free hit
counters
Gumtree find - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Chillidoggy

Gumtree find

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Buying it Ian? Looks like it works at least!

I've seen that car about since 2004, it's always been a touch 'Marmite'! That's a very optimistic price for an NA with a V8 sticker on it! 

CIMG0006.JPG

CIMG0173.JPG

Points if anyone can remember or knows what's special about the silver V8 in the left of the first pic? 

That looks very similar to one I saw at Lotus ribble valley in 2002, there cant be two of them! Can you tell it left a lasting impression.

Gav

Yarp, think it's the ex-factory V8, one of the last ones that they hung onto until a couple of years ago when Final Edition on here bought it? Now in Germany I believe.

• Like 1

Yup, and the only V8 with a factory cross plane crank. Sounded lovely :D

• Like 1

I’ve only just read the text, and seen the price.

5 hours ago, Bibs said:

Yup, and the only V8 with a factory cross plane crank. Sounded lovely :D

Do you know why Lotus opted to fit a cross plane crank? That would involve some serious modifications: camshafts, injection, ignition, ... Must have been for a good reason?

Whats a cross plane crank?

Do I get a bonus point for saying Mr Esprit drove it there and that there is a very handsome man wearing a blue fleece looking at the back of the yellow one?

6 minutes ago, PhilW said:

Whats a cross plane crank?

It’s what’s used in the majority of V8’s, as opposed to the flat plane, and what makes that awesome V8 noise.

So - any performance gains flat vs cross??

Flat plane gives better balance, more rev potential which is why it is employed in racing engines. Lotus heritage, doncha know...

Cross plane does sound awesome though, but then a Torque Techniques system on a flat plane V8 Esprit ain't far off!

To answer Phil, in a flat plane all of the crank pins are either in line or 180 degrees out so it is more like two four cylinder engines. Cross planes have 90 degree spacing hence the uneven exhaust note and burble.

• Thanks 1

I do like the wheels it has on it. There you go - something positive to say....... please don’t ask for anything else though 

• Haha 1

Each to their own, but having seen this car at SWLC open day, it was one of the few Loti on display that I didn't photograph, need I say more.

Was going to say take off the air intakes and it would look a lot better. Then read the article and saw the price. AND IT NEEDS A RESPRAY.

"a respray wich would put the value of the car up over 50k" 

i...uh......oh never mind.