free hit
counters
Excel, Whats it worth? - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
charles b

Excel, Whats it worth?

Good afternoon, Massive newbie here. I have been looking for an Excel for a while and one has surfaced on eBay.  Its a 1987 Excel 2.0 with 35,000 miles on the clock. I have looked at the DVLA MOT history service and its seems to have a consistent mileage and a very healthy MOT history although it has had 9 owners. I have spoken to the vendor and he seems like a genuine chap. The car is described as in excellent condition with some age related marks and has a red (!) cloth interior and silver bodywork. It also has the optional AC. My problem is I have no real idea of its approximate value. I have looked on other classifieds and there doesn't seem to be much consistency. Please could one of the experts out there give me some idea of its value, so I have some idea of where my bidding limit should be?  I am going to look at the car on Saturday and believe myself to be a competent judge of classic car condition. However, is there anything out of the ordinary that I should look at?

Many, many thanks and if someone knows about any other cars available, it would be great to get those details also.

Charles. 

lotus 1.jpg

lotus 2.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Charles

Welcome to the forum. Wherabouts are you?

Been up for sale for quite a while, with the same pictures - check Cazana - clicky - you'll have to sign up to get to see the photos & ads. I think someone on here has been to see it as I'm fairly sure that I discussed it with them.

My main concern with the car is that although it has been regularly MOT'd, it hasn't done many miles between tests - i.e. 34935 in 07/2017,  34310 in 10/2007, so 600 miles in 10 years. When I bought mine, it had done 3000 miles in 15 years, and I had to spend another £3k+ getting evertything working. Have driven ~20k over the last three years.

How long ago was the cam belt changed? "recent" in the ad needs to be within 2 years - irrelevant if told it was "only" 300 miles ago. I'd recommend changing it anyway if you buy it. Would you be doing your own work?

I wouldn't worry about the number of owners.

Big plus for me with the car is it has Air Con - check it is working. I wish mine had as I'd like to take the family to the south of France in it, but without A/C it's a no-go.

Mine is red 1/2 leather, I think that the cloth is much better and don't get full leather.

Chris

• Thanks 1

Thanks Chris, that’s very sage advice. I am in Oxfordshire so only 30 miles away from this one. I won’t be doing my own work so would have to factor the cam belt into my final bid. I absolutely agree that it should be done as soon as purchased. What would you say on value? Looking at a few classic car price calculators, 6500? 

Many thanks for your help.

with regards,

Charles. 

Hi Charles

I think the lack of miles reduces it's value quite considerably, but difficult one on value as prices have been moving up slowly over the past year or so.

There's an E reg on C&C for £4k that might be worth checking - but a bit further away though.

Also a 1989 black - full leather, for £6.5k - was probably on the line at the same time as mine, seems like a factory vehicle as well. Lots of advisories, not fixed, which is a bit of a worry.

The later car the better - also search for Lotus Eclat as most have this on the V5 and some dealers will list it as such, and it won't appear on searches for Excel - I watched mine drop in price over an 18 month period maybe due to this :thumbup:

What time on Saturday? I'm not too far away in Hertfordshire if you want to check an Excel for comparison.

Chris

Just as my stab id say thats gotta be worth £6.5k Just look at it. Look at the interior! id say if all works well youre never going to lose much money on that.

buddsy

@Buddsy - I sort of agree, but, and it's a big but, it's not been used, I think that's a big downer. Large potential bill to get it running correctly, replacing stuff etc. - which I have experience of with my Excel.

Check this one https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C936133 £6.5k as well. Later car, more miles, more usage - ok it's leather and it doesn't have air con.

• Like 1

Check the condition of the window frames and the door beams. Look at the nut on top of the door hinge. If it turns when you open the door the beam has had it. Check both windows go up and down smoothly. Rest of the excel is fairly bullet proof. Handbrake looks a little high,  might just be adjustment or possible new shoes. Lotusexcel.net is a good place for buying advice

First up - I am in no way an expert. Second I am a tight Scottish git and usually value things considerably south of where other people do.

If I thought I could buy a 35 K mile excel SE in what looks like immaculate condition for 6.5K - I would be at the guys doorstep tomorrow. That one is a 10 grand + car all day long.

Bad points:

• The interior colour might not be to everyone's taste
  • The exterior colour perhaps isn't the strongest

Good points:

• everything else, condition, mileage, spec....

That's an investment grade example of an excel.

(just my tuppence worth...)

Dunc

• Like 2

just my thoughts , the interior would put off most people, think 6500 is too much to pay for a private sale car which has had little regular use, Myself i would rather pay a little more from a dealer with a warranty and more miles with a recent cam belt change.

Funny how most of us are considering the low mileage a downside! If it was any other make, it would probably be just the opposite...

The car looks good in the pictures, so £6.5k would seem fair. But only if it passes a closer inspection, pictures tell only a very small part of the story. Especially if you wont do any work yourself, you need to find a car that is in great shape on all fronts. Otherwise you'll be spending considerable amounts getting things sorted.

Good luck with your search!

Filip

Don't under estimate what might need doing to a little used vehicle BUT for me, the most important factor is overall condition. If you are prepared to take on ownership of one of these cars then you should always expect an ongoing cost - like any hobby? Less socially unacceptable than golf in my honest opinion (and arguably cheaper annually?)

I bought a low miler, 40 year old (2 years ago) Elite in good overall nick but with plenty to do. Yours (potentially) looks in way better condition so you shouldn't need to worry about anything other than 'consumables' (that covers all manner of things but for example you don't need a windscreen (£350 + fitting), interior is lovely etc etc

I'd think seriously about belts, engine crank seals (F+R), water pump, fuel pipes, bushes etc - Toyota underpinnings will simplify significantly over the Elite but you still need to go in with your eyes open. I have the dubious benefit of doing stuff myself - advantage - cheaper, disadvantage - time and getting over the next bit that you need before progressing (lol!)

To give some perspective, I paid circa £2.5k for mine and will spend more than £4k on mine which includes me doing all the grunt/labour - and I'm not doing a concourse job, just trying to get her useable.

At the end of the day I let my heart rule my head and I don't regret it. I'm guessing that if everyone bought a proper classic car (to use) without the heart taking over, there wouldn't be much of a classic car market.

Good luck with your decision/choice.

btw - I'm no expert so please feel free to ignore me :P

Buy the best you can afford and make sure you have plenty in reserves for upkeep and repairs both emergencies and prevention.

these cars get under your skin - an utter bitch when they ain’t running - but you’ll forgive anything when they are

Thanks so much to everyone who has found the time to contribute. I now have a huge amount to think about. I am going to have a look at the weekend and will report back. Sorry not to have messaged before but work has been mental today. I think I do deserve a new toy!

with regards,

Charles. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pete said:

just my thoughts , the interior would put off most people, think 6500 is too much to pay for a private sale car which has had little regular use, Myself i would rather pay a little more from a dealer with a warranty and more miles with a recent cam belt change.

Be careful of some dealers.  They are only in it for the money.  Check the blurb description for a load of old tosh.  They can make poo smell of roses. :)

@johnpwalsh has just rescued one - he would prep it to your requirements and budget I have no doubt.

@charles b you’d be avoiding the shark traders that way

• Thanks 1

Only my opinion but after seeing the pics I thought a dealer would be asking around 8 k , I agree not the strongest colour had it been calypso blue beige leather I’d have said 9.5-10k so 6.5 doesn’t seem bad however if he’s had it a while it’s always worth a low bid , stress the low usage to him .I bought a low mileage esprit with good history and was told to expect £2k a year running costs , I spent £4.5 k in the first 3 months , that being said she cost less than a grand a year there after so if it’s a long term investment and you like what you see try and squeeze him a bit and if your happy go for it !! I’m no expert but sounds like some of these guys are so I would take somebody with you who knows .if you get her at the right price and hold on to her you’re gonna get your money back at the least, as these cars are only going one way , don’t miss the boat ! , I sold my esprit for £10k it’s now for sale for £30k ,that said if it doesn’t feel right there will be others !!

Good luck !!!

7 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

@johnpwalsh has just rescued one - he would prep it to your requirements and budget I have no doubt.

@charles b you’d be avoiding the shark traders that way

As mentioned by Barry. I currently have a few available and both currently under the cost of the car being mentioned. Both cars can be speckled up to your own requirements and budget. One in Pacific Blue metallic with nice light Grey full leather interior, the other in BRG metallic with Beige full leather interior. Both have good service history and both will have belts and fluids changed as a standard. 

• Like 1

Thanks Barry, please could we talk tomorrow when I have finished the inspection that I am on. Also, please could you send me some details and pics of the cars? My email is [email protected]

many thanks,

charles. 

Think you mean John

Remember it's only money but you can swap it for period piece of futurism that you will think about a lot good and bad.

However much you inspect it it's always a gamble and the things that  need fixing are often unexpected. It would help of you felt prepared to do some  basic mechanical work though as that way it won't need to spend so much time at a mechanic's.

They aren't getting any more common these days. ..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tom kilner said:

Remember it's only money but you can swap it for period piece of futurism that you will think about a lot good and bad.

However much you inspect it it's always a gamble and the things that  need fixing are often unexpected. It would help of you felt prepared to do some  basic mechanical work though as that way it won't need to spend so much time at a mechanic's.

They aren't getting any more common these days. ..

That's for sure. Good projects are now at the same price level as near pristine cars two years ago. This is also dragging some real sad cases out of the woods with a few dealers looking for top money for them. Mind you it's about time they got the attention they deserved same as the cracking M100.

14 hours ago, johnpwalsh said:

As mentioned by Barry. I currently have a few available and both currently under the cost of the car being mentioned. Both cars can be speckled up to your own requirements and budget. One in Pacific Blue metallic with nice light Grey full leather interior, the other in BRG metallic with Beige full leather interior. Both have good service history and both will have belts and fluids changed as a standard. 

Is the blue one an SA?  (Just for clarity) :)

Hi St,  yes the Blue one is an SA. The Green one an SE.

Hi Charles

There is a Red SE coming available soon.  In excellent condition and extremely well carried for. Just passed it's MOT and has one of the best paint jobs I have seen.  Have to say it's red and not pink and I dont say that ever :)

Let me know if you want to persue.

Stu

• Thanks 1