free hit
counters
Reinstalling Delco Powermaster ABS III - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Red

Reinstalling Delco Powermaster ABS III

Hi all,

A while back I started down a path to replace the Delco unit with something custom because of the issues with the switch reliability and availability. In the end I decided to follow Pauls switch solution which means putting everything but the switch back in. Problem is.....it's been out a while, and I'm having trouble working out where some bits go. The manuals and the photos I took are helping to an extent, but I'm stuck on this one at the moment.

From all I can see, these two plates should meet, but as you can see they do not. And they're off my a suspicious distance of the thickness of the brackets. The clutch bracket is sat on top of the clutch, the shim plate(?) is sat inside the brake bracket. All firewall bolts are tightened to bottoming out. The fuse-side bolt slips through and dangles free. The clutch-side bolt has to be forced through and is pissed afterwards. Is it just that the clutch bracket somehow got bent? I still can't see that closing the gap. Can anybody tell me what is missing here, or take a top down photo of their system?

Also, the brake bracket is on the right way up. If flipped over the brackets touch at the bottom but not at the top.

Many thanks

20140420_124239.jpg

20180113_155328.jpg

20180113_160119.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It’s a rubbish system - reckon it’ll be easier to continue ripping it out and placing in the bin where it belongs chap

It's the only one that will allow me to drive my car, so it wins points for that.

Stick to your original plan 

I've changed my opinion about the Delco system (see recent post). Was out playing with my car yesterday and still very pleased with how normal it feels now.

Hi,

The Delco system brakes fine, but it has to be in good shape. When you see bubbles (very small, milky look) in the reservoir, the system is broken, and does not brake well, and the pedal pushes back.

Your plates: (I went to see mine - S4) the order looks ok, I did not notice shims and they nicely touch. There are some towers used at the base, may be there are different lengths used to allign things (and may be different thicknesses are used on differente places? - Mixing up is possible?) I would add some spacers where the mounting is of the upper bracket...

Good success!