free hit
counters
S4s exhaust replacement - Page 2 - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

S4s exhaust replacement

• 6 months later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hello,

I also looking for a new exhaust. Does anybody have experience with `Quicksilver"? I have read already about it in this thread, but 

which type would you choose here? :

https://quicksilverexhausts.store/collections/lotus-espirit/products/lotus-esprit-sport-exhaust-1989-03?variant=12913977720874

Important for me is the original design ( RH exit ) and it should be not too loud.

Thanks, Thilo

Edited by Z06FAN

I have a 2.5" straight pipe that leads to a 3" Hayward and Scott V8 style back box. The sound is immense. Just the right volume, burbly absolutely no drone and spits flames on overrun.

(and yes, I have changed the dump valve so it no longer sounds like this)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Gold FFM

Hayward and Scott make some lovely exhausts. I've got one of their systems on one of my other cars and the quality of the fabrication work is exceptional. I'm planning to have them build a system for my S4s once I've got it up and running properly again, but that is still some way off yet.

Norfolk Mustard S4s #1 :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have an alunox set up - 3 inch from turbo and twin tips - I love it. It has even flow to both tips ( a major problem with other units and it looks silly with just one pipe steaming) and a great sound - not overwhelming or annoying.  

image.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 29/06/2019 at 10:05, Z06FAN said:

Hello,

I also looking for a new exhaust. Does anybody have experience with `Quicksilver"? I have read already about it in this thread, but 

which type would you choose here? :

https://quicksilverexhausts.store/collections/lotus-espirit/products/lotus-esprit-sport-exhaust-1989-03?variant=12913977720874

Important for me is the original design ( RH exit ) and it should be not too loud.

Thanks, Thilo

Dual exhaust for S4s is not necessarily the best solution. IMO, it adds too much weight, complexity and extends wave termination point further away.

Not the looks, but sound wave modeling determines what is right for your set up. CAT removal makes a difference, too.

Short, simple, but purposeful, like this Micklewright exhaust- works miracles.

IMG_8959.JPG

• Gold FFM
On 05/02/2018 at 23:16, Jacques said:

I have a Quicksilver exhaust system. The one with a "silencer". Cat back. I bought the Esprit this way, but have listened to an original exhaust on a similar standard car.

The standard exhaust system is big, very heavy and completely silenced, so not interesting to me.

The Quicksilver is made in a different way. It's stainless and it still have two hangers, which by the way breaks once in a while. I reinforced them to stay put. I called Quicksilver as I also heard from another Esprit driver, whose bracket broke as well. It seems though, that nearly all systems have the same hangers. Just something to look after. 

Nearside bracket broke on my Quicksilver exhaust as well. Made quite a rattle. Welded now. 

20190802_113620.jpg

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

The exhaust on my S4s is a 3” customer made stainless steel unit. £128 in stainless bits and about £30 in welding by my fabrication mate. Full decat - exhaust hanger won’t break as it’s a 40mm strip of stainless welded across the small silencer - picking up the two existing exhaust mounts.

i read so much about exhausts and costs etc - it’s really very cost effective to make your own

Only here once

Sounds good Barry. If possible, I'd like to see a picture showing how the bracketry is made.

Speaking of decat'ing, it is strictly illegal in Denmark and if caught by road check brigades, it'll give you a new MOT and a heavy fine.

This Summer Danish authorities upped the game by inflating their road control posts heavily, issuing a few thousand fines to noisy and otherwise illegal motor vechiles. Plus of course, the electric menance on two wheels. Not my cup of tea, really. Too much resemblance to totalitarian regimes through history, for my liking.

Kind regards,

Jacques

• Like 2

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

On 02/02/2018 at 16:02, Barrykearley said:

Who has an alunox one ?

i have one from Alunox made to my spec.  It is 2.5", not obnoxious.  It is a long 6" round straight thru with cat.  very light and simple.  This is first engine start after rebuild.  I'm not sure if parking brake cables would interfere, i cut and rerouted them atop the trailing arms when i installed big brakes

Alunox exhaust.flv

• Like 1

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND

• 2 weeks later...