free hit
counters
behind plastic - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

dash mask ,mines cracked ,but the instruments are just fitted to the black plastic (thin) mask, my service notes show another piece hopefully stronger behind the black mask, has anyone any pics please and has anyone used sj dashmask ?? i have a 3d printed one(white) seems very thin any help please rgds steve  

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

well my instruments are just mounted on that flimsy plastic "mask" there is nothing  behind so i should have a piece as per service notes , that explains why "mask" broke ??  thxs anyone got any pics pls     yes that the piece that my instruments are mounted on only

it is just a piece of plate with holes for the dials cut in it. 1.5mm thick aluminium would be fine and put the plastic mast on top to mark out the holes the dials go in. It the secures top and bottom to the metal tangs on the binnacle. 

i expect thats the route i will have to go cant seem to see one on sj,s site ill paint the mask i had made in satin black ,bit scared touching all those old wires !!

in the cold !! thx for help rgds steve

thx all managed to get all out with a slightly warmer day. behind the rev counter and speedo was just a small plastic plate ??? just reinforcing around those two instruments ,is this normal seems its supposed to go behind the mask and same dimensions???? if anyone has had thiers apart and took some pics could you pls send them to me  thanks again for all your help  

Steve, as Tim said above, the instruments are mounted on a 1.5mm metal sheet that sits behind the thin face mask (part 1). Remove all bits at the front and then you normally need to disconnect the binnacle to be able to get to the back of instruments (4 screws hold the binnacle down to the base). The mask only is way too flimsy to hold any instruments. Never mind the cables, just mark them as you pull them off. Chances are you’ll also need to disconnect the speedo to get some space once the binnacle is free to swivel. Below is the layout from a turbo, the s3 will be similar in concept. Anything that involves the dash is tough to get to. Steering wheel off, seat out. Lotus position to get the binnacle loose. Ratcheting thin spanner helps a lot to get to the base screws. Once done you’ll have reasonably good access from atop/side.

57ACD1ED-7CF4-431C-AF0B-04BA8602EC36.png

That said, the S3 might be different in concept. I’m sure there are many S3 owners in this forum who can give the inside track on that one.

Steve,   S3 is indeed just the crappy plastic panel on its own, so you are not missing anything   lol.   The turbo boys got a different dash binnacle layout and different fixings also  :)

• Like 1

S2 is the same with just the extra bit of plastic to go over the speedo and rev counter.

Pete

thanks that's all i found ,just a plastic piece around the speedo and rev counter ,my service notes show the picture above ,so i thought the po may have lost it ?? anyway thanks guys ,wonder if i should make something similar to the pic?? cant see that plastic really holding all that weight??also thinking a multi pin plug while im in there would make it easier to reinstall ??? 

Well, that kind of makes sense but it’ll be quite a bit of work. You still have other connections back in there like the speedo and the oil pressure line etc. Mind you it all depends how often you want to get back in there once you’ve sorted it ?. Good that you got your answers. 

thanks guys all makes sense now and as stated i only have the small plastic piece around the speedo and rev counter, but it was all bent, another question !!! the binnacle was just hooked under the front mounts for the binnacle and two bolt holding it down at the rear is this as par ??? 

also please i have the shapeways 3d printed mask, its very thin least mine is ,has anyone used the sj,s vacuum one i hope its thicker ???