free hit
counters
Is this the Lotus Motorsport exhaust? - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Is this the Lotus Motorsport exhaust?

I got a surprise when I made some work in the engine bay last weekend. It has been obvious since I bought the car in 2015 that my Evora S have sounded quite different from most other ones, but from the outside it looked like the standard exhaust. To me it looks very much like the ”LIGHTWEIGHT LEVEL 1 SPORTS EXHAUST STAINLESS STEEL / LOTAC05504” from Lotus Motorsport/Racing. Can anyone possible confirm that conclusion?

If so, I would really appreciate any information on whether it is built with sound dampening muffler packing and if there is a least painful way to re-pack it?

IMG_3827.jpeg

IMG_3826 (1).jpeg

Edited by #84
spelling...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I’m 99% sure that the LMS exhaust has got twin pipes. 

Maybe @JAWS can confirm. 

I also assumed so, but couldn't come up with any better guesses and also saw what I believe is the same item, for the Exige V6, with that tail pipe in the Lotus Racing brochure from 2013. However, the pictures are small and it is difficult to see details.

LMS_ExigeV6_exhaust.tiff

That is vaguely what I remember my old one looking like.  I don't recall it being twin pipes and the biggest change from std was the shorter can as shown here.  Lightweight was a lie, it was lighter than std but still much heavier than alternatives at the time such as Larini.

@#84 Does it have Janspeed branding and/or a part number on the body of the silencer? Plus the motorsport version  states "track use only". It does look very similar to the Lotus Motorsport one, but with different tailpipes.

Possibly someone did a cut and shut with the original Silencer your Evora came with. Which is totally possible, I did similar and swapped my original tailpipes as I'm not a fan of the purplish blue tips. However, that was quite a simple job as the twin pipes are just rivetted on, this would be a welding job.

@JAWS I have inspected it throughly but not found any marking anywhere, which I find a bit strange. I will however clean it and see if anything appears.

If it is Janspeed built, would that point in the direction that it relies on damping material to work properly?

The droning effect in the 2700-3500 rpm speed range has become quite annoying for that weekly commuting trip to the office :(

As said previously, the Lotus one is twin tipped. If its droning then I would say it isnt as mine is fine and I hate ones that drone.

Gav

I think mine was ok as well, but after a piston failure in 2015, when one pre-cat and the main cat was burnt out, I assume the silencer got more than it could take. Since the workshop and insurance company took a year to fix the car, I must say I lack reference for how the exhaust should sound. But I cannot recall it was an issue with droning before the piston failure, that is why I try to find out if I should attack the silencer with an angle grinder, or not.

not sure if this helps

have one on mine

my oiriginal lotus purchase  invoice states lightweight  lotus motorsport exhaust and the cost.

its twin pipe stamped with  janspeed.   and TRACK USE ONLY

sounds bloomin lovely, zero drone at any speed..

Thanks Andy for that information. I guess it will remain a mystery who the supplier is since it has nothing stamped to it anywhere. Anyhow, I managed to find the answer to one of the critical questions this morning, both the hard way and the easy way.

The hard way by examine the interior with endoscope. As the picture shows, parts of the muffler is empty, parts of it is filled with white damping mat.

The easy way. Once finished with the examination, I moved the system from the working bench and tilted it 90 degrees. Like a soft maracas a "swoshing" sound clearly disclosed that something moved from one side to the other. By tilting it back and forth it appears to be almost half full. Why didn't I do that from the beginning?

Once cut up and fixed I will post some pictures for reference if anyone else needs to do the same operation.

Muffler_empty.jpg

Muffler_full.jpg

A new engine is about to arrive and we decided to just fix the silencer and spend the money on more urgent stuff. So, today it was cut open. It looks like the stainless steel wool and dampening mat doesn't like each other since they are concentrated in opposite corners (!?).

The plan is: The section that is cut off will be equipped with a flange, covering 15 mm of the silencer shell all way around the slit, so that it can be riveted in place.

Question: What is the best way to fix the steel wool around/along the perforated pipe? Twinned thick stainless steel wire, or stainless steel cable ties, such ones you use to fix exhaust wrap? Or?

LotusMotorsportSilencerCutOpen.jpg

Is that Bib's wig inside there?! 

• Haha 1

This is interesting .

That is exactly the LMS exhaust with the S tip on it. No question in my mind it is. They must have made 2 batches, twin and single for NA/S.

See mine below. 

- Edited add:   like andy007 mine is also stamped TRACK USE only.  It's a deeper sound than the larini.

IMG_5641.thumb.JPG.078a0c4294fb99685ef47f80c0cc7016.JPGIMG_5644.thumb.JPG.44d47e8d2dd3052cf2a3580cbd7d7005.JPG

Seeing yours gives me confidence to cut mine open to repack if my next exhaust is not as quiet as I want (yes yes I am onto  my third type now).

Can you post up what you have done if it's ready/in use now?

Edited by series_one

Pierre, thanks for your input. It took me a month or so to source stainless steel wool in a reasonable batch size and to finally get it delivered. Meanwhile I started an engine-and-transmission-out-and-total-rebuild project on one my other cars, so nothing has happened with the LMS silencer. However, the new Evora S engine should be shipped any day (today?), so I will probably fix the re-pack next week. Pictures and facts will be posted once available!

So, finally. It is done. We failed with the first attempt to manufacture and weld a flange to the cut out section and had to make a new cover. The new engine has been delayed for some time, so this fix hasn't had top priority among all other car projects. The most time consuming activity must have been to find out how to seal the cover to the silencer body. I have watched numerous youtube clips with motorcycle silencer re-packing, but either they don't specify exactly which product they use, or it isn't available in Sweden even though other products from the same brand are sold here. Could maybe be related to the chemical composition and EU rules? Anyhow, after ordering the red high temp silicon from Würth (Super RTV Plus, red), withstanding 370 C, they said I should use their exhaust paste. So that is what we used. It withstands 700 C and can cope with the vibrations. Chimney silicon, for example, turns hard and brittle.

The sealing surface is >2 cm all around and we used 5 mm stainless steel blind rivets.

The stainless steel wool was fixed with 7 stainless steel zip ties, such as one use to fix exhaust wrap.

After finishing the riveting, I heated everything up with a 650 C hot air gun for 10 minutes - to "vulcanize" the exhaust paste

Total cost? Around £100, whereof the two damping mats are more than half of it.

IMG_5195.jpg

IMG_5192.jpg

IMG_5193.jpg

IMG_5194.jpg

IMG_5188.jpg

Edited by #84
.. forgot the last three sentences ...

For reference, this attempt failed. It took forever to point weld the flange and then when my friend sealed it off with a TIG-seam the it all bent like a horse saddle. After straightened it out, it just needed a gentle touch to flip back into the saddle shape. Massive waste of time ..

IMG_4965.jpg

IMG_4964.jpg