free hit
counters
Lotus In Formula One - Page 3 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
proracer

Lotus In Formula One

Maybe I'm looking with rose-tinted glasses and and am too much of an optimist but even though its been 13 years since the last F1 Lotus season I still consider the Lotus marque to be totally linked with F1 racing and even with that gap - they I believe are still a core brand for the sport. There is such a strong association perhaps even now only Ferrari are only more strongly linked? I just cannot believe that such a famous brand will not re-enter the sport one day when some no expense spared billionaire collars David Hunt (does he still own the rights?) and brings 'us' back! Though perhaps it maybe just a rebranding move of an exisiting team rather than a new start....................

I long for a press launch season opener outside Ketteringham again!

ACBC I'm sure would be turning in his poor grave at the thought of no F1 presence..........

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I compiled a list of other teams that left Formula 1 since 1970.

Brabham

BRM

March

Tyrrell

Surtees

Hill

Eiffeland

Matra

Tecno

Hesketh

Shadow

Wolf

Ligier

Fittipaldi

Prost

ATS

Penske

Arrows

Alfa-Romeo

March

Osella

Toleman

Force

Minardi

Zakspeed

AGS

Larrouse

Jordan

Onyx

Coloni

EuroBrun

Monteverdi

Fondmetal

Scuderia Itallia

Stewart

Jaguar

Oh the humanity!, I suppose Williams is next for the chop?

Please feel free to mention any I have forgotten.

Edited by WayneB

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Please feel free to mention any I have forgotten.

An excellent list, I can only think of two missing - Andrea Moda (Coloni? Moot point) and Pacific.

I had a soft spot for Andrea Moda a) because of Pezza, B) they were the first black car since the JPS, and I thought that was amusing and c) I gun for the underdog. I can't help it.

Perry McCarthy was a mad mad fool. Everyone talks about Mansell's committment to getting to the top of F1, but no one remembers that Perry sold his family home to buy that drive. Which amounted to a handful of laps before they were banned from F1...

Anyway, if Lotus was still in F1 and I was in charge of the driver selection in the late 90's - my drivers would have been Johnny H and Perry M. They may not have won anything, but they would have had such a giggle doing it..

Rich

Edited by RichardS3

Wayne,

You missed out the S....smy.....dammit what was the name? Ratzenburger died in one....Sponsored by MTV......ARRRGGGGHHHHH Its on the tip of my tongue...........SIMTEK!

Also, maybe it's on yours and I missed it but you remember the vile (but actually quite quick) Turquise car powered by the Ilmore?

Can't remember their name.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Get brain working time.

Question 1 - Of the names on Wayne's list, who can name team/teams that actually won the F1 championship?

Question 2 - Which of the above teams actually won a race in F1?

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Also, maybe it's on yours and I missed it but you remember the vile (but actually quite quick) Turquise car powered by the Ilmore?

Can't remember their name.

Leyton House? That was vile turquiose colour and quick. And airborne a few times. Gugelmin and Ivan someone. Both ended up in CART I think...

Rich

Leyton House was actually the March team. :thumbup:

Mauricio Guglemin (Sennas mate) and Ivan Cappelli (very underrated driver OMO) :thumbup:

2000031001750877.jpg

Coincedentally Tony, Simtek was founded by Max Moseley of March (after they went under). :w00t:

jv95_009.jpg

Ian, Question one (teams that had won a world championship on that list)

Matra (Jackie Stewart)

Tyrrell (Jackie Stewart)

Brabham (Nelson Piquet)

Question 2 (teams on list that won an F1 race)

Matra (JYS)

Tyrrell (JYS, Francois Cevert)

Brabham (Carlos Reuterman, Niki Lauda,Carlos Pace,Nelson Piquet)

Hesketh (James Hunt)

March (Ronnie Peterson)

Ligier (Jaques Laffite,Olivier Panis)

Wolf (Jody Sheckter)

Jordan (Heinz 57 varieties Harald Frentzen)

Stewart (Johnny Herbert, 26thSeptember 1999 European GP Last time I actually got excited at the outcome of an F1 race)

Edited by WayneB

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Jordan (Heinz 57 varieties Harald Frentzen)

Pretty sure I can remember Damon Hill winning for Jordan but for some reason can't remember Frentzen winning - I'm sure you're right though Wayne.

Edited by mayesprit

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

What about Lola? Or don't they count as they never qualified for their first race and went under before their second.

They left a legacy, though. Because of that fiasco, the FIA now wants a new team to stump up $48 million to enter to show they have proper backing. (Changes next year.)

I thought Simtek was set up by Nick Wirth although Robin Herd (also a March founder) may have had some input.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Trev, I remember Graham Hill used a Lola F5000 chassis (T370) in F1 after he had ran a Shadow in 1973.

The Larousse Lamborghini (1987)and the Hass/Beatrice (1985) were Lola chassis also.

Wayne B (now too old to know everything) :band:

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Hmmmm.

I guess it would have been nice if you had been right but you have again failed to read what was written and have compounded the difficulty with a surplus of zeros in your figure.

Back to school maybe.

Resorting to picking up on typos... A very sad state of affairs and the last resort of the utterly wrong.

If they are selling 100,000 cars at

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

Lotus back in F1 ? what a nice thought.

best pictures - G Hill sideways around Monaco in a 49b

best powerslider - R Petersen in a 72 (although Mr Mansell did pretty well too a bit later on)

worst noise - Turbine car (Fittipaldi - 70 something) sort of whistled & bumped along, pretty quick though.

prettiest - 64 4wd, those equal sized wheels.

All a bit old now, ah well, back to the pipe & slippers.

I know this is an old thread, but i had a dream about this last night. I dreamt that Lotus was dressed in black and gold racing against Ferrari in modern day F1. It was a good dream. :whistle:

So lets say they can raise $50 million. What else would they need? How big of a staff and R&D department would they need?

Well, I would say that, if they are going to be racing against Ferrari, the first thing they will need is another $200 million. A staff of 200 to 300 should suffice assuming they are being suppled with an engine from an outside source. It would be nice to think that source could be Cosworth with a decent budget. There last F1 engine was pretty good on a budget of under $20 million so they could do a great engine for $50 million if they could get all their staff back and if the FIA would let them develop their old engine to catch up with the others despite the engineering freeze. Probably a Honda or Mercedes engine would be more realistic.

The hundred people in the engineering department (not counting those who will attend the races) would need a manufacturing facility. They could probably get the monocoques made by outsides contractors but would need an in-house autoclave to make, repair and develop bodywork. They also need to be able to machine parts including an EDM machining centre or two and some sophisticated fabrication tools to make uprights, gearbox cases, bulkheads. Access to a good half-scale, moving-ground windtunnel with yaw and steer capability is a must as is a up-to-date CFD department. An electonics department would design the looms although they could be manufactured, along with the steering wheels, outside by a company like Beru F1.

Other staff would be involved in marketing, administration, organizing travel, catering, and all those other things a company of that size needs.

Don't forget the motorhome which has to be an architectural wonder in the modern paddock. Transporters for the cars, of course, are imperative to carry all the garage equipment, telemetry receivers, workstations, garage decoration, overhead gantry, 20 or so firesuits for the pitcrew and the three cars.

All you need now are the drivers, 2 racers and a tester.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

:whistle: Trevor, are you looking at starting an F1 team, you seem well informed!? :X

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

The job's yours, Jonathon, if you can bring the $300 million.

We may be in luck Trev - over the last few weeks I've inherited close to this amount from about 45 different long lost relatives who left me all their money in Nigeria (wonder if any of them know the Stig's African cousin?) :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

Hi lads, I am with you on lots of your comments (Lotus back in F1) Lotus Cars can't use the name Team Lotus as it is still owned by David Hunt , hence Clive Chapman has to operate under the name of Classic Team Lotus , so anybody interested to start racing again will have to buy the name back from him and however much would that cost.

David is a super chap and wants to go racing , but the conditions and climate have to right.

You never know whats in the pipe line and it's not dead in the water yet.

Nick Fulcher

Mike Kimberley's 'Can Do' Trim Guru

Man would that be a day to remember, a black and gold Lotus F1 car on the grid, or for that matter any F1 car with the Lotus name on it ....

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

The first GP I ever attended was the British at Aintree in 1962, won by a Lotus driven by Jim Clark.

But why would Lotus come back to GP in 2008, if it ain't red it can't win, it's no longer cutting edge technology, nor is it relevant to the modern car. I've been a fan all my life, but some one wake me up when Max and Bernie are gone if there's anything left.

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Just an Idea now that the FIA whants to make a F2 series again that would be a great place to start Team Lotus Again but I would go for green design with yellow stripes