free hit
counters
Track Driving intro....? - Trackdays - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Cads

Track Driving intro....?

Hello everyone -

I’m looking at introducing myself to a bit of track driving. I’ve never done it before but I’d just be looking to learn how to handle my Exige bit better, exploring a few limits and generally just having some fun with it. 

So far I’ve looked at some tuition slots on track days but I’m not sure if that's the right environment for a complete beginner (or is it?).

My other option was the basic Lotus License at Hethel.

Has anyone got any better suggestions or experience of this? 

Any thoughts greatly appreciated…

Thanks guys.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Neil, the Lotus Licence at Hethel is a good introduction to more advanced car control, or the alternative is to spend some time with instructor on circuit. I'd heartily recommend our very own @david_pittard, he's an excellent instructor and very well thought of by our members

http://www.davidpittard.co.uk/performance-coaching/

This topic from Alistair is worth a read too, some really good info in there :)

You’re already way ahead of most novices by understanding the value of some tuition. There are some novice only trackdays but generally you’ll find the Exige to be fast and capable without trying too hard. You may well be surprised with what you can keep up with. Take it easy especially early on, go at your own pace and ignore what everyone else is doing. Most trackdays have fairly well enforced overtaking rules, primarily for novices to make everything simpler and less intimidating.

I like to warm up the engine, tyres, brakes and my own brain and build up speed gradually. This is the key thing for me. You always get some characters going flat out from the pit lane but you’ll probably be right up with them by the end of the day. Driving on track a huge amount safer than driving fast on the road as there’s nothing coming the other way and far fewer hard things to hit. Your DPM system is Tour mode is pretty failsafe too, a great safety net for learning new tracks or if it’s wet.

Sonds like you’ve got the right attitude already so I’m sure you’ll be fine. My first trackday was at Donington Park in the early 90’s. I don’t even think we needed helmets on back then. I remember putting Fleetwood Mac’s ‘The Chain’ (the old F1 music) on the stereo very loud on my first lap. Really bad idea as you can imagine! It took me a while and plenty of humble pie to get the hang of it.

• Like 2

Thanks @Bibs

@Cads welcome to the newbies group :) please feel free to contribute as much as you want to on that thread. Mark and Colin are sharing their experiences and advice and for me it’s been so helpful. The more we have sharing thoughts, concerns, items they bought and reviews the better.

i got messed about by a driver and then work took over so missed all of last year. Their advice on David pittard has been brilliant and he is so simple to deal with that my first day with him is in a few weeks.

6 hours ago, The Pits said:

You’re already way ahead of most novices by understanding the value of some tuition. There are some novice only trackdays but generally you’ll find the Exige to be fast and capable without trying too hard. You may well be surprised with what you can keep up with. Take it easy especially early on, go at your own pace and ignore what everyone else is doing. Most trackdays have fairly well enforced overtaking rules, primarily for novices to make everything simpler and less intimidating.

I like to warm up the engine, tyres, brakes and my own brain and build up speed gradually. This is the key thing for me. You always get some characters going flat out from the pit lane but you’ll probably be right up with them by the end of the day. Driving on track a huge amount safer than driving fast on the road as there’s nothing coming the other way and far fewer hard things to hit. Your DPM system is Tour mode is pretty failsafe too, a great safety net for learning new tracks or if it’s wet.

Sonds like you’ve got the right attitude already so I’m sure you’ll be fine. My first trackday was at Donington Park in the early 90’s. I don’t even think we needed helmets on back then. I remember putting Fleetwood Mac’s ‘The Chain’ (the old F1 music) on the stereo very loud on my first lap. Really bad idea as you can imagine! It took me a while and plenty of humble pie to get the hang of it.

+ 1 absolutely agree.

This is great - thanks alot guys. Sounds like I'm on the right track then (no pun intended :lol:!).

I'll have a good read through that thread @Bibs.  At a glance it seems to have some good stuff in it and David looks like a credible option as well, thanks for your help...

@BatMobile - thanks for that, I'll definitely contribute to that as and when I can. You'll have to let me know how you get on with David!  

As a beginner my only advice will be : "stick to your line".

On 21/01/2018 at 10:46, Bibs said:

Neil, the Lotus Licence at Hethel is a good introduction to more advanced car control, or the alternative is to spend some time with instructor on circuit. I'd heartily recommend our very own @david_pittard, he's an excellent instructor and very well thought of by our members

http://www.davidpittard.co.uk/performance-coaching/

This topic from Alistair is worth a read too, some really good info in there :)

Thanks a lot @Bibs ?

more than happy to help & advise where I can @Cads with any questions you may have. Please drop me a private message! ???

• Like 1

Hi Neil

You will love track days once you start and I agree with the comments above and with your views of investing in coaching.  I would say it is the best money you will spend when starting out!  Working with someone like David who is really good at getting the best from you and giving really clear instruction will really set you off on the right foot.  I don't know where you are based but Silverstone is a good place to start with a coach, there is lots of run off.  The weather can be wet there but that is not too bad as it provides some good car handling training.  It would be worth reading the other thread linked above too.

You have a great car for track use, which helps.  I started in a BMW M4 and I've learned much more and enjoyed my Exige a lot more on track than I did the M4.  

They are very social days too, I've always met decent people to chat to and lots of nice cars to admire.

• Like 1

Here's David instructing me around Goodwood in the 3-Eleven. He's got a little headset which slips up into your lid so we're talking as we're driving. I was a lot quicker with him sat next to me, I've no doubt about that. 

• Like 1

I love that video @Bibs, looks like you had a great day there. 

@david_pittard thankyou that's great, I'll drop you a message.  

The thread is good as well @M4rk, some great stuff in that. You're going to get me hooked on this - I've already bookmarked the Demon Tweeks web page! :)

• Like 1