free hit
counters
S4s exhaust replacement - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hello Everyone,

While not a top priority I will need to do something about my S4s silencer. It's not too rusty but apparently something got loose inside ... So, I am starting to check what is avaible. I would like to keep a stock look, so it will be a right side pipe exhaust.

I already identified a few, but it's quite difficult to chose without hearing them. I would enjoy something a sporty at high rev but it would be nice it if keeps relatively quite when idling and very important, not unbearable on the motorway.

- find a stock one? (not cheap when new compared to stainless variants, maybe someone has one which he would be happy to sell?)

- Quicksilver (£577 with the silencer option from TLF, maybe minus 10%?)

- PNM engineering (£354 inc VAT, on the M100 it has a good reputation for its noise and good on the motorway, too). Found that sound sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cvazCi5B70

- Larini (available? price? sound?)

- Janspeed (available? barely any info on their website ...) Can't find any sound sample?

- Ramspott (~750€ apparently? https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/84687-exhaust-upgrade-options-for-gt3/?tab=comments#comment-672046)

- SJ Sportscars (not listed anymore I think?, sound sample?)

Anything considered but honestly I would prefer not put too much money in this, as I suppose the PNM is probably OK, I think it would be hard to justify much more?

Thanks in advance, especially for a few samples if you get some!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The old exhaust off mine will be for sale as soon as I hear the car run - from cat to tip. 

• Like 1

Well why not if it's still good, will depends on price and shipping price of course! Just tell me when you are ready! :)

——————————————————————————

Updated list (Ramspott 2018 price)

- find a stock one? (not cheap when new compared to stainless variants, maybe someone has one which he would be happy to sell?)

- Quicksilver (£577 with the silencer option from TLF, maybe minus 10%?)

- PNM engineering (£354 inc VAT, on the M100 it has a good reputation for its noise and good on the motorway, too). Found that sound sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cvazCi5B70

- Larini (available? price? sound?)

- Janspeed (available? barely any info on their website ...) Can't find any sound sample?

- Ramspott (839€, http://ramspott-brandt.de/shop-english/index.htm https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/84687-exhaust-upgrade-options-for-gt3/?tab=comments#comment-672046)

- SJ Sportscars (not listed anymore I think?, sound sample?)

Interesting, I didn't know it was that quick to build? Isn't there a bit of "research" to get a good sound? (what frequencies should be cancelled, etc)
Maybe it's more or less independent from the engine?

That's my PNM S4S twin back box. They make a very good product and so easy to fit. The sound is very good with the cat removed I think.??

Edited by S4S 4

Yes indeed I recognised the mica yellow car ^^ Thanks for the video upload, it's interesting :)

Would you say the sound is not too loud while driving gently? (motorway, ...)

No problem I thought it might give some fellow enthusiasts a chance to listen to the sound. It is quiet on a motorway run. If you go through the rev range then it's a lot louder and loads of pops and bangs on the over run??

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, S4S 4 said:

It is quiet on a motorway run. If you go through the rev range then it's a lot louder and loads of pops and bangs on the over run??

Well it's very tempting then :D

Thanks ^^

Who has an alunox one ?

I have a Quicksilver exhaust system. The one with a "silencer". Cat back. I bought the Esprit this way, but have listened to an original exhaust on a similar standard car.

The standard exhaust system is big, very heavy and completely silenced, so not interesting to me.

The Quicksilver is made in a different way. It's stainless and it still have two hangers, which by the way breaks once in a while. I reinforced them to stay put. I called Quicksilver as I also heard from another Esprit driver, whose bracket broke as well. It seems though, that nearly all systems have the same hangers. Just something to look after. The "silencer" is a silencer, as the Quicksilver system can also be bought without a silencer. Bibs had this I think, and it is extremely noisy. Ask him ;)  Mine have a small silencer and it looks good installed, leaving a bit more airflow from engine bay to rear of car, to rid the heat better. I suppose nearly all aftermarket systems are like this. The quicksilver system is light. A lot lighter. On an otherwise standard Esprit, it pops and bangs on the overrun. This sound will be slightly louder if one also installs a free flow cat or a non-cat (I installed a free flow cat later, together with a tubular exhaust manifold). The sound from the system itself while driving is snarly and very nice to listen to, when acclerating and driving fast. Cruising is much more refined with an absolute bearable sound level and tone to it. No problem. For example a 650 km long trip for me and my wife, gave us no irritation or nervewrecking drone from this Quicksilver exhaust.

Installing an alunox tubular exhaust manifold is another matter. The sound gets louder, and surely with more grunt, more snarl and deeper tone. The best of it all is, that it also gets a distinct raspy sound. Very addictive! It picks up speed much better, but that's another talk.

The Larini is also more snarly and loud, but a bit different to the Quicksilver.

The Ramspott und Brandt I personally haven't listened to, but hopefully will soon, as a friend wants this specific system. I heard it fits well. Very polished, but gets brown over time as all stainless does when used. A polish is fine.

The alunox backsystem is another story. It doesn't fit very well, for at least two I spoke to about it. I cannot speak of sound of otherwise, but personally having bought both their tubular manifold, which didn't exactly fit well, to say the least, and they did not respond in any way back to me, and also having bought their complete coolersystem (rad pack and oil coolers) which was terribly bad made (I have lot's of Pictures on this) and eventually I had it returned and refunded, which was fine. I know others had to modify theirs and the same regarding their exhaust system. I would therefore only recommend their exhaust manifold, and only if you are prepared to modify. Don't take my Words for it though, as quality seems to vary a great deal, and others may have perfectly made and fitting things. In all fairness they may have improved a great deal over time. Others will maybe be able to comment on this. Gets brown over time as all stainless does, and a bit of polish will redeem that.

I have had good response about the Quicksilver system on my Esprit, from both neighbours trying to signal to me in signlanguage - you know, a tight fist wawed at me) and from passers by. It's very very good sounding at idle as well, and I had for example a Group of japanese tourists clap spontaneously at the sound, as I let it warm up and left an exhibition, where as my friends 911 with sports system, did not catch their interest ;) Gets brown over time as all stainless, but polish up if need be. Tubing are not entirely mandrell bent and could be a bit better. It's not visible when installed and from behind it looks very good with fat tubes signaling a fast car. Which it is :)  Tips are adjustable in length and position. Responds well to tuning the car, at least up to 350hp. More may need 1/4 - 1/2" more width in tubing. Easy peasy to install the Quicksilver back system. I got lighter stainless clamps than was delivered which is rusty mild steel, as I wanted them as light as possible. From Car builders soloutions in the UK. Saves 67 grams and stays nice. Yeah, I know, bolts are too long. But at least they are stainless, till' I find the right ones in titanium.

Highly recommended. Added a few pics to explain matters.

Just my two pence.

jacques

forstærket udstødningsophæng.JPG

zorst1.JPG

zorst2.JPG

zorst3.JPG

zorst5.JPG

zorst6.JPG

• Like 1

Nice system Jacques . My PNM back box has a larger silencer than yours but still sounds good. I have the PNM de cat pipe and the manifold would be a great upgrade are there any choices in these or only Alunox.

I have the same quicksilver exhaust but without the silencer in it.

I might have decatted it and added a small silencer in where the cat should be

I have the Quicksilver, single outlet and I really like it. Really sounds good on the S4.

I am still looking for one loosely, does anyone have a photo and audio recording of the SJS one?

I found one of @Vanya's recording which helps a bit (thanks!).
Does it drone on the motorway? This recording is from a single pipe silencer I presume?

On 03/08/2018 at 22:50, Giniw said:

I am still looking for one loosely, does anyone have a photo and audio recording of the SJS one?

I found one of @Vanya's recording which helps a bit (thanks!).
Does it drone on the motorway? This recording is from a single pipe silencer I presume?

Hi man sorry for the slow reply. 

It's ok on the motorway to be honest. The Esprit's biggest failings are road and wind noise at high speed, not the drone of the exhaust. Albeit it's not as quiet as with the stock cat and stock exhaust. 

You are correct it's a single pipe silencer (the one SJ sells)

• Thanks 1

I have the SJ Supersports system on my car, but with no cat. When I bought the car it had the cat canister in the downpipe, but when I took the exhaust off to remove the engine, I noticed someone had removed the guts. On full throttle it sounds like a Supermarine Spitfire peeling off to engage a Messerschmidt which is nice, albeit briefly, but at idle it resonates very badly. On a long journey I find the noise wearing, more so on the driver's side than the passenger side.

I really should fit a cat to see whether it becomes more bearable. Until then, I cannot recommend this system to anyone.

• Thanks 1

I’ve got a load of 3” pipe welded on mine. Very free flowing - and loud. It has a small silencer - which I shall change in the next few weeks for one at least twice the size. It cost £145 in bits and fittings and £50 in labour to weld and polish.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Chillidoggy and @Barrykearley :)

Well in the end I have bought one used which surfaced on ebay, apparently it had been used only for a couple of month before storage, and it does look OK from the photos.
I can't wait to hear that Spitfire-ish sound ( :D ), and the other hand I am a bit worried about the sound when idling ... but I got it for only £125 (+£22 shipping), so it's not that risky ... And I have a standard cat, and a couple of weeks ago I also bought a used SJS catalyst (still in the garage ...) so I will report if it makes any difference (but I don't have a cat bypass so won't be able to compare to your setup @Chillidoggy — but I will probably do a few recordings.).

• Like 1

I have installed 2.5" Micklewright exhaust retaining the CAT. Deep gargling sound, no drone. CAT acts as a "pre-muffler" muffler keeping drone at check.

Removed some dead weight, improved flow and sound note.
Only 13 lbs (vs 33 lbs OE).
Note: Nuts at the turbo flange were... 11/32" and not 17mm !

This is 2.5" system, like OEM, but David Vizard says the 3" would be more appropriate for the 910 turbos.
IMO, 3" systemt could be easily fabricated of the bits from eBay and Amazon.
FYI: 6"x14" body Magnaflow 3" in/out polished muffler number PN# is 14619.
HEDMAN 21156 3in Ball & Socket -you'll need one.

Custom exhaust.jpg

• Thanks 1

Hello Everyone,

Well, I was happily putting my exhaust and sports cat on the Esprit the other day when I noticed that the silencer part of my new exhaust is actually touching the lower rear corner of the gearbox!? That could be a problem with the SJS silencer of course, but I gather it is not because my original silencer (a proper original Lotus one apparently) had been indented to allow a bit more clearance so that it doesn't touch the gearbox either.

As the silencer mounting is hanging on the gearbox itself it obviously excludes an engine alignment problem with the rest of the car, and from what I can see the silencer mounting brackets look original and untouched.

Any ideas?! Has that been already been encountered by someone?! Maybe something is not original on my gearbox?!

0_silencer.jpg

1_silencer_detail.jpg

2_sjs_silencer_bumping_into_gearbox.jpg

4_silencer_and_gearbox.jpg

Edited by Giniw

Now I am wondering whether the part labelled #4 is mounted on top of the part #3 on mine, I will check that later tonight ... That could give a bit more clearance.

5_silencer_parts_manual.png

Edited by Giniw

How are your exhaust tips aligned in the valence? 

I normally loosen everything up, including the down pipe with the cat from the turbo. align the tips, and make sure the muffler body isn't touching, and then tighten everything up, making sure there are no exhaust leaks.

You can also install washers to space the muffler down a bit.

Thanks =)

The original one (the indented one) is properly aligned in the valence, at least I haven't noticed anything suspicious. I have not had the time to check the mounting yesterday, I am going to do it in a moment.

The SJS one is centred laterally but a bit high so far, but of course as it's titled and not fully screwed because of the gearbox it's not surprising.