free hit
counters
Removing the drivers airbag - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Very quick question I hope.

I am removing the steering wheel from my 201 NA.  Battery is disconnected and I have removed the two retaining bolts holding it in place.

Have come to withdraw the airbag and it has a yellow clip holding it in which is tricky to get to.  Has anyone removed it and knows the best way?  I really don't want to try and force it, not that I think it would go off but don't want to risk anything like that.  The clip looks like it has a small tab to push down, which I have done but not able to pull it back at the same time.

If anyone has done this and can advise I would appreciate it!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Have you got a photo of the yellow clip in question?

When I swapped my steering wheel, I obviously had to remove the air bag (a couple of times). Aside from the obvious electrical connector, I can’t recall any other clips. 

Sorry I have got my words wrong.  I meant the yellow connector.  The airbag itself is free, just need to disconnect it to remove completely and its the connector I don't want to mess with too much.

If you’re talking about the electrical lead & connector, it’s just one of those very annoying, ‘standard’ connectors, I’m afraid. There will be a tab somewhere which needs to be pressed somewhere before you can pull it apart. I find them eternally frustrating. 

As far as I remember the part that has to be pressed was on the top. I had to use a very thin / small screwdriver to press it (like the ones that are used to tighten the screws for glasses).

Thanks both - that certainly looks t be the case.  Just didn't want to start grabbing and pulling hard in case something went off! 

Will be doing the deed tomorrow.

They are universalIMG_6088.thumb.JPG.030ba01d504c7cb610accccae4e4a3e7.JPG, a flat head screw driver will do the job. Should come off easy. Does it look like the one in the photo below? 

I just replaced the indicator stalk on my other car and needed to release the airbag first.

Without power (I left mine for 20 mins disconnected and checked the window drop gizmo wasn't working before touching it) it's not going to go off. 

for those of you thinking airbags never go off without a crash.. i can vouch that they do....

had  a new vw bora it was when they first came out as a diesel sport many moons ago think it was an .. was the very first tdi sport (when diesels had just become the next big best thing and  petrol engines were deemed to be the devil)    funny how our idiot leaders make such huge errors

after one week of driving a light came up on the dash... (not airbag)   i ran the car down to the vw garage.. where the tech open the door got down on his knees to plug in his computer.. as he did so the air bags went off! about 4inches from his ear!..  blown ear drum - shock concusion  and hospital job  in ambulance...

i was 8 weeks without the car...  as no bits were available,  then airbags had to come via train... as no explosives on planes..  and vw wanted it to investigate what happened..

as id waited 4 months for this car as the tdi engines were so new  as none were avaliable .. vw uk gave me a press  demo beetle in purple to run about in... this was when the vw beetle re release was brand spanking new...  

its was bloody crap, and horrible colour...but seriously cool as there were virtually none on the road...  but the best thing was everyone in company wanted it for a few days.. so i just kept trading with people.. for something better until i got my car back...

having seen it happen i shut my eyes when working on my cars dislodging the air bags..