free hit
counters
pioneer flip out 7 inch screen head unit - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
C4ix

pioneer flip out 7 inch screen head unit

Hi has anyone fitted a flip up head unit if so which one and how did it go?

regards

John

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

To an S2, but same shaped centre. Yes you can fit it, the flip out element does get in the way, so you need to shorten the indicator stalk or fit the alloy ones, otherwise when flipping out it can foul it. If you can set the headunit to leave the screen out all the time, it's not an issue.

You also need to space the headunit slightly out as the recess means some headunits screens won't get the correct angle, they need to lean back and most will be straight or leaning forward due to the headunit being recessed under the vents..

The centre vents will still be blowing air on the back of the screen, so you loose the effectiveness of those.

You will also need to route through a reversing camera from the back of the car if you want to fit one, which is a hassle. Depending on the model you can integrate the rear parking sensors if you really wish, but you will likely have to do lots of splicing.

The headunit I used was an Alpine, but I forget which one as it was  a few years back and was sold with the car

• Like 1

Thanks i think I'm going to give it a go ,prompted by the awful standard unit and rubbish speakers  .my car has cruise control so i think i will be making some bespoke stalks!

Just realised I gave the wrong model in the above post.

It should be a Pioneer AVH-Z7000DAB.

The DEH is my older non-flip-out model.

I’d change the post if I could figure out how to edit!

The edit function times out after a while. I’ve edited your post for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KJD said:

Just realised I gave the wrong model in the above post.

It should be a Pioneer AVH-Z7000DAB.

The DEH is my older non-flip-out model.

I’d change the post if I could figure out how to edit!

Could you take a pic for the side, with maybe the screen retracted?  (to get an idea of the space/spacer)

thx!

Awesome, thank you, I was looking for a high quality DAB+ flip-out head unit in 2015, but there was only Chinese crap without DAB available.

4 hours ago, Kristof Thys said:

Could you take a pic for the side, with maybe the screen retracted?  (to get an idea of the space/spacer)

thx!

I’ll take some more pics when I’m next with the car. 

Maybe tomorrow. 

Here you go:

The 10mm spacer only brings the unit out to around level with the lower part of the dashboard.

The extra space this gives behind the unit is helpful - it gets pretty tight with all the wires and extra tuner box.

You can see me pushing up the indicator stalk. Not much, around 5-10mm.

28C26C48-665E-41B7-B9A6-2A6A7555EB10.thumb.jpeg.c69e2730a42bb979077f19905c11354d.jpeg1ECA28F3-70E9-483A-9F37-0B7A25DC1DD6.thumb.jpeg.d3f232aed9364266742ad5b65ded2451.jpegA55AC423-2C0B-4E99-BBBA-929DADA5EDD8.thumb.jpeg.f4da461f862e4b5e113f1d6f5bdc21ee.jpeg

• Like 2

And you can load custom front screens! B-)

1092B3BC-38FE-4BF4-9141-C01224935638.thumb.jpeg.348d4e70c473c8459bd6fbc9a69d1270.jpeg

You all want one now, don’t you! ?

Edited by KJD
  • Like 1

Yes I do.... very nice.....

I already bought one yesterday :) Just a quick question : How did you connect the handbrake wire (green one), did you give it continue power or did you connect it on the negative wire of the radio ? 

I connected the green “handbrake” wire to the radio negative but via a switch that could “be” the handbrake.

There is a setting in the menu where you can turn off the handbrake “safety” function, but I think you have to use the “handbrake” once to activate it.

I can now use all the functions without being “told” to put the handbrake on.

I put the switch in the coin pocket under the light switches, where I also ran the USB connector from the radio.

I can take a photo tomorrow if it helps.

Thanks a lot , a photo would be nice....

On 07/01/2018 at 23:45, KJD said:

Hello all.

Been lurking here for a while waiting until I had something relevant to contribute, so here goes...

I’ve fitted a Pioneer AVH-Z7000DAB to mine. Up to date unit with DAB, Bluetooth, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

As MrP says, you need a 10mm spacer to bring it out from under the dash and you need to push the indicator stalk up out of the way as the screen comes out. This one also has an external tuner box (about 100mm square) that has to be squeezed under the dash (I got it behind the clocks).

One annoyance for us Apple users is that it’s supposed to be able to mirror certain non-apple apps like Waze from the phone to the screen, but since iOS11 came out that doesn’t work. Pioneer are allegedly “working on it”. Andrioders should be OK.

Not cheap, but worth it, imho.

I’ve also upgraded the speakers (front and rear) to decent Pioneers and fitted a subwoofer in the passenger footwell, and this unit seems to be able to drive them better than the ordinary head unit I had before. Sounds pretty good for a Lotus!

23F4B969-3A0D-4162-A2C8-33BDE10E86B4.thumb.jpeg.2efc8f8778b5807cf2bd8e0f4e43ab34.jpeg

Do you use CarPlay for your Nav then? I know you said there are issues ATM, but generally does it work well and take out the need to get a unit with Nav built in? Don't really fancy having to bolt phone anywhere for Nav

Yes, CarPlay with Apple Maps works fine. (Well, as fine as Apple Maps ever works!)

The whole point is that you don’t need a built in nav. It works thru your phone, one way or another.

It’s just that I like to use Waze for nav (with gps speed and speed cameras, etc) and the screen mirroring thing doesn’t work atm so I still have to use the phone screen to see it. (Which you can, even when connected to CarPlay).

You have to physically plug the phone into the usb for CarPlay to work properly. It doesn’t work thru Bluetooth. An Apple thing! But if you’re happy with Apple Maps you’ll be fine.

11 minutes ago, KJD said:

You have to physically plug the phone into the usb for CarPlay to work properly. It doesn’t work thru Bluetooth.

FWIW, the current generation of CarPlay headunits work wirelessly (ie via Bluetooth). Not that that helps you, unfortunately. 

Ooh! Maybe that’s an upgrade I can look forward to then.

Along with the screen mirroring thing that I’ve been waiting 4 months for!

Perhaps they’ll pull their finger out for iOS12!

If it makes you feel better, Android Auto only work when connected too - only the phone and music streaming works via Bluetooth. 

I’m a bit stupid re ICE stuff. So can I ask some really stupid questions...

1) How do you space it out by 10mm?

2) If I order the kit does it come with the  tuner?

3) Does the radio work without the unit being “flipped out”

4) What speakers did you use? I don’t want a sun woofer tho...

5) Do I need to install a DAB Ariel?

6) can you stream the likes of Google maps/Co Pilot from the phone to the head unit?

7) A list of part numbers please?

sorry for all the stupid questions, if anyone needs a hand with Laplace Transforms I might be able to help ???

cheers

Mark

Hi Mark. Here to help!

1: Buy a square plastic 10mm deep 1din spacer from ebay. Pennies.

2: Yes. Tuner box is part of the kit. Access to a small child’s arms to aid fitting will help.

3: Yes. All the noise comes out. Just no fancy screen. Volume knob works.

4: I used decent Pioneer upgrades. Anything is better than the factory fitted averageness.

Subwoofer transforms the car into the Albert Hall.

5: Yes. I used a stick on windscreen one. Works OK. Not perfect, but OK. Minicab offices are your enemy.

6: Um. Not sure. Waze is effectively Google maps on steroids, but doesn’t work properly atm, as I’ve said.

7: Pioneer AVH-Z7000DAB has all you need, apart from maybe a “handbrake” switch and a dab aerial.

Laplace Transforms? 

Lap dancer with lacey underwear who used to be a bloke? ?

• Haha 1

Cheers Kieron, appreciated ?

If the stereo you get is a pioneer app radio that uses a hdmi cable then try app radio unchained rootless as it allows the head unit to fully mimic your phone.

Gav 

47 minutes ago, 21gg said:

If the stereo you get is a pioneer app radio that uses a hdmi cable then try app radio unchained rootless as it allows the head unit to fully mimic your phone.

Gav 

Cheers Gav.

Looks like a good idea but only for Andriod.