free hit
counters
Function of the Thermostatic Compensator - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
drdoom

Function of the Thermostatic Compensator

What does the thermostatic compensator on the heater water flow valve do?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It will make thermostatically controlled adjustments to the manual input you have selected via the heater control knob, altering the position of the flow valve to compensate for fluctuations in coolant temperature, thus supplying regulated heat to the cabin.

• Like 1

Thanks, Steve, that's how I figured it to work. I'd further ask how well does it function in practice? I wonder how this compensator might limit one's ability to control the entire range of temperatures, as compared to a non-compensated valve? 

I get your line of thought Steve. Sometimes I think it would be easier to have direct control of the valve, would require more fine-tuning, but you would get want you want and lose a potential point of failure. But I don't see an easy way to get rid of the compensator. It's very hard to get to the valve to begin with...

I think its function is closely linked to that of the now famous 'flux capacitor'.

The thermostatic compensator in my car didn't work well at all, I never did manage to get the cabin temperature stable, so I changed the whole assembly for a solenoid, which functions about the same.

Ian If your missus is like mine -  it’s either full hot or full cold chap.

16 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

The thermostatic compensator in my car didn't work well at all, I never did manage to get the cabin temperature stable, so I changed the whole assembly for a solenoid, which functions about the same.

Is that just an on or off scenario then....   

Oohh Barry beat me to it

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

With nothing in-between? Yup, that about sums it up. Let’s face it, we’ll never get it right!

My Ranco valve was also leaking, and they’re NLA, so not a lot of choice but to do the conversion.

12 hours ago, drdoom said:

Thanks, Steve, that's how I figured it to work. I'd further ask how well does it function in practice? I wonder how this compensator might limit one's ability to control the entire range of temperatures, as compared to a non-compensated valve? 

I suppose it depends how well the rest of the heating system is working. With compensator working you will never receive the maximum potential from the heater, as at full engine operating temperature the valve will be at its most restrictive. 

There are pros and cons, do you want max heat while stuck in traffic? The advantage being the heater matrix being a small radiator will help to dicipate heat from the cooling system.

4 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

My other half has climate control in her car, no matter how many times you explain that the heater will be at max until it reaches the desired temperature, she still gets in and turns it up to 150 degrees on a cold day, you just can't educate pork can you?....don't tell her I said that mind.

1 hour ago, Steve V8 said:

With compensator working you will never receive the maximum potential from the heater, as at full engine operating temperature the valve will be at its most restrictive. 

Hang on, you must have been listening to your other half :) Thats not how it works because the feedback is not from engine temp. Its from a capillary tube which is fed from a bulb in the airflow of heated air. So its an attempt to do climate control in a basic way.

• Like 1

And like my missus, it'll never do what i want it to.

52 minutes ago, Sparky said:

And like my missus, it'll never do what i want it to.

No matter what position your knob is in, there is very little response?

• Haha 1

She tells me I twiddle it too much.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Better you than someone else

Speak fer yerself mate.

1 hour ago, Sparky said:

She tells me I twiddle it too much.

I don't bother twiddling with my knob any more.....I know it won't work, my pipes have been disconnected. 

• Haha 1

Well lads, so glad I asked, clearly we need more opportunities to share views on managing relationships with the fairer sex.

Steve, like you I am flummoxed with my wife's incapacity to grasp the concept of any thermostat. I take it in stride, with a grin, much as I do with other politically fraught matters in these peculiar times.

As I've got the whole, bleedin' mess apart on the bench at the moment there's no question of access, rather just whether to make changes for the better. My prior Lotus was a '64 Elan, fully restored with upgrades though the heater remained as original. That worked quite nicely despite being rudimentary. Matters of cooling system capacity for my Esprit will be addressed directly, so with focus on the HVAC specifically I'm inclined to forego the T/stat override on the flow valve thinking it not ultimately helpful to have less direct control of the flow through the heater.

My thanks to everyone who posted views and insights on the HVAC system here over time. I'm taking a good look at any likely prospects to improve on known weak points but lack first hand experience as I purchased the old thing in a non-drivable state.

Cheers

So, in answer to the original poster’s question, the answer is “Not very well”.