Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora 400 Hesitation / Jerking - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora 400 Hesitation / Jerking

I am sure its totally unrelated but I drove my car for the first time today since its 2nd year service and its not a happy bunny. Only issue I had post service was when leaving the garage I had a spanner light on the dash, so the technician came and cleared it, but then the car wouldn't start, and they tried and also no start and the dials were not zeroing out, they then disconnected the battery and reconnected with a jump pack and all was right again.

When pulling away from standstill it is very hesitant and jerking (like new driver kangarooing). When coasting and coming back on throttle its similar, hesitant and jerking into acceleration.

if you keep it flawed and accelerate hard and move quick through the gears there is no issue at all, but even pulling back into my road and heading to the drive its mega jerky.

Before I get it booked in at a garage and travel, has anyone else had similar? I assume its not clutch related based on it being ok when pushing hard, so its not slippage, so I think it might be a maf or fueling issue potentially.
Only thing I did spot when getting home is I am down on fuel (30 miles left), never had similar issues on low fuel but I might just go fill up and see if by magic it clears itself.

There are no lights on the dash, penny for your thoughts?

Edited by dalepearson

.:: Lotus Evora 400 - Red ::.. | ..:: Polestar 2 - Midnight Blue | Ducati Panigale V2 - Red | Indian Scout Bobber - Black | Honda CB1000R Neo Cafe Racer - Black ::..

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Just been and filled up and do some more testing.

If you do a gradual acceleration all is fine, its only if you come off the throttle and then go back on the throttle hard.
I also just pulled over and rev'd it at idle and I am pretty sure its either throttle or air flow related, as its as if it coughs then suddenly goes oh yeah I am supposed to be doing something, then it does it.

.:: Lotus Evora 400 - Red ::.. | ..:: Polestar 2 - Midnight Blue | Ducati Panigale V2 - Red | Indian Scout Bobber - Black | Honda CB1000R Neo Cafe Racer - Black ::..

Posted a video of the coughing if it helps anyone diagnose.

• Gold FFM

Symptoms sound very like a MAF sensor wiring loom routing problem that was identified as an issue by Lotus with 2015 & early 16 400s. If that is the cause of the problem its a simple dealer fix under warranty.

I am just going to give it a quick look over.
Bloody thing, why does it have to do it AFTER I have travelled to the dealers for a service :)
Might as well see how much it will cost to change the AUX belt whilst its in as it has a squeek which they couldnt fix and said needs replacing.

I call it an AUX, TIMING, THE belt :) , but like you say there is only one belt that drives the supercharger, etc etc. I mention it has the odd squeak when it went in for a service, they added some lube but said some just squeak so if its annoying it needs to be replaced, but the belt itself is fine :)

The car is 100% garaged, I don't take it out in the wet, its abit of a garage queen (like all my Lotus to date).

Anyway MAF looks clean, checked the throttle body thats all clean too, guess I just need to get it booked in and see whats what.

Just an FYI.... over here one of the guys (  agentdr8 ) had a low rpm chirping. He's replaced not only the belt (thought it was a loose/worn belt), but the belt tensioner and idler #2 pulleys. 

He came across some info that on "some Rav4s, Camrys, Avalons, and other vehicles that also shared the same 2GR-FE V6. Toyota had determined that the idler #2 pulleys were either not designed correctly, or were prone to wearing out prematurely, and replaced under warranty."

The noise in the video is just induction noise, nothing to worry about. 

The spanner is more than likely your clutch sensor, this ties in with the kangaroo hesitation on part throttle. It'll need to be replaced. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

No spanner on my dash which is the odd thing.

Anyway, got the car booked in for later in the month to check the MAF and belt and pulleys. Should all be under warranty.

On 07/01/2018 at 11:30, dalepearson said:

when leaving the garage I had a spanner light on the dash

This one. The problem won't disappear, the clutch pedal sensor will need to be changed. It's not the first time it's happened and caused your symptoms. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Ah :) They cleared it and made no comment and it didnt come up, but I do think its some how related.

Wonder if clutch sensor will be an item they keep on the shelf.
Thanks to all the input as usual from the forum members.

Wow thank you very much, I will give them a call.

I've just had similar symptoms sorted with a change of the clutch sensor. 

Funnily enough I've also got a squeak from the pulley. I'm having the dealer look it later in the week whilst it's in with them for some other work to be carried out. I'll report back on what they say.

Cheers for the info Pickle.
My car is booked in for beginning of Feb to have the squeak sorted (belt and pulleys) and hopefully the hesitation sorted.
I will post back once sorted.

• 3 weeks later...

I am back from the dealers.

Apparently when I had the battery issues leaving last time, it had set the throttle and or clutch sensor abit out of whack.

They reset everything and it now seems ok. I also got the belt replaced and this seems to have eliminated the squealing noise. The only noise I have left I am told is the exhaust flap opening / closing, so I will see if I can grease that or something and then should be good.

• Like 1

Sigh I must have some bad karma or something.

Came back to the car after getting home, car wont start :( so despite the car being 2 years old, and already having the original battery replaced by the first owner and I always keep it on trickle charge I guess it needs another new battery.
I now also need to do another 2 hour round trip to get things reset again, as now have the airbag light on and the jerking back. 

Its just frustrating, this is my 4th Lotus, and although not major problems I have had pretty much frustration ownership up until now :)
I am just going to do some basic checks first, make sure the alternator is charging the battery etc. 

Edited by dalepearson

Looks like the Varta Silver Dynamic E38 is the one to go for.

I will try one of these to replace the current Bosh S4 thats in there at the moment and hope all is well.

It did some tests and looks like the alternator is charging the battery, see about 13.8 on the meter with the engine running, which seems about right as DRL and stereo is on.

2 hours ago, dalepearson said:

I now also need to do another 2 hour round trip to get things reset again, as now have the airbag light on and the jerking back. 

Do you have an OBD reader to reset all codes? I think the airbag may be a dealer only thing, but might be worth a try.

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.