free hit
counters
Reverse inhibitor - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Sorry for the repost, but the last post on this issue was about 10 years ago and the photos are gone.

Rebuilding my gearchange mechanism at the front (1988 Esprit Turbo) and my reverse inhibitor bush looks like this.. is this right?

I've ordered a new one from SJ Sportscars, but just thought I'd check as the picture on SJ's site shows it as completely round, whereas a post I read refers to it rotating, as if it's meant to be this shape. Looks pretty worn to me though!

Any ideas?

Photo 21-01-2018, 5 49 50 pm.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The inhibitor is a teflon cylinder, perfectly round when new. Yours is very worn! It seems the wear is from rubbing the reverse block, when selecting reverse. Maybe you should try to lower it, I seem to recall the bolts allow some adjustment.

Filip

Thanks. The new one that’s coming is nylon. I’d rather ptfe but I don’t know if I can get one made in time. I’ll see how complicated it is when it comes.

i should be able to adjust it I think as the mechanism is totally stripped at the moment.

cheers for getting back to me. 

not as far as I could tell, it's not a shoulder bolt, so tightening the bolts locks the plastic "roller".

By the way I did this fix many years ago ~2002, never had a problem since.

Cheers for that.

I’ve ordered a small piece of Vesconite which I’m going to use for the bush. Never heard of it before today, but it sounds perfect!

Did the same as Travis, so I mad a Little Delrin perfect round roller, and also did two very slightly longer and thicker pins to prevent the greastick from rotating. On my car, the delrin roller is secured witha countersung stainless hex bolt (I did), and a tiny bit of blue thread Lock.

So, it should be round.

Kind regards,

jacques

Thanks Jacques. I’ve got a piece of Vesconite now that I’m going to ask my pal to make a new Bush with. It’s stronger and harder wearing than ptfe or delrin and is used on bushes, so should be perfect for the job. Only took a few days to arrive from South Africa where it’s made.

I’m going to collect my gearbox in about 2 1/2 weeks time so I can finally look at getting back on the road again!

• Like 1

Good on you!!! ;)

Looking forward to seeing the finished article. And take a look at the two toll oins, while you are at it.

Here's mine begore and after. And while i was at it, I had this carbonfiber aluminium filled inner gearstick made as well.

Kind regards,

jacques

car21.JPG

car26.JPG

carbon gearstick.JPG

What a great choice! ;) I mentioned those two small pins because by being slightly thicker, it's possible to take out a Little bit of slack.

Kind regards,

jacques

I've a feeling they were changed slightly a while back.

My titanium inner shaft is ever so slightly worn at the top.. normal wear I think, but I'd keep an eye on your Carbon one.

I bought a GM type gearstick in one of the Lotus sales years ago and fitted that instead of the original gearstick in my  '87 X180 Turbo (which I used to own). Had to open up the hole in the block to accomodate it, but it gave a much more positive feel to the gearchange - and the reverse inhibitor was moulded into the reverse lift collar. You might find some still available.

Mine seems to be working fine now since I fitted the vesconite inhibitor. Probably not worth changing to a different lever, especially with my nice titanium shaft. :)

What he said ;)

But you could also look at the bushes underneath and make sure they are fresh and not worn.

Kind regards,

jacques