free hit
counters
Evora 400/410 why is nobody talking about the steering wheel? - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
jonnyboy

Evora 400/410 why is nobody talking about the steering wheel?

Well having pulled the trigger on the lovely Sport 410 thats down at Williams I nipped into JCT to have a sit in a 400 and 410 as we havent had one in previously only an S1. The first thing that struck me was that the steering wheel is slightly offset to the left? Having placed the order with Williams I have devoured every youtube review and not one reviewer has mentioned this. Its a minor point I guess but the last time I experienced this was in my old Vauxhall Nova 1.3 SR. Just seems an odd ergonomical quirk given the price of the thing and the clearly the huge amount of improvements they have implemented since the S1.   I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that this is something either I'm being really picky over or you get used to it? 

First impressions on the rest of the car are really good. The interior is done to a very near Porsche standard and the feel of everything is certainly where it needs to be for the price. I had been hovering over getting a Porsche GT car but the ongoing warranty & running costs Vs a new Lotus I have to say the Lotus is a competitive offering at this kind of price level.  Its just more interesting than anything else you can get new for this money. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I drove a 400 today, didn't notice the offset

Hi Jon,

I can't say much about the Evora having never even sat in one, but I can say that my S4 Esprit actually has the wheel at an angle to the way you sit in the car. Never bothered me. I see it as a trait.

Firstly massive congratulations. I think the 410s are stunning to drive and deeply capable on road and track. Genius move buying at this time.

I haven't really noticed the offset wheel if I'm being honest. It does adjust quite a bit, perhaps you can find a setting that's more to your liking.

Compared to an Exige the wheel seems pretty straight on the Evora. I can remember driving a LHD Exige and being shocked at how offset the wheel was. Jumping back in my rhd car was the first time I realised that they are a bit off centre but that just showed how it never really bothered me in nearly 10 years split between a rhd Elise and rhd Exige. So I'd say it's definitely something I got used to. Once you get past 5000rpm you'll be leaving such concerns in your wake I'm sure.

When do you collect it?

I'll have to see how it goes I guess. There may be a bit of adjustment to be had in the seats being smaller than the regular seats there's room to squidge it over a bit. 

Picking up after 1st March at some point bit of a wait but seemed daft not to wait for the 18 the date 

• Like 1

Congratulations Jon :thumbup:

When are you going to spill the beans on .org :)

2 hours ago, jonnyboy said:

. The first thing that struck me was that the steering wheel is slightly offset to the left?

Its the Lotus DNA.  I don't have pic but viewed from above through the screen on my old 88 Esprit it looks like the wheel is pointing at the centre of the car and felt like the pedals were pointing at the  kerb.  Character I think its called.:)

In fairness very few exotic car steering wheels were perfectly aligned in the Esprit's day. Wider than average front tyres meant pedals were very offset too which is what most commentators mentioned at the time. The sort of thing the NSX changed though I believe it was still a feature of the Murcielago. I've never sat in an Aventador but the Gallardo was pretty good if you like a high and close wheel type of driving position.

I thought everyone on .org already had an Evora? :D

32 minutes ago, PaulCP said:

Congratulations Jon :thumbup:

When are you going to spill the beans on .org :)

4 minutes ago, jonnyboy said:

I thought everyone on .org already had an Evora? :D

3 minutes ago, CocoPops said:

Almost.

:thumbsup: :lol: :lol:

CocoPops

PaulCP

Foxy

Packs

plus a couple more than have owned in past...

JG

Partridge

Kallista

He bought it from JG...then Foxy drove it at Zandvoort then declared he must have it. So Partridge sold it to Foxy.

17 hours ago, The Pits said:

In fairness very few exotic car steering wheels were perfectly aligned in the Esprit's day. Wider than average front tyres meant pedals were very offset too which is what most commentators mentioned at the time. The sort of thing the NSX changed though I believe it was still a feature of the Murcielago. I've never sat in an Aventador but the Gallardo was pretty good if you like a high and close wheel type of driving position.

Murcielago had one of the worst offset's I've ever driven!

Hopefully I won't notice in the Exige, I didn't notice when I test drove a Sport 350 & 380

I've never noticed it in any of the S2 chassis cars. Sometimes the cowl can play a trick on the eye to make the wheel look uncentred but not offset. 

I think you've started a whole new kind of neurosis here, top marks! :thumbup:

Never bothered me much. To be honest I usually saw things like offset pedals etc... as a sign of a "supercar", most of the iconic cars from my youth tended to have quite a few "quirks"

Is everyone going and checking their cars now? 

Part of this is your fault JayEmm I enjoyed your Youtube vids on the 400 and it contributed towards my decision to buy. I hope you continue to do well on there. 

Never noticed any difference between my NA Evora and Evora 400 and I am pretty nerdy with these things.

There probably isn't any difference,  sitting in my 2011 NA on Monday I'd say the steering wheel is a good inch or so to the left of the seat centre. I have to tilt my head left to make the steering wheel line up with the cowling. I'd always thought something felt odd when driving. You'd think that would be one of the basics when you start designing the interior,  are the seats in line with the steering wheel...

I'm glad I'm not going mad. In the 400 it felt 10mm rather than an inch off but it was immediately noticeable to me. 

I seem to recall that one of the big "improvements" with the 400 was the increased space in the footwell, and the pedals were moved slightly to the right (on RHD cars) to be more in line with the car. This would presumably have the effect of making the wheel feel slightly more offset to the left. I doubt the wheel itself has been moved significantly.

12 hours ago, jonnyboy said:

I'm glad I'm not going mad. In the 400 it felt 10mm rather than an inch off but it was immediately noticeable to me. 

I recall a pedal offset was the first thing I noticed when I sat in a S1 Evora,  though I don't think the 400 platform has it to the same degree. I guess some people are more sensitive to these things. 

Congrats though, I thoroughly enjoyed my few hours in a 410 at the end of last year.

• Like 1