free hit
counters
bespoke graphics - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

been thinking about adding a bit of colour to my artic silver S1  with stripes, partial wrap,  etc etc

being lotus is 70 Y/o this year and is likely to be holding some sort of get together at the factory, (or so i was led to believe during a recent visit)  it got me thinking a few weeks back abut doing some celebration vinyl graphics on the evora..

that would be quite cool if it comes off..

recently lotus release a couple of 7o year anniversary models, with half baked effort of the odd sticker..

ive aways liked old race themed stickers, of some sorts, going back to 70s le man cars.. but always steered away from adding it any of my cars,  as you either pull it off or it looks very tacky...

well this might be the year where i could get away with it, just for a bit of fun,  remove later if needed...

i only use the evora for a weekend drive, to attend social get togethers, visit a race meeting, or car shows, so it doesnt  matter too much if its  a little loud..

i started looking at mk1  gt 40's for a bit of inspiration  awhile back, but then this popped up on one of my social feeds..

kinda in the colours i had in mind, 

could be fun...  something to play around with until the warmer weather arrives

https://petrolicious.com/marketplace/camilo-pardo-2005-ford-gt-signature-series

https://petrolicious.com/articles/gallery-behind-the-scenes-on-camilo-pardos-ford-gt-film-shoot

granted an evora is not a gt 40, but it does have some nice lines, that could be used to some effect..

would welcome any other ideas you may have seen on other cars that you may have thought would look quite cool.. on an evora..

2005-ford-gt-55-2000x1329.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It's a nice idea, but I would say definitely not Gulf or any other non Lotus livery. The Lotus back catalogue is so large, that there's plenty of choice for a 70 year celebration.

From a motorsport angle we have privateers such as Rob Walker or Alan Mann, then Team Lotus green with yellow centre stripe, then the sponsored colours of STP, Gold Leaf, JPS, Martini, Essex, Camel, or even the more recent iterations. How about the Elise GT1, Esprit GT1 or 2011 Le Mans Evora GTE?

Then there are the famous road car colours. Think The Prisoner's  green and yellow-snouted 7, Emma Peels light metallic blue Elan, Bond's 3 different Esprits, The Lotus Cortina and Lotus Carlton, Essex Blue, Norfolk Mustard.

The list goes on... Whatever you choose, I think you should keep it instrinsically Lotus though.

• Like 2

As var as I can remember there isn't a silver based Lotus race car except for the plain silver Lotus 11's that raced at Le Mans, so no applied grahics are going to be Lotus based.

I think the silver would make a good base though for either a green backgrounf yellow centre stripe down the centre, or the more obvious black/ silver thick thin stripe either centre or to one side.

The other alternative is to go for a complete wrap picking any of the Lotus racing combo colours mentioned above.

Personaly I dont think the orange looks right even on that gt40.

• Like 1

yes, i too think it should have some lotus heritage background...  the trick is getting something work with the silver, 

for instance i could do some grapics in chrome blue and red, a take on the essex colours,,

or perhaps, deep yellow and green could work well...

i agree on the gulf livery it look wrong and feels wrong on a lotus..

going to have to attack  the  search engines.. but the essex lotus colours look like they could work well,  it would be reversed as the prominent colour would be silver, (which would be the chrome) the arctic silver is a very cool sparkly silver in the sun anyway,  use the same font to create a 70th year anniversary logo, and sort out the design...

perhaps even the gold leaf colours but with white substituted for silver,,  would need to compile a colour pallet board to see if this worked,,,  though, and whilst i like gold wheels on silver cars if the correct tone, it reminds me of some young kid with his silver subaru with gold wheels, it looked utter rubbish.. 

might be a good place to start, best to hit the internet for some searching then start sketching, see if it develops...  , 

i have no issues with re painting my wheels, currently they are matt anthracite, 

for it to work it needs to be fluid, not some hocked up poor execution... if i cant get it to work properly and look cool it wont happen...  granted my idea of cool is different to others, so will have to see..

Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 10.38.50.png

12136248296_a607461407_b.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 10.39.09.png

Edited by andyj007
  • Like 2

You could look into doing a full wrap, that way you get a colour change,  and essex mk1 or classic green and yellow like the recent special edtion elise would look awesome also.  

Using a GT40 for insperation is going to be hard from the start , as basically any colour or stickers would look good on a gt40 bodyline  :)

Ive not seen a full warp yet on any car that i would  be happy with, I cant stand the little fold /cut lines that show on detail arts when looking hard...  certainly at teh cost at which id be happy with..

therefore its going to have to be partial wrap (limited to big flat areas ) stripes & some graphics of some description..

I wasn't too keen on the Essex graphics that came with my Evora so had them taken off. 

However, to keep the package complete when the time comes to sell the car, I was provided with a new spare set  :rolleyes:

IMG_0275.JPG.10f22a459828b3a7a67ba6aad8624497.JPG

• Like 1

There was also a TLFer who ISTR bought a black 400 and then put lots of red stripes and graphics over it. There will be photos of it somewhere. 

Was it @blindside(before he upgraded to a 410)?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulCP said:

I wasn't too keen on the Essex graphics that came with my Evora so had them taken off. 

However, to keep the package complete when the time comes to sell the car, I was provided with a new spare set  :rolleyes:

IMG_0275.JPG.10f22a459828b3a7a67ba6aad8624497.JPG

thanks for posting this....,gives me a good visusal on how that would look, i quite like it... i think it could work quite good with two stripes.. i e the same margin .. had a quick play..

IMG_0275.JPG.10f22a459828b3a7a67ba6aad8624497.jpg

something like this on my artic silver...  

with the correct essex shade of blue in the middle....

SILVER 70.jpg

Edited by andyj007
  • Like 2

That looks very cool in my opinion 

• Like 1

Does seem to suit the white car better, maybe reduce the thickness of the red lines a little?

I'll have a look to see if I kept any more photos of mine with the graphics on it.

The original graphics look great on the Essex Esprit but I think that shape helps Insomuch as they can continue all along the car from front to rear. The curves and wheelbase length on the Evora means that any stripes or graphics can only go between the wheels which seems, IMO, to result in making the car look a little "dumpy"

Only my opinion &, since we are all different in our tastes, I'm a big believer that doing whatever suits you best is the right thing to do:thumbsup:

another quick play.....  with my limited editing skills..

ArcticSilver-1.jpg

• Like 1

Hmmm, as I mentioned above "The curves and wheelbase length on the Evora means that any stripes or graphics can only go between the wheels"

I really don't think that stripes on curves work but hey, that might be just me.

Not normally that keen on dancing donkeys, but that green open top one with the gold alloys and red leather :wub: