free hit
counters
Which trackdays for a 400? - Trackdays - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Solstice

Which trackdays for a 400?

I'm considering a 400 At the moment, had planned to do 5-6 trackdays during the summer, will the 400 be ok for 105db days?

thanks

gareth

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
48 minutes ago, Solstice said:

will the 400 be ok for 105db days?

No. It static tests at 108-109db. PM @JayEmm for more info. 

Lots of 400s have done 105db days. With the exhaust valve shut it can’t be much over 98db if you keep it below 5500rpm (same as standard ‘350’ exhaust). Most places ask for 5k rpm at the most during tests. If you get asked what it revs to, say 6500rpm and you’ll probably get asked for 4500rpm so getting through the static test shouldn’t be too bad. Drive-by is another story. I would advise spending the morning keeping the noise down, shortshifting at 5500rpm while you learn the track. Better to chance your arm in the afternoon after you’ve got some laps in. Once you feel you’ve had some fun, time to let it rip and hope for the best!

Must be a market for some kind of bolt on silencer though. Anyone aware of anything out there?

Welcome to the party, Mr Pits. 

There have been plenty of previous threads about exhaust options for tracking 400s:

Mr @JayEmm even did a little vid of when his car was sound tested at Snetterton:

FWIW, the tester at Brands doesn’t really bother to test 400s anymore. He knows that they will fail!

In short, no, there aren’t currently any bolt-ons for the OEM exhaust to bring it down to a sensible level. 

I’m not personally interested in a new silencer at the moment and would prefer a temporary bolt on solution if there was one. I’ll see how I get on at the noisier days first in any event.

Brief update, I had a chat with Jim at 2bular, he is just about to release a track exhaust which will be under 95db, it includes attenuation in the link pipe, and the link pipe should fit to the stock silencer as well, which will quieten it a little, but should make changing the exhaust easier (wouldn't want to loose the full effect when not on a quiet trackday!)

Hi Gareth. You might want to check out Hangar 111. They have just started marketing a range of in house developed  Silencers designed for track use which they call QT (Quiet Technology) silencers. I have one on my Elise 220 Cup as part of my Komo-Tec upgrade.