free hit
counters
Help Throttle Cable! - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
spoonito

Help Throttle Cable!

Just like the Title and description say... I checked my throttle with an OBDII reader, and I was only getting 38% to WOT... So I tried adjusting it. Now it seems that the cable is strecthed out or something as it's pretty slacked and it pops out of the little linkage on the pedal. Did I give it too much pedal movement and now it's stretched out?

What do I do to fix this... I need help quick guys.

Thanks in advance.

Garage:

2001 Lotus Esprit V8

2003 Kawasaki ZX6RR

1994 Toyota 4Runner

Wish list:

MV Agusta F4-1000 Tamburini

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The arm where the cable attatches to the pedal may be bent.

If it is that, you can bend the arm back and then weld in/bolt on reinforment. Once the pedal is straight, then you can adjust the cable and the stop behind the pedal

'03.5 Final Edition Esprit ~ 5.7lbs/hp

mildly modded - 430rwhp, 353rwtq

Just like the Title and description say... I checked my throttle with an OBDII reader, and I was only getting 38% to WOT... So I tried adjusting it. Now it seems that the cable is strecthed out or something as it's pretty slacked and it pops out of the little linkage on the pedal. Did I give it too much pedal movement and now it's stretched out?

What do I do to fix this... I need help quick guys.

Thanks in advance.

Spoonito---> without using OBDII ask someone to press the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor. Check if the accelerator cam hit the WOT stopper.

Its pretty darn hard to bend the cam. Did you adjust the cable adjuster?

38 percent is really bad.

v8accelerator.jpg

I appreciate your very quick responses. Well it SEEMS that it was the pedal. The part that connects the throttle cable to the actual pedal was pretty bent out of shape. I did check to see if the cam open/closed all the way by rotating it. No tubes or wires are hindering it from its normal functioning that I can see. I am the only one home at the moment so I can't have anyone press the accelerator and check that way.

As stated earlier in this post I think it was the pedal. I bent it back and all the slack in the cable is gone and I adjusted the stop behind the pedal to stop just short of full tension which would start to bend the arm. To do this, I actually had to replace it with a longer bolt, because even when the stock bolt was screwed out to its maximum, the cable arm still ended up getting bent. Now it feels like there is barely any pedal movement to full throttle. I've only had a chance to drive one other Esprit ('04) on a 5-10 minute test drive back in October, so I really don't remember how much pedal travel it had. But now it just seems very short. Can anyone verify if their pedal travel feels pretty short?

Also is there a chance that the OBD II reader is not reading correctly? Or is there a possibility the my TPS is getting ready to fail?

Anymore insight would be much appreciated.

Garage:

2001 Lotus Esprit V8

2003 Kawasaki ZX6RR

1994 Toyota 4Runner

Wish list:

Also is there a chance that the OBD II reader is not reading correctly? Or is there a possibility the my TPS is getting ready to fail?

Yeah, a bad TPS can screw up the OBDII but solve the problem one at the time. Check the mechanical stuff like cable adjustment and you said bent pedals. Have someone press the accelerator and go from there. Electrical troubleshooting is more complex. You probably don't need that approach.

I appreciate your very quick responses. Well it SEEMS that it was the pedal. The part that connects the throttle cable to the actual pedal was pretty bent out of shape. I did check to see if the cam open/closed all the way by rotating it. No tubes or wires are hindering it from its normal functioning that I can see. I am the only one home at the moment so I can't have anyone press the accelerator and check that way.

As stated earlier in this post I think it was the pedal. I bent it back and all the slack in the cable is gone and I adjusted the stop behind the pedal to stop just short of full tension which would start to bend the arm. To do this, I actually had to replace it with a longer bolt, because even when the stock bolt was screwed out to its maximum, the cable arm still ended up getting bent. Now it feels like there is barely any pedal movement to full throttle. I've only had a chance to drive one other Esprit ('04) on a 5-10 minute test drive back in October, so I really don't remember how much pedal travel it had. But now it just seems very short. Can anyone verify if their pedal travel feels pretty short?

There should be some travel; ~ 1.75". Although if your pedal was bent it will bend again the first time you drive it.

You need to place the clip on the center adjustment near the TB (this will give you room to fine tune the adjustment later.

The bend the pedal arm back to where there's no slack and no tension. Now reinforce the pedal like shown here by welding or bolting something here. (picture not to scale)

PEDAL.jpg

This is what I did. I found a small u-bolt with just the right radius and cut it to length

UBOLT.jpg

excuse my rough drawings. :P

'03.5 Final Edition Esprit ~ 5.7lbs/hp

mildly modded - 430rwhp, 353rwtq

I got almost everything sorted out. The pedal situation is worked out. I got the pedal adjusted properly, and I got the pedal stop situated so that I don't have to weld any additional reinforcements to it. The throttle cam opens fine with nothing obstructing the movement at all. My pedal has about 2in of travel from completely closed to WOT. Thanks for the drawings though. If at some point the pedal starts to bend again I'll definitely look into that.

As far as the OBD II reader, I tried it on another car and it it worked fine. So here's another question. Does a failing TPS cause problems in acceleration and other ECU functions like AF mixtures, ignition timing, boost settings, ETC... If so, where is the fastest/best place to get one?

Garage:

2001 Lotus Esprit V8

2003 Kawasaki ZX6RR

1994 Toyota 4Runner

Wish list: