free hit
counters
visiting from Switzerland - need your help & suggestions what to visit (museum, racetrack, races, events, places of interest, anything car-related etc.) - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Testdriver

visiting from Switzerland - need your help & suggestions what to visit (museum, racetrack, races, events, places of interest, anything car-related etc.)

Hello @ all! My wife and I will be visiting south England this year from 20th of August until 11th of September (however, 06-11 SEP is booked for the Goodwood Revival). 

For the first time, I'll travel with the Elite :wub: to England, where as in the past, we've taken the plane and rented a car. 

May I kindly ask for your suggestions to help making the most out of our holiday? 

We will start in Zurich, having a stop-over in Reims/Gueux/France (abandoned racetrack), then heading to Dunkirk and taking the ferry to Dover. First night then will be in Folkstone. 

'must-see' for us is Dartmoor, New Forest, Jurassic cost, Lymington, Weymouth, Yelverton, Bristol, Cheltenham and Oxford. Any other particular places to visit that you would recommend for a specific reason?

We've been at the motor museum in Beaulieu and in Gaydon in the previous years. As per villages/cities, we've visited Bath, Tintagel, (skipped land's end!), Weymouth, Yelverton, Cheltenham, some villages on the jurassic coast, and some more that I can't recall right now 

We plan to visit Anglesey on 01/02. SEP as it seems there is an event then Anglesey Event Link do you think it's worth it? Looking at youtube videos, the circuit looks amazing! 

Any other events you would suggest? Races, hillclimbs, dirt-tracks, track-days, club meetings, etc.? (Lotus Factory Tour in August is fully booked :()

My wife :wub:is fortunately (!) also very much in love with cars, although she does not know much about the technical bits. But every time when we go to a museum, car show etc. she proves to have a good taste. She chooses by the looks. Last time it was a vintage car show with about 2000 cars, and she chose the BMW 507 as her favored car :) (''wow, that's the most beautiful car here - is it expensive? Can we afford one?'')

I'll have to book the hotels soon as it's school holiday in August. Thanks for your comments!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Daniel, If you love cars you will love the Haynes motor museum, it has recently had an £8 million revamp, and is situated in the South West about half way between Weymouth and Bristol. It is far bigger than Beaulieu and has a few Loti including an Elite.

On the South coast Portsmouth is an interesting city, being the home of the Royal Navy, you can explore the Mary Rose museum, the spinnaker tower or embark the historic ships such as HMS Victory, Lord Nelson's flagship.

The city of Salisbury with its cathedral is beautiful and very close to the New Forest, and Cheddar Gorge the home of Cheddar cheese is close to Bristol, and if you fancy a tipple, the Butcombe brewery is just a few miles down the road.

Just a few to mull over, Steve. 

The best advice I can give for anyone going to Anglesey is to take some decent waterproof clothing. That includes the ‘summer’ months.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Avoid Gloucester - it’s a dump

• Like 1

Also allow for our clogged road system. 

• Like 1

Stonehenge is worth a visit. Wookie Hole caves if you like exploring (near Bristol and Bath).

The Costwolds is an area from Bristol towards Oxford which has some beautiful old English villages (Broadway is one famous one). Would be a great drive in the summer.

:) 

that's great, thanks for your help, you're amazing :-) 

I've added:
Haynes Motor Museum
Portsmouth
Salisbury
Stonehenge
Costwolds/Broadway
Cheddar Gorge
Butcombe Brewery

plenty of waterproof clothing: we'll bring that anyway, but except last year in September, we've always had good weather in the past years!
and avoid Gloucester (is that just the city or the district?) never had too bad experiences with traffic etc.

Anything racing-related you would suggest?

Hi Daniel , If you have any problems whilst down this way give me a call I am in Portsmouth  [ Pompey to the locals ] although I don't have an Elite 

I do have an Excel also loads of tools plus the all important Eclat/Elite workshop manual [ that's for sale if any ones interested ]

Cheers   Ian

nothing for Margate?

Nice little Cotswold cottage between Broadway and Stratford upon Avon if you're looking for somewhere to stay while in the area.....:lol:

TLFers discounts available.

http://www.eldercottage.co.uk

There is soo much to see... and if you stay that long, no visit to highlands, Lake District and of course Mike??

oh and every time we are there we get a decent sun burn... just saying ;-)

Edited by Don.Hasi

On 19/01/2018 at 18:54, Chillidoggy said:

The best advice I can give for anyone going to Anglesey is to take some decent waterproof clothing. That includes the ‘summer’ months.

I'll second that. Although to be fair, the times I've been there it's been the wind that was the dominant weather feature rather than rain!

It has to be the most picturesque race track in the UK, but it's a long drive from the South. I would want to make sure there was something worth watching going on before I made the journey. I guess you could break up the journey at Shelsley Walsh hill climb or Oulton Patk circuit if there was something interesting going on the day before. And if you drive to Anglesey via the Snowdonia National Park it's a beautiful run.

25th -26th August is British hill climb championship at Gurston down hill climb near Salisbury.

British sports car club event at Thruxton race circuit 1st-2nd Sep near Andover.

I am near the New forest if you want to meet for a chat about Elites!

On 1/20/2018 at 10:13, pompey ice said:

Hi Daniel , If you have any problems whilst down this way give me a call I am in Portsmouth  [ Pompey to the locals ] although I don't have an Elite 

I do have an Excel also loads of tools plus the all important Eclat/Elite workshop manual [ that's for sale if any ones interested ]

Cheers   Ian

Thanks Ian that would be great to meeting you! Could you please PM me your contact details, I'll reply then with mine :-) 

On 1/20/2018 at 11:06, Chillidoggy said:

Thanks! Prescott is just the same weekend as Anglesey, will have to choose between the two...

On 1/20/2018 at 12:20, Dave Eds said:

Nice little Cotswold cottage between Broadway and Stratford upon Avon if you're looking for somewhere to stay while in the area.....:lol:

TLFers discounts available.

http://www.eldercottage.co.uk

Thanks, will be in Cheltenham 2 nights, so Cotswold is on the list :-) 

On 1/20/2018 at 12:23, Chillidoggy said:

Well, we do have the eastern European Banger Racing most Saturday nights in Dalby Square but there's no specified start time, as it depends on the 999 calls for that evening, and whether the Old Bill can spare any cars to chase them round.

Aside from that, there's not much to see unless you fancy looking at Tracey Emin's Unmade Bed.

Banger cars - why not for a change! :)

On 1/20/2018 at 15:20, Don.Hasi said:

There is soo much to see... and if you stay that long, no visit to highlands, Lake District and of course Mike??

oh and every time we are there we get a decent sun burn... just saying ;-)

Mike @lotusbits? good idea!

Highlands is a bit too far this time, have been there last June, and it was wonderful!

@ sun burn yes I know, we've been in England 4 time the last 3 years, and had barely any rain (maybe 5 days out of 40), we usually bring the sun with us :)

13 hours ago, Filbee said:

I'll second that. Although to be fair, the times I've been there it's been the wind that was the dominant weather feature rather than rain!

It has to be the most picturesque race track in the UK, but it's a long drive from the South. I would want to make sure there was something worth watching going on before I made the journey. I guess you could break up the journey at Shelsley Walsh hill climb or Oulton Patk circuit if there was something interesting going on the day before. And if you drive to Anglesey via the Snowdonia National Park it's a beautiful run.

Snowdonia National Park is on the list :)

11 hours ago, pbharcourt said:

25th -26th August is British hill climb championship at Gurston down hill climb near Salisbury.

British sports car club event at Thruxton race circuit 1st-2nd Sep near Andover.

I am near the New forest if you want to meet for a chat about Elites!

Hillclimb sounds great! Will have a look into it and try to fit it into our schedule :)

You said Dartmoor is on your list. Then a visit to SJ Sportscars (www.sjsportscars.com) should be included.

I've always found Steve and his team very helpful, both when visiting in person and on the phone.

As others have also mentioned - a visit to LotusBits is always great. Just make sure you have space (and cash) for all those bits you'll buy knowing you need them one day :-)

Tony

I organise free tickets to Lotus Owners for the Gold Cup (26th/27th Aug 2018)....Historic Racing/VSCC

http://www.oultonparkgoldcup.com/

I can include you if you wish (as you might be heading to Anglesey)

and if youre taking previous advise about driving through Snowdonia then would you like the route for the 'Evo Triangle'?

I am up in the North West (Buxton/Manchester/Sheffield/Peak District) if you need any further info for this area.....

cheers

Gareth

4 hours ago, TonyPoll said:

You said Dartmoor is on your list. Then a visit to SJ Sportscars (www.sjsportscars.com) should be included.

I've always found Steve and his team very helpful, both when visiting in person and on the phone.

As others have also mentioned - a visit to LotusBits is always great. Just make sure you have space (and cash) for all those bits you'll buy knowing you need them one day :-)

Tony

good idea, thanks, will do that!

4 hours ago, theelanman said:

I organise free tickets to Lotus Owners for the Gold Cup (26th/27th Aug 2018)....Historic Racing/VSCC

http://www.oultonparkgoldcup.com/

I can include you if you wish (as you might be heading to Anglesey)

and if youre taking previous advise about driving through Snowdonia then would you like the route for the 'Evo Triangle'?

I am up in the North West (Buxton/Manchester/Sheffield/Peak District) if you need any further info for this area.....

cheers

Gareth

wow, that would be great! Let me see if I can re-arrange our schedule a bit, I'll get back to you :-)

are you sure 3 weeks is long enough 

18 minutes ago, pete said:

are you sure 3 weeks is long enough 

I'll have to shorten here and there maybe

my wife thought it was too long :ph34r:

Usually we drive 2-6 hours a day depending on where we do stops (and how long), so should be ok

Have you thought about trying to book a lotus driving acamdemy starter session. It includes a factory tour ! Might be able to fix you in , in August that way 

If you're coming to the New Forest then you will be very welcome to join the Hampshire group for a drive out. Definitely let us know when you're in the area, we could always meet for lunch and I can show you a few favourite roads. Perfect excuse for me to get the Esprit out.

The big one for you around that time is the Lotus Festival at Brands Hatch. I'm not sure what the 2018 dates are but they are usually around the end of August, last year was the 2nd of September. Totally unmissable for any Lotus fan. You can even do a few gentle laps of Brands hatch as part of the parade laps at the end. It's the highlight of the year for many of us here. Should be extra special this year being the 70th Anniversary celebrations.