free hit
counters
Reversing camera retrofit - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I have decided to install a reversing camera into my 2010 N/A Evora (the car of winners, so I have read).  I have gone for the Alpine HCE115,  I know cheaper versions are available but it was on sale and I liked the idea of keeping it original (ish).

My car has the tech pack, I thought this included the reverse camera but there is no evidence of it at all.

Some questions if I may:

1) It looks as though I will need brackets for both the camera and the controller unit according to DeRoure.  No worries getting these, can anyone tell me where the controller unit is positioned as I guess there won't be any evidence of where it should go on my car.

2) Has anyone run a cable from the front of the car to the rear pf the car, any pitfalls or difficulties?

3) I guess there is no chance of any of the wiring being part of my existing harness?

I would mention I have the W920r head unit rather than the original unit when the car was new.

Any other advice or tips appreciated!

Thanks Neil 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Neil,

I replaced my reversing camera for a HCE105 last year. The wiring from the camera runs from outside the rear clam into the boot, and from memory, runs down the offside through the cabling duct into the cabin where the control unit sits beside the rear seat.

I didn’t have to change the control unit but I saw the wiring run along the sill and around behind the head unit. 

When I changed my HU the camera was a simple plug into the RCA input but I understand you’ll need to use the reversing lights to power up the camera and control unit as the HU can be set to automatically change to the rear view when a camera signal is present. I don’t know whether the loom is present but I suspect you’ll have to use the cabling that comes in the Alpine’s box.

The 2 trickiest bits in my install was the refitment of the rear bumper (it took a while to get the alignment right on my own) and the head unit was difficult to remove the first time - the fasteners were well stuck in after 8 years in position.

Hope this helps,

Steve

My car didn't come with the tech pack and I have retrofitted everything except the Subwoofer.

You don't actually need to remove the bumper. You can feed a piece of stiff wire through a grommet in the boot (I used one that was for my parking sensors) remove the black bar on the bumper that holds the number plate lights and drill a hole in the center where the cut out is for the camera bracket. You will be able to feel the wire with your finger and pull it through the hole in the bumper. Tape your wires from the camera to the stiff wire and pull it through to the boot.

I then cable tied the cable to the existing loom in the boot behind the latch cover (I also taped in to the reverse wire here but I didn't use the oem camera). There is a grommet on the drivers side between the boot and engine bay I fed the cable through this and found another grommet on the firewall between the engine bay and passenger cell I then ran the cable along the sill cover.

Running the cable in passenger cell is the most time consuming part, the trim is held on with the most hardcore velcro and screwvits ever.

• Like 1

My car is also a 2010 NA. I had the single din radio and replaced it for an Alpine double din sat nav and added the reversing camera. It was an easy job for the hifi installer and has worked perfect ever since. The added advantage is that my Alpine reversing camera is much better quality and a better angle/shot than the one fitted as standard by lotus.

I even think the hole or whatever for it was already there.....

The original camera mount on my car could only be accessed from behind the bumper - you needed to remove a couple of Allen screws which are all but impossible to access without the thing off and you get to sustain some interesting forearm cuts if you try...

It sounds like if you use one of the methods the guys used above, you can get away without the hassle of getting yourself injured.

Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated.

I read on one of the other threads on this forum on this subject that thin arms are an advantage, which is something I do have.

Going to do the job this weekend so I now know which way I am heading (and hopefully I can see where I am heading in reverse afterwards).

• Like 1

Help!!!

I don't know if its my lack of electrical knowledge or the instructions being vague, but I am utterly confused by what to do with the installation,

As the dash is now out I am hoping to get as much done before it goes back in.  I have laid everything out on the floor to dry run the installation but need some help with it please.   Here is what I have:

20180210_133425.thumb.jpg.b252ce5b667347deebf05a72cb8702e6.jpg

Firstly, I don't seem to have anywhere to plug the camera into?  Secondly, the RCA lead - where does the other end of that go - do I even need it?  I would have thought the long cable from the control unit to the head unit would supply the image.  I have a "CAMERA" input on the back of the head unit which the lead corresponds with, albeit only taking up half the socket height.

The black & orange/white cables I am happy with in terms of finding an earthing point and connecting to the reversing live feed - I have seen that on another topic.

I also thought the control unit was housed under the rear seat but can't see how I am going to get all the gubbins of the orange/white wire into the bootspace.

I would really appreciate any advice, its doing my head in!

EDIT -OK  I have just twigged that the lead I have shown going to the head unit actually goes the other way and connects to the camera, so I have answered that question myself.

SO I guess I need to the RCA cable for the picture - I am now thinking I need some kind of adapter to plug into the back of my head unit?

Nothing is ever easy!

Hi Neil,

It looks like your HU adapter is missing.  I changed mine to a Kenwood unit which came with the RCA input.

The other tricky bit is how you’re going to mount the camera - did your kit come with a gimbal? If so, you can mount it from behind the bumper and adjust it to get the maximum useful FOV.

Hope it goes well.

Steve

Thanks Steve - yes I have an angled bracket with the camera to mount it, and I have now sourced the harness.  I didn't realize I needed to buy a lead in order to connect it all up.  So that bit is sorted.

However I am still confused.  First question - where does the control module sit?  The Lotus service notes say it is in the boot, on LHS of transom.  If I put it in the boot, I am OK to pick up on the reversing wire but am limited for earth points as there is no chassis here.  Steve (and others) have mentioned it is in the cabin by the rear seat - I have the subwoofer so space here is limited ( I have the trim off and have full access to the area).  If I mount it there I am OK for an earth point but will need to extend the cable to pick up on the reversing wire.  I really want it where it was originally positioned, if anyone has a photo that would be awesome.

Second question - I have read reports of where to run the wire from the cabin to the boot (a good one on Lotus Talk). I can't see how to get to the cable route used for the rear wring, so it would have to go into the engine bay, possibly around the bowden cable for the tailgate release and am concerned that the engine bay heat will be a problem on the cable?  Have found the big grommet into the cabin by the rear set belt mounts, its just how I route it backwards from here.

This bloody job has taken me four days over three weekends so far...wish I had never started it now. 

Hi Neil,

I didn’t have to change the control module on my install (it only took me all day!) but the cabling from the camera went around the rhs of the boot and I’m pretty sure into the cabin via the conduit down the side of the engine bay. The composite video cable only appears on the far side of the control box so it wouldn’t have to go through the engine bay if the box is mounted in the cabin.

I’ll see if I can see exactly where it goes tomorrow evening when I get back to the car.

16 hours ago, Nelly said:

This bloody job has taken me four days over three weekends so far...wish I had never started it now. 

I had a single din radio in my Evora. Went to my local car audio shop, they put a double din alpine in and added the reversing camera. Apart from buying the radio  and camera, they charged me nothing to fit it and it took them half a day in total.

Sometimes, it's just better to get someone who know's what they are doing to do it!  ;)

As mentioned, my wiring goes up the RHS of the boot and into the wiring duct. The photos show the duct coming out of the boot corner, going over the gearbox and beneath the engine mount and up to the bulkhead - this would be tricky to split and add the extra wiring. The simplest way would be to add another piece of ducting and follow the route for the emergency boot release. The control unit sits near the subwoofer.

D6AA36D1-3950-4DEF-9989-DB64CD4E09CC.jpeg

9777302D-1DF1-4A8B-BC93-E097E2588A71.jpeg

AB9E9CCC-7618-4A38-8225-E234493B09E4.jpeg

Thanks very much for the replies.

I managed to find a couple of photos this morning of the sub woofer which showed the location of the control unit so that's in, and the RCA cable run. I have also has the wheel arch lining off and sussed the cable route.  @Ledlights - thanks for the photos, really appreciate it - they have confirmed what I thought to be the case so I have made a couple of holes in the grommets in readiness for the cables.

Slowly getting there. Only downside today is I caught my arm on the black trim which surrounds the top of the rear window, and cracked it.  I haven't seen the cost yet but I suspect that will cot me what I have saved doing the job myself.  Could have cried when that went crack.

@C8RKH - I think you are right.  How the guys did it in half a day I don't know, think you got a good deal there.

• Like 1

Maybe that be worth repairing and having it sprayed...

5182CC52-7C90-423C-A8D2-46B9B77916F2.png

Thanks Lee, I have already looked this up and used some swear words.

I may well do that but the car has got to be perfect at the end of the day.  Could have done without it though.

That's really disappointing. You may find success in getting it repaired?? I have a small crack in my sail panel and was thinking of repairing and strengthening the panel and refinishing it. Possibly replace with a carbon fibre one but not sure how it would look on laser blue.

16 hours ago, Nelly said:

Thanks Lee, I have already looked this up and used some swear words.

I may well do that but the car has got to be perfect at the end of the day.  Could have done without it though.

Well, if you think  the plastic panel is expensive

http://www.elise-shop.com/engine-bay-vent-panel-in-carbon-fibre-evora-evora-s-p-502950.html