free hit
counters
100% original Esprit S2 restoration after 30 years parked - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
williamtherebel

100% original Esprit S2 restoration after 30 years parked

So here goes with my restoration of a Federal S2 that I have had shipped over to the UK. After over 25 years of Eclat ownership I hope I know what Ive gotten into! Car left the factory on 1st Sept 1978 bound for California but wasn't purchased until Feb 1981 in New Jersey. Any thoughts as to what could have happened in the years between? I have the service history from its date of purchase up to its 25000 mile service. It was then purchased by a gentleman as a gift for his son (nice gift!) who then gifted it to his son. So its been in the same family since 1986 and looks a genuine 18.500 miles on the clock. Everything seems original from the windscreen wiper to the Blaupunkt radio cassette. However the tailgate struts (which don't work) have "not for auto use" stamped on them. Is this standard practice a al Colin Chapman?? Anyway here are a few photos to start with.

01-2.jpg

04-2.jpg

08.jpg

60.jpg

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

That s2 looks lovely and what a fantastic colour also,   great find and well done for getting her back to blighty :thumbup:

• Like 1

Wow looks great!

Only thing Id ask has the seats been retrimmed? Colour looks a bit of an odd mix against the green but hey who knows from the 1970s!

Im sure there isnt much difference from the Eclat. Cambelt change may be less easily accessible on the Esprit....but dont forget the engine is in the back....:lol:

buddsy

Has that green faded from black originally?

I think that was the actual colour Barry just retro 70s vibe :)

• Like 1

Looks Devine to me

• Like 1

Nice looking car, good luck with the restoration! Just one question though, if there are 18,500 miles on the clock why has it had its 25,000 service?

2 hours ago, gbowick said:

Nice looking car, good luck with the restoration! Just one question though, if there are 18,500 miles on the clock why has it had its 25,000 service?

Opps, Typo strikes again!! (that or having a senior moment!) Clock has 48000 miles on  NOT 185000. 

Regarding the interior colour, it looks like it was a darker colour (yuuky brown/grey??) and has faded to green. I can tell by the colour on the material that is never exposed. Ill take and post some photos next week and you can judge for yourselves. I'm in the process of getting the 'workshop' ready. My mate has allowed me to use one of the outbuilding at his farm. However  seeing as it is just that, there are no electrics, lighting, benches nothing. So I'm in the process of building workbenches, getting electrics put in etc. Monday I'm purchasing a car lift which will be brilliant for working underneath. More photos soon!  

the interior will have been either black or dark brown and its faded to green. This is a well known issue with the material. :) 

15 hours ago, Buddsy said:

Wow looks great!

Only thing Id ask has the seats been retrimmed? Colour looks a bit of an odd mix against the green but hey who knows from the 1970s!

Im sure there isnt much difference from the Eclat. Cambelt change may be less easily accessible on the Esprit....but dont forget the engine is in the back....:lol:

buddsy

Seats look original to me but I'm not arguing if anyone knows for sure! Leather is quite hard, so will have to try and get some suppleness back into it to stop it cracking or coming out of the sewing.

They may well be orig. I notice the carpet is black too.

The gliptone products are the best ive found for cleaning and returning the suppleness to the leather.

https://www.liquidleather.com/liquid-leather-m40

buddsy

6 hours ago, Buddsy said:

They may well be orig. I notice the carpet is black too.

The gliptone products are the best ive found for cleaning and returning the suppleness to the leather.

https://www.liquidleather.com/liquid-leather-m40

buddsy

Brill, thanks for that. Ill check it out.

Also remove a part of the trim William that will not of been got at by the sunlight on the dash board or door card etc,   this will give you an idea of the colour change if it has changed over the years due to the effects sunlight damage.  

But i would also striongly suggest the lotus birth certificate from Hethal archives,  you can get this on your own or become a forum gold member and get it included in the package :thumbup:

If you got it at that price, even with shipping added ..... it was  an absolute bargain :respect:

On ‎28‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 00:47, silverfrost said:

Also remove a part of the trim William that will not of been got at by the sunlight on the dash board or door card etc,   this will give you an idea of the colour change if it has changed over the years due to the effects sunlight damage.  

But i would also striongly suggest the lotus birth certificate from Hethal archives,  you can get this on your own or become a forum gold member and get it included in the package :thumbup:

If you got it at that price, even with shipping added ..... it was  an absolute bargain :respect:

Yes I got it from Kurt Tanner at a bit less than what was shown on the website. We came to an "arrangement"! Including the shipping I am well pleased with my initial outlay. (of course I haven't examined it in detail underneath yet!!!!) No doubt an arm and a leg will have to go before its up and running to my satisfaction! Yes I will need to get its birth certificate soon.

Finished the couple of workbenches I made yesterday. Picked up of the car lift today. God, its big and heavy (for 2 of us).Thats the huge black package that runs the length of the car transporter in the photo. Its like a big Meccano set. Cant wait to get it up and built. The other pic is where the magic is going to happen.(The red Eclat is my 'donor' car to keep mine on the road.) However seeing as it is complete, I am having second(guilty) thoughts about breaking it up seeing as there are less and less of them.

DSC09955.JPG

DSC09956.JPG

• Like 1

On ‎28‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 00:45, Freemason said:

Thought it looked familiar...

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/lotus/esprit/2007264.html

Congratulations, looks like a nice example.

It is and I'm very pleased with it, however,it will never look like yours is going to though!

That looks llke a mighty impressive work area you have William with loads of room to work,  you are very lucky indeed :thumbup:  Are you breaking the red lotus i take it then :cry:

Congrats on the acquisition of this car!   I had been watching it and was soooo tempted myself!   Glad it is in good hand!

And yes, that interior is 100% original, and was 100% black when new.  There was no green or gray marcasite anywhere to my knowledge, but especially not on Federal cars.  What you are looking at is what black marcasite fades to, and what black leather fades to when old and dry. 

As you remove the door cards, you will likely find the chassis number hand written on the back side.  The leather *may* be savable with stripping, conditioning, and re-dye;  but if you opt to re-trim, you will probably see the chassis number hand written on the back side of the upholstery when you remove it.

Take lots of photos for posterity/for the history of this car.  IIRC, Lotus do not have as complete records for most U.S. S1 and S2 Esprits because the detailed records (selling dealer, etc.) were in the care of the USA operation which folded and a lot of records were lost.

Congrats again -- great car!    :D  :D  :D 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, silverfrost said:

That looks llke a mighty impressive work area you have William with loads of room to work,  you are very lucky indeed :thumbup:  Are you breaking the red lotus i take it then :cry:

Yes I am lucky. I'm very grateful to my mate for letting me use it. Ive had to get electricity in, build workbenches etc but its going to be great for working on the Esprit. I'm now reluctant to break the Eclat. I haven't had to touch it yet because I purchased another Eclat in bits some time ago and Ive been using that to keep mine on the road. I turn the engine over religiously each month. Because there are fewer and fewer Eclats left I would feel guilty about breaking it.Ill just have to see how it goes. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Tony K said:

Congrats on the acquisition of this car!   I had been watching it and was soooo tempted myself!   Glad it is in good hand!

And yes, that interior is 100% original, and was 100% black when new.  There was no green or gray marcasite anywhere to my knowledge, but especially not on Federal cars.  What you are looking at is what black marcasite fades to, and what black leather fades to when old and dry. 

As you remove the door cards, you will likely find the chassis number hand written on the back side.  The leather *may* be savable with stripping, conditioning, and re-dye;  but if you opt to re-trim, you will probably see the chassis number hand written on the back side of the upholstery when you remove it.

Take lots of photos for posterity/for the history of this car.  IIRC, Lotus do not have as complete records for most U.S. S1 and S2 Esprits because the detailed records (selling dealer, etc.) were in the care of the USA operation which folded and a lot of records were lost.

Congrats again -- great car!    :D  :D  :D 

Hi Tony thanks for the info. Ill see what it says behind the door cards when I start stripping it. Ive got the vin number and the engine number already. they match up so it seems to be a 'matching numbers' car. Can you tell me what llRC is?

IIRC = If I recall correctly    ;)  

By the way, the name of the popular "close to marcasite" fabric is "crypton suede" if you go that route. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony K said:

IIRC = If I recall correctly    ;)  

By the way, the name of the popular "close to marcasite" fabric is "crypton suede" if you go that route. 

Cheers Tony. I'm obviously going to be doing a lot of Googling!

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, williamtherebel said:

Cheers Tony. I'm obviously going to be doing a lot of Googling!

William,  if that is what floats your boat not sure if it will move the project along though lol,   Just google "goggling" in the urban dictionary :P

20 hours ago, silverfrost said:

William,  if that is what floats your boat not sure if it will move the project along though lol,   Just google "goggling" in the urban dictionary :P

I'm glad I got my 'googling' spelling correct! I live a sheltered life and have not come across 'goggling' before. However I'm now anxious to try it! I'll have a word with my ladyfriend but I don't hold out much hope!

• Haha 1