free hit
counters
Buying a Cup 430 - Thought Process - Page 2 - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
RRSSS

Buying a Cup 430 - Thought Process

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I chose and ordered a Cup 430 in the end because it was the most pure, hardcore and driver focused car (along with always loving Lotus and the Exige in particular!).

Obviously there are several 'alternatives' out there in the price bracket (991 GT3 namely) but as said above they are quite a different propositions! I also found that when you actually look at those alternatives and try to find one in a good spec etc it is more often than not tens of thousands more than the Cup 430 (not a major concern at this price point but something to consider, especially when the Cup 430 is brand new, with a warranty and you can spec it how you want etc.) 

In fact I was so determined to have an Exige I originally ordered a Sport 380 (missed the boat on the Cup 380) hoping that they wouldn't bring out a chargecooled one after! Luckily I ordered it late enough that the Cup 430 came out not long after so I switched my order.

Hope my thoughts help those wondering what to do.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Pits said:

My Exige still had original front brake pads after 4 years and many track days! A Nissan GTR needs new pads after 12 laps of the Nurburgring!

oh wow

1 hour ago, Gashead1105 said:

I didn't realise when I posted yesterday that you had an LF1 already. Can you afford to keep the LF1? If so, personally I'd keep it and be straight off to my local Ferrari dealer to source a 599. Not interested in a lambo though.

IF I keep the LF1 then I definitely won't be getting a Cup 430! At that point it will just become a 1.1 tonne paperweight while I sit back and wait 40 years for it to finally begin to appreciate :lol:

1 hour ago, BatMobile said:

I think if you are getting rid of the LF1 you need the cup 430 - reading through you argue against the options and keep coming back to the 430 so i think deep down you know this is the right answer for you. 

With the 430 you will get full warranty, the option to do many track days if you choose without breaking the bank and an overall package that seems to be raved about by all that drive it. 

If you can keep the LF1 then there are many choices depending on your taste from morgan aero, vanquish, 12c, LP550 etc for me it would be a V12 vanquish :)

Either way good luck with your search and enjoy the test drives! 

Yes, you are right, the Cup 430 will definitely be a great replacement to the LF1. And, as you say, it will come with a full warranty, new car smell, new car collection etc!

1 hour ago, Alex1710 said:

I chose and ordered a Cup 430 in the end because it was the most pure, hardcore and driver focused car (along with always loving Lotus and the Exige in particular!).

Obviously there are several 'alternatives' out there in the price bracket (991 GT3 namely) but as said above they are quite a different propositions! I also found that when you actually look at those alternatives and try to find one in a good spec etc it is more often than not tens of thousands more than the Cup 430 (not a major concern at this price point but something to consider, especially when the Cup 430 is brand new, with a warranty and you can spec it how you want etc.) 

In fact I was so determined to have an Exige I originally ordered a Sport 380 (missed the boat on the Cup 380) hoping that they wouldn't bring out a chargecooled one after! Luckily I ordered it late enough that the Cup 430 came out not long after so I switched my order.

Hope my thoughts help those wondering what to do.

Congrats on the order! I presume you haven't disclosed specs of yours yet but when you choose to do so, it would be great to see what colours/options you went for.

I think you've made a good point with regards to buying a car brand new, choosing your own spec etc. This definitely forms part of the whole occasion of getting it.

My Exige still had original front brake pads after 4 years and many track days. A Nissan GTR needs new pads after 12 laps of the Nurburgring!

Took mine in to B&C for its MOT a couple of weeks ago and apparently my original brake pads are still at around 80%! Not sure what I've been doing for the last 3 years with this thing :lol:

My Exige still had original front brake pads after 4 years and many track days. A Nissan GTR needs new pads after 12 laps of the Nurburgring!

You're not braking hard enough on track if that's the case!!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, RRSSS said:

Congrats on the order! I presume you haven't disclosed specs of yours yet but when you choose to do so, it would be great to see what colours/options you went for.

I think you've made a good point with regards to buying a car brand new, choosing your own spec etc. This definitely forms part of the whole occasion of getting it.

Took mine in to B&C for its MOT a couple of weeks ago and apparently my original brake pads are still at around 80%! Not sure what I've been doing for the last 3 years with this thing :lol:

I haven't disclosed the specs but I will be picking the car up in the not too distant future so will disclose specs and post all the pictures then!

• Like 1

I need to see some pictures other than what's already there.

I believe my car goes into production February 15th. So I can still change if I see something I like.

I chose Essex Blue with silver wheels/wing uprights and mirrors (though will paint mirrors black).

This Evora GT430 is what sold me. Hoping it would look good (don't know who it belongs to, found it on Google images)

C62E588F-13BC-411A-A86E-193D22C98D71.thumb.jpeg.78e42b4a82e93cce08a453cd4fc8f8ae.jpeg

D1674978-E037-429D-B915-0F8962F81C69.thumb.jpeg.9f0814ee2d1b3170ecdcd18fcc938afd.jpeg

• Like 1

Loving my car so of course I think you can’t go wrong with that spec!

Edited by Mark Allin
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NANO said:

@RRSSS: I'm a bit in advance :rolleyes:... but for what color would you have decided ?

Good question! I like the Motorsport Black that's on my LF1 so might consider doing the same.. probably some kind of similar theme (black & gold). However the existing "matt" gold finish on my alloys are a pain to keep clean, so might look at other options there.

Having had a conversation with Lotus previously, I think your colour options are fairly relaxed as long as it's not pearlescent-type finishes (which would be too much of a pain for them to do).

I believe Renault Liquid Yellow is now possible again for those prepared to pay what it costs (a lot). It’s not cheap but it’s very nice, really works well on the Exige.

Random 430 Cup fact of the day... the vertical wiper placement is only on the press cars for "marketing"! Production cars will have the usual placement to one side...

And I'm sure this was mentioned somewhere else  (regarding the the 380), the vents on top of the front arches are covered and therefore only aesthetic. Can the covers be removed? And if so, would your windscreen end up peppered in stone chips? 

No, the vents are OPEN on all the Lotus cars that have them.

This all came from one bloke looking at a Cup 380 in a showroom but he wasn’t looking carefully enough and assumed they were closed up. This is the problem with internet rumours, people only pay attention when the information is negative.

The vents might look closed to some but they are designed to stop the windscreen getting peppered. It’s not a direct path, easy for air to pass through less so for stones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, The Pits said:

No, the vents are OPEN on all the Lotus cars that have them.

This all came from one bloke looking at a Cup 380 in a showroom but he wasn’t looking carefully enough and assumed they were closed up. This is the problem with internet rumours, people only pay attention when the information is negative.

The vents might look closed to some but they are designed to stop the windscreen getting peppered. It’s not a direct path, easy for air to pass through less so for stones.

Fair enough, thanks for clarifying! From what I could see, there's a black covering with a very small hole right at the edge. In fact, there was standing water in the vents, so presumably it's not completely see through.

Perhaps worth considering, a £100K Lotus (be it Exige or Evora) has fairly ordinary running costs.

My Evora has cost considerably less than my E46 M3 did to run, that's before it broke.

Most other rivals, especially used ones, McLaren, Ferrari, Lambo, Aston will cost a considerable amount more - in fuel, servicing and parts if needed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RRSSS said:

Random 430 Cup fact of the day... the vertical wiper placement is only on the press cars for "marketing"! Production cars will have the usual placement to one side...

And I'm sure this was mentioned somewhere else  (regarding the the 380), the vents on top of the front arches are covered and therefore only aesthetic. Can the covers be removed? And if so, would your windscreen end up peppered in stone chips? 

The vents on the front arches of my 380 cup are open

Hopefully that will put it to bed once and for all. Unlikely though, chances are we'll have someone else on here in a few weeks time having a go at Lotus for the fake vents. Happens once a fortnight at the moment!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mark248am said:

Took this photo earlier today. Depending from the angle u look at it, you’ll either see a plastic cover or you’ll see completely through it

8DB3AACE-156B-4DAB-A52F-651E88F0776F.jpeg

Perfect, thanks for that!

• Like 1

On 1/24/2018 at 15:53, Mark030358 said:

Believe me, I have thought long and hard about this, but I’m probably coming from a slightly different place. This may or may not help... For me I have done/am still doing the pondering, but the following questions went/are-going through my head, I asked myself the following...

Am I a crap driver? Yes ( So learn to drive first)

Would I polish it more than drive it? Yes ( Yes, I’m only in the UK for 90days/year)

Does my current car look the dogs? Yes (Fully loaded 380,  arbor, suspension etc)

Can I spend £6K and for the extra torque/HP?.. Yes (SSC)

Would the car be a keeper?.. Yes (then forget the soon to be released 450 Cup, maybe!)

Could I buy a Caterham/RS3 for the difference?.. Yes (Catherham, cheap racing in a cheapest car)

Am I chasing the latest and greatest?.. Yes (Much always wants more)

So when I look at my answers, for me they imply “I must be stupid to covet such a machine”..

BUT... Do I still want one?

Oh YES ???

Just like you ! Except I did buy a catheram after a deception of not getting the SSC kit, my sadness disappeared right when I turned it on .. And yes I still dream about the 430, just looks awesome, would love to have one and not drive it anyway :D