free hit
counters
Lotus De Tomaso V8? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus De Tomaso V8?

• Gold FFM

As part of the Gentleman Drivers Run yesterday, we visited 2 classic car garages. Tucked away in a corner was a V8 engine on a stand. No logos or such, but an short description calling it a racing engine developed by Lotus and De Tomaso in cooperation with Cosworth. A quick google yielded no answers, so I though I'd call upon the vast knowledge on here. I kinda like the idea of this engine in an early Esprit. B-)

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

There was a Cosworth DFV fitted to an old formula race car close by, that looked quite different. This one seemed bigger, no capacity was given, output was estimated at 500bhp IIRC.

I'm thinking of going back there and asking about it. I'm sure they'll be happy to give some info, very nice people with an impressive collection. Most cars are for sale on commission, but you can feel it's not just a business.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM

Thanks a lot Mark, that's the one I saw! If they're so rare, we were very lucky to see one.

As we know, Project M300, the productionised version of the Etna concept never happened. But there is another interesting twist to the engine story. Lotus built a V12 engine around this time which was commissioned by GM to go in to the front of a 'super-Cadillac' but the project was cancelled at an early stage. The story goes that Lotus managed to shoehorn the V12 into the M300 concept, transversely!!! Apparently, those who saw it (or may not have, who knows. its all rumour and hearsay.....) it was wider than a Testerossa and looked appalling!

The 909 V8 was also destined for another concept Lotus had on the drawing board in 1984, project M80, the Lotus Eminence. This was a luxury 5-seat sedan to challenge the likes of Jaguar and Mercedes-Benz. Again, that never got beyond the initial sketches - Lotus had plenty of ideas but no cash to actually take any beyond the concept stage........

Eminence (2).jpg