free hit
counters
Girling rear brake calipers - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
PhilW

Girling rear brake calipers

Hi

My brakes have never been particularly good although I do get through an MOT OK.  The handbrake however is awful.  A few questions:

1. If the hand brake cables have free movement is there any benefit in installing new ones assuming there is still adjustment left in the old ones?

2. When caliper is dismantled it is virtually impossible to push out the piston from the rear (With the cam housing removed).  Press or G cramp is the only way I could.  Should the piston be that tight?

3. If the piston seal became hard over age would this cause tightness and potential poor movement? Caliper not leaking at all so reluctant to spend over £100 on a seal kit I maybe do not need.

4. The two pins on the caliper mounting bracket are a different shape top and bottom. Can anyone confirm which way around they should be?

5. Appears braking may on be on one side of the disc (inner side), other than the pad on the outside being stuck can anyone suggest any other reason?

Many thanks for any input

Phil

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I, ve send all my calipers to sj for rebuild.He did a good job! On the photo you can see how the pins on the bracket should be...

Screenshot_2018-01-30-14-43-56.png

Thanks Gotti.  I dont have item 19 in mine.  Maybe a small issue.

Can anyone comment on this and the points in the first post?

Many thanks

Phil,item no.19 is the anti rattle spring for the brake pads.Sj sells them.

1. I dont know exactly what you mean! If the cables are intact and have a good free movement you dont need new ones.Thay are easy to adjust.

2. They should pop out easy.I always press them out with compressed air at the bleed screw before i start to dismantle the handbrake mech.Using safety goggles,you dont want brake fluid in your eyes!There will be dirt and rust on the piston.Using Wd-40 and press with air and pull back a few times and it will come out!Take care with a G cramp-the piston can become wedged!!!!!!!

3. Poor movement=dirt and rust in the brake caliper and on the piston.

4. You already know it 

5. The floating brake caliper must move smoothly (the two pins on the mountig bracket should be cleaned and greased with ate brake grease) Your problem will be the floating brake caliper pins and the piston.Both must move smoothly.

......Gotti

Top man.  Thanks Gotti. I shall take great care in cleaning and reassembling. Hopefully have far better brakes at the end. Phil

Yes, and take care of your fingers when you pop out the piston with compressed air :) Good luck

Go to page ten of my resto thread. Under S 25 years in storage.