free hit
counters
Rev counter stopped working - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
NZ Baggies

Rev counter stopped working

The rev counter in my 2011 Evora has started to do some strange things. And will occasionally stop working altogether.

on start it wil do the usual check but will go almost completely round the clock face and stop it then (as I drive) slowly return to zero and stay there.

I can leave the car overnight and it will reset and the rev counter will work as normal. However during the day on the next start up or the one after the problem will return.

anyone else experienced this?

Is there a hard reset procedure.

only the rev counter is effected. All other dash functions are good. There are no warning lights.

Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi and welcome Paul. Odd dash behaviour can show that your battery is on the way out, Evora OE batteries are pretty poor and die very suddenly in most cases.

That said, there is a reset procedure for the dials which I'll confirm with the factory on Monday but I think it's something along the lines of: drivers door stays open, press the trip reset button on the end of the indicator stalk for 3 seconds then turn the key to position 2 very quickly (while still holding the trip reset). You should see the firmware revision pop up on the dash to confirm it's reset the dials. 

Bibs,

Thank you very much for your reply. Battery is getting in for 4 years old. So will get that checked on Monday.

Thank you for your offer of tracking down the reset procedure for the dash with the factory. Much appreciated.  You don't get that sort of support with any other make of car. A great part of Lotus ownership.

Paul Aston.

• Like 1

Happy to help mate. 4 years makes your battery a prime candidate for end of life but I'll be sure to post those instructions on Monday :)

I've spoken with Lotus and if the battery was on the way out, there may have been other things happen before this. It's not something they've seen before. 

Do you know when it happens, is there a pattern or is it random? 

If you've got the latest ECU updates, please try the procedure as I posted above. If you've an old software revision, this may illuminate the airbag light which will require a trip to the dealer to reset. If that doesn't work, turn the car off and leave it for half an hour then hard reset by disconnecting the battery for a short period of time. Please let me know if none of this helps and I'll try to find out more for you :)

Bibs,

Software up dates are an issue for us here in NZ with no official dealer.

Tried the reset procedure as follows. Drivers door open. Key turned to position 1 held in trip reset button for 3 seconds. Then turned key to position 2. Stil holding reset button. Rev counter and speedo needles do their thing . However rev counter struggles to sweep the full arc of the dial. And has come to rest at 1000 rpm.

Nothing showed on the dash to tell me what software version the car s running. Where should that show?

Will try the battery disconnect when I have time tomorrow.

thanks for your help so far.

Paul Aston.

sounds like the rev counter stepper motor is failing to me. Or the processor has a faulty output driving the motor. I know nothing of the Evora electronics, but most if not all modern cars have this technology. Could even be a dry joint. You could see if there is a local repairer of auto electronics who would have a go.

Issue with rev counter could be heat related. Over the last couple of days I have started the car and the rev counter has worked as it should. 

As the day gets (it has been in the mid thirties here) the irrational behaviour returns. Eventually the rev counter stops working altogether.

I guess it could be an electrical connection failing with expansion?

might be worth disconnecting the instrument pack connector and using some contact cleaner.

Paul Aston.

There's a specific direct wire for the rev counter versus the can bus/etc for the rest of the instrument cluster data.  Since you're only having issues with that, it might be worth investigating it.  I noticed it in the circuit diagrams while trying to figure out issues I'm having with my instrument cluster.

Up date. Looks as though my problems with the rev counter are a dry solder joint somewhere in the instrument unit.

counter works fine on start up. Then starts to play up after a few minutes.

All other dash functions are fine including the operation of the shift lights.

Will look at wire to rev counter as esseye suggests.

Otherwise will remove the instrument unit and get it to my local electronics guy.

PA.

Well after a number of months a couple of attempts. The rev counter in my instrument unit has been repaired and is back in the car.

The rev counter stepper motor and a couple of relays that drive the motor had failed. Not sure which failed first and wether one part failing caused others to fail.

These units are manufactured by. Company called Pektron in the UK.

Great to be back driving the car again.

PA.

473CDEFA-09B8-4CCE-900F-D47E017619B6.jpeg

• Like 1

Well done!