free hit
counters
Adjusting cam belt tension on S4 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
stevefh444@hotmail.com

Adjusting cam belt tension on S4

Hi all,   Can you adjust the tensioner       a) from above only          b) with ordinary 19mm ring spanner and 17mm socket torque wrench                  c)what do you need to remove/loosen to get access.                   D) If any of this is not possible would anyone with their S4 engine out see if it possible to bend flat bar to make 19mm and 17mm “spanner’s” that will do the job from above with minimum effort .Thanks for any info.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

You need to torque that nut.

I’ve never done one in the car - a bitch no doubt

From above would be more difficult I think due to the alternator bracket.

It's possible to adjust from below without removing anything with (preferably short) 17/19 spanners.  You can just get a socket and torque wrench in there for a final tighten.  Easier if you remove the aux belts, but I prefer not to.

And im sure today that the S4s tensioner carrier nut was of a lower profile than on the S4 - seemed more fiddly to get two spanner’s on

I just did mine on my S4 and had no issue with doing it from the top. However, I did have the auxiliary belts etc off at the time. Engine was in the car.

And for my next question, what is the torque on the centre nut as I did not find anything in my workshop manual. And I thought I checked. Maybe I only had a manlook as my wife calls it.

11 hours ago, Sparky said:

It's possible to adjust from below without removing anything with (preferably short) 17/19 spanners.  You can just get a socket and torque wrench in there for a final tighten.  Easier if you remove the aux belts, but I prefer not to.

You forgot to mention you need to be a gynecologist to achieve satisfaction.

Never had any complaints.

• Haha 1

Depends if he’s fiddling from the top or bottom I suppose

I have no idea why anybody would fiddle from anywhere other than the bottom.

7 hours ago, ramjet said:

what is the torque on the centre nut as I did not find anything in my workshop manual.

Service Notes section TDI lists the 'Belt tensioner retaining nut' torque setting as being 34 - 41 Nm or 25 - 30 lbf.ft.

31 minutes ago, sailorbob said:

Service Notes section TDI lists the 'Belt tensioner retaining nut' torque setting as being 34 - 41 Nm or 25 - 30 lbf.ft.

Isn't that going off topic,   I am more interested in sparky's take on directional options.. I used both methods but yet  to find one that does not draw blood... Q  is that because i have big fat fingers. !!:sofa: 

• Haha 1

Maybe you need a nice comfy chair @CHANGES - this I would imagine is the simplest way to do a cam belt672A624E-868B-48FB-B57B-4799903DCFBA.jpeg.018c49281cf7778262ab33f77784af51.jpeg

What you may not know is that Sparky sleeps in a coffin, and has a finger for every orifice.

1 hour ago, Barrykearley said:

Maybe you need a nice comfy chair @CHANGES - this I would imagine is the simplest way to do a cam belt672A624E-868B-48FB-B57B-4799903DCFBA.jpeg.018c49281cf7778262ab33f77784af51.jpeg

Couldn't decide which spanner you needed Barry?

Chuck em in a pile chap - used them all ??

On 10/01/2018 at 12:40, Sparky said:

I have no idea why anybody would fiddle from anywhere other than the bottom.

When I did mine I torqued it from above (without the alternator, which was already removed obviously). I think you have a better view of what you are doing from above, and I was already in the boot checking the belt tension anyway.

I'm assuming you have a G car, hence alternator removal.  Not necessary on later cars.  BTW it's also possible to do G cars without removing the alternator.

No (not yet! :D), I have an S4s.

It may be unnecessary, but removing the filter air box and the alternator makes so much free room it would be a pity not to remove them in my own opinion, I wouldn't hesitate to do that again (and it's easy, too). But maybe I missed something and could have done better another way ^^

For instance, can you read the timing mark with the alternator fitted!? I think I really can't?

That's what mirrors are for!

^^ (Viewed from beneath probably?)
Well yes, and I even have a little inspection camera but removing the alternator is just one more bolt since its tensioner is removed anyway, so ... ! (I must admit you'd better be prepared to catch the couple of washers before the fall though! :D)