free hit
counters
Function of this item - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Fredrik Larsson

Function of this item

Can anybody tell me the function of this item?

Its in my Esprit NA from 1987

There is two hoses one from inlet and one to ignition distributor.

Regards Fredrik

B1.jpg

B2.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

On some cars the vac advance on the distributor was only enabled when cold, for emission purposes, so that is likely a valve which closes when the engine is hot.

the lower picture looks like the Idle Up Valve to me.  It applies vacuum to the throttle jack to increase idle speed when the A/C compressor is engaged. It used the same vacuum source (intake) as the dizzy.

USA parts manual, sheet 44.05B, #13

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CarBuff said:

the lower picture looks like the Idle Up Valve to me.  It applies vacuum to the throttle jack to increase idle speed when the A/C compressor is engaged. It used the same vacuum source (intake) as the dizzy.

USA parts manual, sheet 44.05B, #13

Thanks Atwell!

Do you have a copy of this sheet? I just have up to sheet 44.05A :-(

Sure, I attached them.  Idle Up Valve is 'Lucky #13'.  Lotus part # A082L4130F

But, from other posts here, I learned that ROW cars (NOT HCI or Bosch K-Jetronic) don't have the charcoal canister over the RH gas tank.  Also, on second examination, I can't figure out how a valve attached to the charcoal canister would influence idle speed?   Maybe there are TWO identical valves that switch vacuum, with two purposes?

What jurisdiction was your Esprit originally built for?  When you say Esprit NA do you mean Normally Aspirated or North America?

Evap 87.JPG

Evap 872.JPG

My car is build for and sold to Sweden and I mean Normally Aspirated. The funny thing with both Excel and Esprit (NA) is that theese car in Sweden has LC Engines not HC

Edited by Bibs

Non-US cars dont have any of this and the throttle jack is a solenoid. Although its possible some other countries were supplied with US spec cars or a hybrid spec as different countries had different emissions specs.