free hit
counters
Eggy smell - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

About 1 in 6 drives I get a really 'eggy' smell inside the car. I'm presuming its the cat ? Anyone had this before? (and no, its nothing to do with what I had for breakfast :P ).

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

yep, H2S, hydrogen sulphide or rotten egg gas is a by product of the catalytic process. but it should not be in cabin?

If I get out of the car, I cannot smell anything in the engine bay or exhaust, but if I go under in and around the exhaust I can really smell it. It also really smells in the boot.

It doesn't always happen, just sometimes. 

Is it possible that the cat is burning off/failing sections and then it burns out and hence the smell though some leaks? I'm going to try and check the seals this weekend between the cats and exhaust.

I dread to think what gases where being produced! Where there any other symptoms as is often the case with a battery on its last legs?

Not really. Only just recently when I'd left the door ajar, and ran the battery down - when I went to recharge it, I couldn't get a complete full recharge. It was that point when the car hadn't been run for a few days and I went to the car (the trickle charger was connected), I could smell it, opened the boot and it stank.

I had driven my car day before yesterday and got the eggy smell at first I thought it was coming from nearby fields but realised it was the car.

the smell went away after some 10 mins and not smelt it again yesterday .

was wondering if it was battery after reading this thread as I was waiting around that evening and had the radio on in the car with engine switched off also did a few short 1-2 mile journeys popping into shops etc?

have not bought a battery charger/conditioner as yet what’s best ? Seen some folk bought CIEK in Halfords they have a Ring (£85) 

the car sat on drive now for next 4-5 days and weather is going to get very cold so eggy smell am I getting signs of early battery failure ?? 

Catalytic converter?

Get a CTEK Clive, from memory I have the MX5.0 which is a charger and conditioner so can be left on the car if you're not planning on using it for a while. Get a comfort connector fly lead too, mine just pokes out from under the battery compartment. 

Bibs

does the comfort connector lead goes to mains , 2.5m type which I have seen on eBay ? Does it come with Ctek mxs5 sets again I have seen on eBay around £70 mark ? 

Thank Pete

i assume this is same spec type as Ctek advocated by Bibs ?

at half the cost it’s bargain in my estimation. ! 

Is the mains lead 2.5m ? If not no problem I will have to add a 2m extension to connect to my outside power socket just behind the car where it parked 

Will measure it later

mains lead about about 1.5 m , leads to battery about 1.0 m

Thanks Pete

i will need an extension as I will be metre or just under short , however I will need to make it a waterproof box covered I think might have a Xmas lights one lying about in loft ? Otherwise will look at eBay or B&Q for a single unit .