free hit
counters
Crank Pulley will not budge - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
gtookey

Crank Pulley will not budge

Crank Pulley is frozen on. Can’t get it to budge. Already busted a puller trying.  From what I’ve read the pulley should kinda wiggle off with some persuasion. This bastard will not move. If I apply heat, how much? torch or a heat gun turned up high?.

The pulley was last off in 2007 when the timing belt was last done. I guess the last bunch didn’t use anti sieze. Doing a new t belt now hence the need to remove the pulley. There is evidence of rust between the crank and the pulley.

any other ideas? If I have to kill this pulley for a new one then so be it.

engine is in the car.

thanks in advance.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Tricky one as it's on a cam shaft that you don't want to damage of course, nor the cam housing it's in..

Copious amount of WD40 sprayed on once or twice a day for a few days may help. It can take that long to penetrate.

Could try a hot air gun on the pulley around the outside maybe? It will take a while but the heat will slowly travel through the pulley causing it to expand.. hopefully the camshaft in the centre is in that much metal it'll soak away any heat it gets and won't expand as much as the pulley itself. You may damage the seal though if it does get too hot.

Hello Glyn,

its the crank pulley not the cam, but the principles would still be the same.  Appreciate the info. I’m off to buy another puller.

That’s the best idea - it’ll pull off chap

The battle has been won !! But it was a fight to the end.

Small 3 inch two finger puller did the trick. Applied pressure, removed  the puller, rotated the crank 90 degrees, reinstalled the puller and repeated. Eventually it popped and moved a few millimeters. Literally a few millimeters.  I kept repeating the process and at every 90 degree move it popped a little more. So working it like that I got it off.

I have the receipt from the garage that did the last timing  belt change and I feel like calling them up and shouting down the phone ‘ ANTI SIEZE and use a TORQUE WRENCH’.

• Like 1

The crank surface that the pulley rides on is very rusty colored to look at. I'll take some fine sand paper and clean up the mating surfaces before reassemble.  All the lower nuts and bolts on the front of the engine appear a little corroded. I've still got to undo the vacuum pump and AC bolts. I cut the belts because they were old.

I've got so much oil floating around my engine bay it's seldom anything rusts!! Hoping my new rear crank seal will help. :)