free hit
counters
'88 Esprit front speaker replacement - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
EspritDecor

'88 Esprit front speaker replacement

Greetings,

I have spent quite some time trying to trawl through forums but have not come across

a definitive answer.

I wish to replace the front dash mounted speakers and am wondering what is the easiest

method?

Looking at the situation, I would ascertain that thee speakers were installed before the dash was installed....is there a work around to replace them relatively easy?

Edited by EspritDecor

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If you are hinting that you'd prefer to replace the speakers with the instrument binnacle in place...:ermm:

Dream on. :X

+++++++++++

That said, it's not really that difficult to remove the '88 binnacle.  Four bolts underneath, two electrical plugs, and the speedometer cable. Protect the dash leather (the defrost vent extends down, and could scratch).. Move the bin towards the center then move rearward and its out. :P

We'll tell you the re-installation tricks later. :sofa:

The design changed on later year Esprits so don't be lured into using those directions.

If you have any duff instruments (does the speedo bounce?) or any lights out or dim, have a plan in mind.

Or a lazy flasher unit, like mine :X Discovered just after I'd refitted the binnacle, obviously...

Careful you dont break the screen - hard to believe but some bone head has in the past

• Haha 1

Windscreen breakage is more of an issue with the G cars, as their's is flatter.

I would like to thank you gentlemen for your kind and informative responses.

I intend replacing front and rear speakers with Rockford Fosgate 'Punch' drivers.

The front ones, I want to retain the original Lotus branded covers ;o)

I have developed a neat little screw attacking device which hopefully will allow me to undo the

hard to access crews.

All warnings will be heeded.

No, all instruments work smoothly and well lit....this car has only covered 38,000klm.

I will be documenting and photographing everything as we go along.

I take it that the four binnacle mounting screws are easily accessible?

I noticed that the later cars have there's mounted with two outer screws and one 10mm nut.

The four binnacle bolts can be EASILY reached in the 'Lotus position'. :P Remove the roof panel to avoid scuffing the headliner with your shoes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks again....I'm going to be a stubborn sod and see if I can do it with seats out and will remove binnacle as a last resort :)

I did mine binnacle in situ. Get a Philips head bit from one of the multi head screw drivers they sell at most petrol stations halfrauds etc and put it in the end of a small ring spanner. Secure it with blue tack or tape. Slow and steady is the name of the game.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Clarky5150 said:

I did mine binnacle in situ. Get a Philips head bit from one of the multi head screw drivers they sell at most petrol stations halfrauds etc and put it in the end of a small ring spanner. Secure it with blue tack or tape. Slow and steady is the name of the game.

Shaun...I like the sound of that :)....I have a Philips bit which I have mounted in a plastic drill chuck which is

about 1/2" shorter than a stubby screwdriver and that shall be my weapon of choice.

I've worked out that I can sit on thew centre console and manouvre from there.

Did you find the leads were soldered to the original speakers?

I found this on the rears....that's no drama.....piss farting around having to crimp connectors to the front speaker wires will be a PIA!

27 minutes ago, Clarky5150 said:

17 Dec 2017 018a.jpg

Nope, crimp connectors. If your fronts are like mine were the paper cones were shot. Marked improvement with some decent aftermarket coax's in there. Don't be tempted with the Halfords stuff, better off getting some used infinities, pioneers etc off fleabay for same price.

fyi I mounted some infinity components in the rear. Big improvement in clarity but bass response very limited due to the tiny enclosures. 

IMG_0307.JPG

IMG_0308.JPG

You may still struggle with the far screws with the drill chuck. Think there is only about 30mm clearance!

Old v new front drivers.

IMG_0187.JPG

Very good!....while you got the old speakers there, what is the dimensions from screw hole to screw hole and what dia. are they?

My little chucky is about 30mm all up so, should go close I reckon....feeling more positive all the time :)

I did think about fitting component drivers in the rear but decided to go for two way drivers instead.

The original rear speakers were three way Jensen's.....they used to be a reputable brand 30 years ago!

I have gone for good quality Rockford Fosgate 2 way drivers which have solid cones with butyl rubber edges compared to the crappy composite cones and edges of the originals.

These are the original rears:

5a53f2d7ef713_17Dec2017021.thumb.jpg.088881310f996f8e1ac1206fb40d02eb.jpg

5a53f316c93c7_17Dec2017024.thumb.jpg.e04b0bab8ae9bc55e4bff7a01194fe40.jpg

These are the new rear drivers:

5a53f6fae698f_09Jan2018002.jpg.f6d25059185ed4297784104a8a72b648.jpg

5a53f7c9d5929_09Jan2018004.jpg.9e3f778ca7ee458ba3eab5828a6c2ff6.jpg

Edited by EspritDecor

1 hour ago, punky said:

I found one of these handy when i did the fronts on mine!

Although mine was longer and retractable :)

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/wera-392-flexible-shaft-bit-holding-screwdrive/

C'or!....you could waggle that about a bit....nuthin' better than summit long and retractable :devil:       I have a set of those ranging from about 6"-18" and also has three sections to join together....I find them handy for doing up awkward hose clamps.....but in this instance, I would rather use something small and easily handle with one hand....and it has a magnetic tip to retract the screws....not that I'll be re using them because the new drivers come with socket head screws....I just need to know the dimensions of the old drivers.

Edited by EspritDecor

Not sure on the screw hole widths as mine are in now. If it helps mine are Pioneer Ts and the original grilles went straight on. Those RFs should sound significantly better. I run the components as the treble is either lost or very brittle due to positioning of front speakers. The rear tweets allow you to run significantly less treble but have a far better sound and sound stage.

Thanks....I take note of your comments on the tweeters.     The RF baskets are cast and a very solid unit.    Considering that the Lotus is not a very quiet car, picks up a lot of road noise....we have rather course style bitumen roads here.....so, will be interesting to hear the end result.      I guess the tweets would give a far better sound location as well.

Anything is an improvement. Bass response is generally poor as the enclosure behind the rear speakers is about a litre and the speakers have no room to move air. I considered putting a port in but the results would have been negligible. A slim under seat woofer is the only option I can think of behind the passenger seat but it would mean I could only carry an Umpa Lumpa as a passenger.

2 hours ago, Clarky5150 said:

Anything is an improvement. Bass response is generally poor as the enclosure behind the rear speakers is about a litre and the speakers have no room to move air. I considered putting a port in but the results would have been negligible. A slim under seat woofer is the only option I can think of behind the passenger seat but it would mean I could only carry an Umpa Lumpa as a passenger.

Yes, I'm well aware of the limitations.    A previous post had some work on a 'tube woofer' that fitted at the nose of the passenger seat....sounds interesting.    It looks like I will start work on this next week.    I noticed on the American site some guy was fitting custom made woof enclosures in front of the petrol tanks....bit extreme....another post had a custom upholstered sub box between the eats....looked good.