free hit
counters
PNM V8 AVO SHOCKS - Page 2 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi Steve,   

It has been an ongoing discussion on the forums for many years regarding the protechs,   I have used them on the S3 v8 but also using custom springs,  I found them to be well built,  light and very good value for money.   However i can confirm that the settings on the adjustment made no difference.....  but that is personal veiw.   

Regarding the rose joints,  I have always seen these as a more of a track car thing,  As the suspension will be much stiffer and the shock transmitted through the suspension along its components i do not see as a good thing for a standard road car,  

Avos,   Are not cheap,  i own a set but have never fitted them on one of the cars yet,  They are heavy as the shock is made steel rather than the protech which is alloy,  Also and i know i am been a bit anal,  but when restoring cars folks want everyhing to look nice and last,  My avo shocks already have rust patches on them and they have been dry stored in a warm house !   

Sadly after purchasing them, and they are not cheap compaired to the protechs or any other shock on the market for that matter,  It was after the purchase i stumbled on the bad press that avo has on the web with regards to very poor customer service,  Lack of spares to repair avo ajustable shocks when the time comes,  which is what they use as one of their selling points for the adjustable shockes  i.e you can send them back to be refurbished,  But they do not stock the spares to repair them !  So they sell you a new set !   

Added to that mine have rusted without been fitted,  says to me a very poor quality control system is in place from start of production to finished item,  Top that with terrible customer support and no spares to repair equals steer clear.......  

This is just my personal take on it all, so take it with a pinch of salt :)

• Like 2

A

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Pete at PNM told me in 2017, that going rose joints are for track driving. It becomes so hard and stiff, that it may hurt the chassis. Therefore maximum only rose joints on one end of each arm (so the other end have a bushing). Driving will a full out kitted track car on ordinary public road surfaces, may be so hard and bouncing about, that one quickly looses interest in driving. So, over the top.

It seems to me that if one makes all the joints stiff - no bushings, bigger Wheels, stiff suspension etc, something has to give, and the next thing is the chassis itself, that will be put under more stress, and twist.

ps. I've seen the same thing happening to avo's just on vag cars.

Kind regards,

jacques

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Lotus kinda have a reputation for getting these things just right.

most of the aftermarket stuff is checked for size to make sure it actually fits and thrown out for sale.

I know which route I’d go down

Only here once

That may be the case for some brands. But looking into the Öhlins, Nitron and JRZ, I certainly don't think that is the case. And to me at least, Lotus suspension is a master in roadholding and soft comfort. I dislike soft comfort completely. Think for example of the later seats, called comfort seats. Wide, less support, soft as a pillow. Nooooooooo. No way. Never. Ever.

Cheers,

jacques

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

I've taken a look at the Ohlins site, they have always been the brand leader in my mind, but there are not any specific listings for the Esprit,  I imagine they would be well out of my price bracket, especially custom made for Esprit.

17 hours ago, silverfrost said:

I have used them on the S3 v8 but also using custom springs, 

Dan, you mention custom springs, I had thought of using the Protech bodies with Bilstein springs if that were possibe, I've had coilovers on a few cars and always found them too stiff for road, especially our shite roads in this part of the world. My Mrs already has an Esprit cushion installed on her side, it's her personal shock absorber but doubles as a blindfold for my uncontrollable leadfoot and laugh moments.

As you can see, thanks to everyone's comments AVO's are no longer in the equation, Protech now tick all the boxes, just need some spring options. 

8 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Lotus kinda have a reputation for getting these things just right.

I have no doubt that money no object Lotac would be top of the list, as the perfect all round package for Esprit, (looks apart), but I just can't justify that outlay.