinch (and I know you know what I'm saying), it causes problems like the one you have now.

45 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

as you say the S4 pressure plate won't fit otherwise. Unless you use an S4 flywheel, of course!

Exactly, you're going to have to bite the bullet Barry and buy the correct parts, whether that be S4s or S4

Barry - please post photos of your clutch pressure plate (with any details or part numbers on it) and your flywheel face, then maybe we can finally put this one to bed.

5 hours ago, Steve V8 said:

Exactly, you're going to have to bite the bullet Barry and buy the correct parts, whether that be S4s or S4

I’ve done that - waiting on sj to supply them...

4 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

Barry - please post photos of your clutch pressure plate (with any details or part numbers on it) and your flywheel face, then maybe we can finally put this one to bed.

F33DD451-B3C2-4B8A-9D9D-F3E4FCCA0689.thumb.jpeg.86480ce15d94197b77bf7873120fa8c8.jpeg

ill need to pop outside to look at the cover and take a photo. Busy wiring lights for a chicken shed in the warm presently

92A72134-1603-4A19-AFB4-E3AD8BFDFF2C.thumb.jpeg.489477d12bfdb0f5d5a2a0446b658890.jpeg

as it sits now - All bolted up - this bits Valeo but no numbers visible

46 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

92A72134-1603-4A19-AFB4-E3AD8BFDFF2C.thumb.jpeg.489477d12bfdb0f5d5a2a0446b658890.jpeg

as it sits now - All bolted up - this bits Valeo but no numbers visible

Bollox, I was hoping there would be a number on it!

With the spacing on the bolts looking closer together than my S4 pressure plate (counting the flywheel teeth in relation to the holes), I'm fairly sure that's an S4s pressure plate you have. If you really want confirmation, then I have a spare S4s flywheel in the garage, and I could measure the hole centres from that.

It’s defo an S4s -  sj supplied helix clutch kit for what that’s worth 

In that case, and if I were you, I’d use the S4s release bearing.

I know you can get a gearbox out and back in quicker than it’s takes me to think about opening the garage door, but......

• Like 1

The amount of spanner playing recently - frankly I don’t want to play anymore

from memory my S4s flywheel didn't look like that......has that flywheel been lightened? I don't remember my flywheel having a radius step on it like yours.....I have heard because of the big difference in price...people swapping out the S4s flywheel and clutch assembly for the earlier SE and S4 assemblies. 

Edited by davevr6car

9 hours ago, davevr6car said:

from memory my S4s flywheel didn't look like that......has that flywheel been lightened? I don't remember my flywheel having a radius step on it like yours.....I have heard because of the big difference in price...people swapping out the S4s flywheel and clutch assembly for the earlier SE and S4 assemblies. 

Posted by you on July 1, 2017-

the S4s 's flywheel is also stepped by about 1-2mm this is why you have to be careful if your going to get the face of the flywheel machined....and thats why the bolt pattern is different.....there's no reason why the friction plate and pressure plate can't be refurbed.....

Been on the whiskey?

• Haha 1

Ffs - maybe next week for the new bearing now........argh

Which one are you fitting? If it's the S4s bearing, you should be able to get one faster than that.

14 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

Which one are you fitting? If it's the S4s bearing, you should be able to get one faster than that.

So far no-one either has one or is getting back too me. Somewhat fed up with it

S4s bearing on left with shim

4 cylinder one on right.

CCEAE4F5-8D16-4B79-9D39-4BAF4D2C049B.thumb.jpeg.8cccf171688e7290a14550e7ecd5bdba.jpeg

Heres a rough sketch of the insert required, the shim size and the bearing

B7EB0013-E0BB-436D-9F0C-128D98F8B5CD.thumb.jpeg.8d876d08b87431834c99358e09d0b5f7.jpeg