free hit
counters
Buying a Cup 430 - Thought Process - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
RRSSS

Buying a Cup 430 - Thought Process

Hi guys, been a while.. thought I might get everyones opinion on buying a Cup 430 (as a couple on here already have, as well as I'm sure others who are considering).

First of all, the cost. So you're probably looking at around £105,000 to £110,000 once some options are added on. For this amount, what would you consider as alternatives if you were looking to buy? I know this will not be easy to answer, but for me, the considerations are as follows:

1) I'm not looking for a pure track car, so have ruled out 3-Elevens etc.

2) Will not be a daily and not really bothered about mileage, but am fine with sitting in my LF1 for long periods at a time.

3) Options from other brands at this price point (albeit older models) e.g. Ferrari 599, Lamborghini LP560 etc.

4) Obviously with the considerations of the other options as mentioned above, I'm looking at a 2-seater. Not interested here in saloons, estates, SUVs etc.

5) I'm not looking at Evoras or Exige 380 (or 380 Cup). If it's a Lotus, it would have to be the Cup 430.

6) Ownership costs: Buying an older car (options above are 5-10 years old) may of course mean more ownership costs associated. Additional costs for buying warranty packages, servicing costs and general maintenance. Getting a new Cup 430 will hopefully have minimal operating costs (2 year warranty?, minimal servicing costs comparatively etc).

So what are your thoughts? Would like to hear opinions in case I missed out anything, or if any soon to be (or new) Cup 430 owners have any similar thoughts.

Thanks!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Big fan of McLaren from my Bahrain days, but not a fan of the 12C, and in the Sport Series I would consider a 570S, not 540C. However, these are £120-£130k and above. Ideally I would like to stick to the £105-£110k bracket!

What about the obvious one a 991 GT3?!? :sofa: seriously: a Ferrari 458 would be high on my list but the more track use you will have the bigger the running cost difference of the Ferrari... for me this is one of the best cars ever built but I would not buy it as a 50% track car. My favorite would of course be the Speciale but no chance to get anywhere near to your price point with a Speciale... 

Always have the GT3 on my mind as well.. but for this price you're looking at an early 991.1, to which I'm not interested in sadly. Would you buy a used 991.1 GT3 over a new Cup 430? I think that's a good question! The bhp/tonne throws it in the Lotus' favour though!

Agree, the McLaren always gets mentioned but they were a fair chunk more when I was considering the alternatives to the Evora GT430.

From a purely financial point of view (which would also be huge fun to drive) I would have said a manual V12 Vantage S. Long term value of the last manual V12 car made by anyone could be strong. Just had a look in the classifieds though and they've all shot up already! I was hoping the new Vantage would have driven prices down. Cheapest manual I could find see is £129k already, some are asking nearly £160k. Manual Gallardo would be something else to look at. There's lots to enjoy there but steering is a bit lifeless and they aren't really up to hard track use. Lovely engines of course but I'd enjoy driving an Exige more.

Most obvious alternative with some track ability (in addition to the above) is the Cayman GT4. North of £100k when considering a Lotus you really should look at the Evora GT430, which is a limited production car with more downforce, adjustable Ohlins, LSD, plus nicer road car while giving very little away on track. I'm a huge fan of the Exige and waited for a chargecooled one for some time but I went for the Evora in the end. So far, no regrets.

Thanks! All good points..

I'm not really looking at depreciation. the problem there is I'll end up getting something but not using it.

Not a fan of the GT4, honestly I would rather get a 991.1 GT3!

I like the GT430, but I think I'm more of an Exige than an Evora person (the Exige to me looks more of an "event" on the road). Saying that the more I look at the GT430 the more I'm getting a soft spot for it.

Is a Cup 430 really at the same price point as a used 599? Dear lord. I'd take the Ferrari (please, even if it's only for a short time) and buy a cheaper V6/Sport 350 for 40-55k (am assuming that if one can afford to buy and run a 599 even with a warranty, one is not short of a few quid).

In Kuwait you can get 599s and Galardos for cheaper than a 380 sport. Affordable to buy but just crazy expensive to maintain (from what I’ve been told)

• Like 1

430 Cup will be rare. 

Don’t think about buying Cup430, just do it, CL get their signature orange fairly soon!

If the 430 got an automatic

2 hours ago, RRSSS said:

So what are your thoughts? Would like to hear opinions in case I missed out anything, or if any soon to be (or new) Cup 430 owners have any similar thoughts.

Thanks!

for the same price ? for the same running cost with trackdays ? I think there is not a better choice :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RRSSS said:

Always have the GT3 on my mind as well.. but for this price you're looking at an early 991.1, to which I'm not interested in sadly. Would you buy a used 991.1 GT3 over a new Cup 430? I think that's a good question! The bhp/tonne throws it in the Lotus' favour though!

The GT3 is a great car no question ... when I bought my Lotus a couple years ago for me it also was between a 991 GT3 and the Exige V6 with potential modification later one. I test drove both and the decision was clear.

A standard V6 CR was at least as much fun to drive as the GT3  but pretty much half the price and much lower maintenance cost later on (considering that I wanted to do a lot of track) ... never had any regrets ... in fact the Exige is much more exotic at any regular track day you go to ... everyone has a GT3 ... the few that know drive a Lotus ?

Meanwhile 30k EUR later I have an EX460 with all the bells and whistles ... still relatively low maintenance costs but in capable hands on par to a 991 GT3 ... 

Dont get me wrong, I have a Porsche as well amongst the cars I drive (thats why I can tell you about maintenance costs) and I really like the GT3 (in particular the RS) but in your shoes I would go for the Exige again (the Cup 430 is the one that I probably would have bought if it would already have been out) in a heartbeat. Believe my it will be the best decision in your life ...

Btw: a 599 is boring to drive compared to my EX460 imho if you are looking for „racecar“ feeling ...

• Like 1
  • Love 1

For the price I paid back in 2015 nothing else compared, but the 430 cup is pretty much double what i paid for my V6S so the 430 starts to compete within a different sector.

Your choices some what depend on how you plan on purchasing it. If its on PCP then a brand new mclaren or Huracan will cost the same if not less due to higher residual on those cars and good deals can be had on both of them at the minute.

If its a cash purchase and £110k is your budget then you are looking at 991.1GT3 or slightly used new style R8+, as rivals really.

In my opinion only the GT3 will come close in terms of track excitement, all of them will be better road cars but equally they will also all have higher running costs than the exige.

Only you can make the decision as we all value different aspects of driving dynamics and car ownership differently.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, RRSSS said:

Good point! But then I see this:

2rmukhz.png

in love

• Like 2

digital display will come with the Exige 500 cup :)

1 hour ago, geartox said:

digital display will come with the Exige 500 cup :)

Yes but when ? in how long ?

@RRSSS: go Lotus with your eyes closed ... 430 CUP and you'll get the most out of what you might want ... :thumbup:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Crouchy said:

For the price I paid back in 2015 nothing else compared, but the 430 cup is pretty much double what i paid for my V6S so the 430 starts to compete within a different sector.

Your choices some what depend on how you plan on purchasing it. If its on PCP then a brand new mclaren or Huracan will cost the same if not less due to higher residual on those cars and good deals can be had on both of them at the minute.

If its a cash purchase and £110k is your budget then you are looking at 991.1GT3 or slightly used new style R8+, as rivals really.

In my opinion only the GT3 will come close in terms of track excitement, all of them will be better road cars but equally they will also all have higher running costs than the exige.

Only you can make the decision as we all value different aspects of driving dynamics and car ownership differently.

Agreed, back when they were £55-£65k new, it was perhaps a different scenario. With the £110k price now, I would be silly not to look at the alternatives, but it feels like it's bringing me back to the Cup430! As mentioned earlier, from what I can see, the only alternatives are 2nd hand options from Maranello or Stuttgart (and possibly Woking!). I like the 2nd Gen R8 (looks-wise), but it's realistically not a car for me.

2 hours ago, BAS said:

I used to own a 997 GT3RS and it doesn't come any raw than that. I must be of the very few ppl who can say i didn't really like it that much. Yes it was very raw and you can feel every input and road imperfection, but for some reason i didn't like tracking it. On the road it was great. A fine machine like no other. The GT3 is the benchmark a lot would argue.

I only briefly drove @mark248am 380cup and i can tell you that no GT3 will give the same raw experience. You are already coming from an LF1 so you already know that. I considered getting a 991 GT3 RS at one point but since i track often maintaining it would be expensive. 

I think the only car i considered getting was maybe a used 540 or 570 mclaren. Then again same issue as GT3 with maintenance costs. In the end, i ordered a 430 cup and it arrives in end of april. 

Since you already own an LF1 i would maybe get a mclaren for a change. Seeing that you considered a 430 cup i assume you really like the exige and just fancy a little change?

Congrats on the imminent arrival of your Cup 430!

Yes I'm a fan of the Exige, the "raw" experience as you put it is definitely something I would like to keep. I would say that the 570S is a considered alternative. But then you come back to the point of additional costs and so on. I guess the easy option is to just go with the Cup 430.

It's interesting to read that most people on here are not expanding on my earlier options of a 599 or LP560. I must admit, I have not been doing as many track days as I used to do 10 years ago and I'm pretty sure the 'replacement' will not be seeing too many tracks as well. For me, this car will primarily be about fast road driving / trips. But then again, I commend anyone on here who regularly tracks their cars, I just don't have the discipline to do it anymore!

I didn't realise when I posted yesterday that you had an LF1 already. Can you afford to keep the LF1? If so, personally I'd keep it and be straight off to my local Ferrari dealer to source a 599. Not interested in a lambo though.

• Like 2

I think if you are getting rid of the LF1 you need the cup 430 - reading through you argue against the options and keep coming back to the 430 so i think deep down you know this is the right answer for you. 

With the 430 you will get full warranty, the option to do many track days if you choose without breaking the bank and an overall package that seems to be raved about by all that drive it. 

If you can keep the LF1 then there are many choices depending on your taste from morgan aero, vanquish, 12c, LP550 etc for me it would be a V12 vanquish :)

Either way good luck with your search and enjoy the test drives! 

• Like 1