free hit
counters
What did you do on 1st day of ownership ? - Page 3 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Cdm2018

What did you do on 1st day of ownership ?

1 hour ago, Bravo73 said:

Nice work. What are you getting?

Evora 400 from Silverstone. Got distracted by the noise and before I knew what had happened it’d been bought. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I collected my car in Detroit MI, and drove it home to Nashville TN, a distance of about 600 miles.  Following is a "previously published" (our US Lotus forum, Lotus Talk) account of the first day with my new car.  I'm not sure if the photo of the car parked in front of the Bates Motel (Hitchcock reference included in body of text) will translate to these pages but I can fill it in later if necessary. I hope this isn't too long and is taken to be in the spirit of the thread.  

I left Detroit on Sunday morning  with my friend Paul who hitched a ride to Nashville with me. We tiptoed through Ohio on I- 75 as it has a reputation for being a heavily policed bit of road. Once we crossed the state line, we got off the freeway and took back roads planning to stay the night in Bardstown, which is in the center of bourbon country.  

An observation:  man, are we a fat country. It's evident all the time and everyday, but you really can't help but be struck anew by the depth of fatness when once you're in a place like Bardstown. Even the relatively good looking people are fat as we discovered on our first stop, a tour of the Maker's Mark distillery. One benefit I've discovered  of traveling through the south is that no matter how fat you are, you will always find somebody who is fatter. Usually, more than just one somebody. You get to feel better by comparison. It's  great. 

We entered Bardstown from the north.  Bardstown oozes old town cuteness in the middle of pastoral splendor which is ruined for me mainly by aggressive mosquitos. There are not a lot of choices for hotels so we settled on the (really!) Bates Motel just outside the downtown area.  I have no idea where you're supposed to sleep other than the Bates or a centrally located  B&B that was at one time the county jail so you're on your own if you decide to stay there. As is visible below, the Bates was absolutely empty, which was not encouraging. See for yourself!  There are any number of explanations, but the one that springs to mind is that the place sort of sucks, although it has a nice pool.  

2zity4i.jpg

The best thing about the restaurants in town is that you always seem to have to walk through a bar to get the dining room. The town's establishments have the longest bourbon lists conceivable, in fact they are longer than you could possibly imagine. I guess  Bardstown has chosen Stephen Foster as their hero because of "Old Kentucky Home."  There are signs lauding Foster although there is no evidence he ever lived there or even has been there.  However, the  town has managed to associate itself with Foster and holds an annual music festival dedicated to him. I associate Foster's music with slavery and a certain sentimentality about the old south, but they're all about him. And that's Bardstown for you, or at least as far as we got into the place.

From there we drove to the Maker's Mark distillery., The roads, and it's the only way in,  were undulating and twisting, narrow two lane country affairs perfectly suited to the car's strengths. I drove in good spirit to the distillery and Paul drove out and it was the best driving of the trip. The car exists for this and it's hard to find flaw when you're driving roads such as those. Interestingly, they're much like the roads I've seen and imagine exist all around Hethel. The hardest part of this car,  for big guys like us is getting in and out which takes some twisting of its own. I learned that once you're cocooned inside, it's quite comfortable. The AC worked fine in humid mid-summer southern heat which was a tremendous relief to me given the criticisms older Evoras seem to take on this account.  Trust me, the AC is fully up to the job. 

This was a lot of fun and a lot of laughs. We all have different dreams and wants. Owning a properly selfish high performance car has been a dream for me for almost as long as I can remember. Sometimes we get our wishes met and they don't meet expectations or it seems to come out differently than we imagined. How the Lotus works out in the long run remains to be seen, but these last four days have been priceless. I'm really grateful my life allows me such distractions and that's the real message this exercise has given me.  That said, the reality of this car has been a blast so far.

I should add now, six months into my ownership, that any doubts I had about this car's suitability for me have been thoroughly erased.  What a machine!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

'17 Evora 400 MT 

I have spoken to my lotus dealer this morning about video I had sent over the weekend showing the handbrake poor operation.

they are going to view it and let me know I can take it to my closet lotus service centre for the correct adjustment.

i just hope that a common sense approach is taken and all I have to do is arrange for the car to booked in and the rest is covered by the warranty.

drove the car this afternoon for a short run it becoming more and more a great experience which I hope will long continue 

My first day in my Elise, I drove from Norfolk (Strattons) to Whitchurch in Hampshire with my wife beside me. Fantastic day! Especially when my boys saw it (I hadn't told them I was buying it).

My first day in my Esprit I drove from Rochdale to Whitchurch on my own, in November, in the rain, with darkness falling and I had forgotten to check that the headlights worked (they didn't pop up until I got to Newbury). After that drive I am happy taking it anywhere!

I bought a silver Esprit GT3 about 18 years ago from a dealer in Manchester. I was exchanging an Elan S2 and drove up there with a mate also a big Lotus fan.

What a car that was! It's probably the only car I've ever regretted selling, it was fantastic!

We had a great drive back, as excited as a couple of school kids. I dropped my mate off at Stansted then drove on to Chelmsford, I don't live there I just didn't want to go home 

I got to the Waltham bypass (in those days quite empty) and nailed it only to see a copper at the other end of the straight with a speed camera mounted on a tripod. I braked as hard as I could but he clocked me at 97 in what was effectively a 60. He asked me how long I'd had the car, when I told him he nearly killed himself laughing! 

I went to court and managed to get away with a few points and a fine by telling the storey exactly how it was, I think the magistrate was also a bit of a fan!

• Haha 2

Saturday morning we drove the Exige over to Silverstone.  The M5/M42/M40 motorways are not the best playground for a car like this but the weather was awful so we just wanted to get to the dealer's safely.  Once the handover was complete we headed home by the reverse route - with similar wind and rain.  This is why we made the change; the Evora was so much more relaxing to drive on these major roads.  Yet when we got nearer home it still has that Lotus handling so, despite the rain, I could drive in a "spirited" manner.  We managed to get home in time for the day's 6 Nations matches too.

On Sunday we took the car up to the Midland Automobile Club's Breakfast meeting at Shelsley Walsh.  I know the surrounding roads very well, both as a cyclist and and a driver.  The Evora was great; it flowed over the ground and handled beautifully.  Had some nice comments from a few Lotus owners at the meeting too.

So far I'm very happy with the change.

• Like 1

So nice to hear of some positive warming stories of the first days of ownership 

hopefully I can view this issue I am going through as a blip and I have much more rewarding driving times ahead.

however feel very disappointed at moment that I have not being able to get that “Lotus” feelings and smiles ☹️