free hit
counters
Crackling noise from passenger side at speed - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Brendonian

Crackling noise from passenger side at speed

For the past few weeks, I've been getting a loud crackling sound coming from somewhere around the passenger side. Only seems to happen around 80 mph.

I'd guess it's coming from the front edge of the door/A pillar area. It sounds a little like it could even be a loose connection on the door speaker.

The passenger door central locking motor was recently replaced, so the door is an obvious suspect, but I can't really imagine what would be making such a sound. Does anybody have any suggestions/similar experiences?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Checked your a-pillar trim for cracks?

• Like 1

I suspect it is the earth on the stereo. My N/A did it every now and again, pulling the Stereo out and checking the wire connections used to fix it. It didn't matter whether the sound was on or off on the Stereo.

Of course, mine used to happen at 69 mph :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm fairly sure it's not the outer A Pillar trim, and I've not had a passenger in there recently. 

I wish there were a way to switch off the head unit. That would make it easy to rule out electrical gremlins. 

C6 is listed as "Radio B+" in the manual.

Opera Snapshot_2018-02-06_183749_docs.google.com.png

Opera Snapshot_2018-02-06_183853_docs.google.com.png

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Brendonian said:

I wish there were a way to switch off the head unit.

If you’ve got the same headunit as me (Alpine), press and hold ‘SOURCE’ will turn it off.

• Like 1

No, I upgraded to a Pioneer AVIC F960BT

The manual says you can turn it off by switching off the engine ?

Ah. Then it looks Bibs has found the other ‘off switch’. 

• Like 1

Ah, how did I miss Bibs' post? Cheers mate!

I was planning to try pulling the fuse at the weekend, and test it, but I noticed this morning that the a-pillar trim is slightly lifted away from the screen at the upper end. I wonder if the wind could be catching that and flapping it around. Maybe my first test should be to just tape it down and see what happens. Much easier than making notes of all the settings on the head unit.

The A pillar trims have got a history of warping or cracking which can lead to issues like you're having. I had to replace my windscreen recently (due to a crack) and whilst it was being done, I was advised to also change the A pillar trims because they had started to warp. TADTS, I'm afraid.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Brendonian said:

I was planning to try pulling the fuse at the weekend, and test it, but I noticed this morning that the a-pillar trim is slightly lifted away from the screen at the upper end. I wonder if the wind could be catching that and flapping it around. Maybe my first test should be to just tape it down and see what happens. Much easier than making notes of all the settings on the head unit.

Tape it down first to see if it fixes the noise. They tend to lift in the middle to top third which when you remove them you can see why. It is just a few bolts holding it on plus it sits in the rubber trim at the top end. It will not fall off but when it lifts air gets under and makes a noise. If you refit take it carefully as they can crack and make sure the tape you use is weatherproof. The tape Lotus use is frequently on back order - surprise, surprise. They are really Ministry of Crap Design and I can't believe they didn't make them better in the 400.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @gregs24 I may have a play with it this weekend. However, I couldn't get it make the noise on the way back from work this evening. 

Finally got round to testing it out. Stuck the A pillar trim down with some tape, and it seems to have solved my problem. I guess the proper fix is to get hold of the proper tape, and refit it. It's almost tempting to use some kind of mastic/silicone sealant, but I guess that would make future removal more difficult.

Anybody else tried solving this problem?

1/2" (1.27 cm?)  3M VHB tape worked fine for securing mine. Just make sure you clean and prep the area first so it gets a secure bond.

Some of the guys over here have used silicone, but I do not know how difficult it will be to remove later if needed.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @2011 Chrome Orange

I've just been looking at the service notes on fitting the a pillar trims. Seems like several seals/weather strips need to be moved to gain access. Will these just stick back in place, or do they need new adhesive to replace them?

Not 100% confident on DIYing this one.

I did mine a few years back so I don't remember the specifics, but I had no issue with the seals etc. It was a very quick install.

Its also very easy to just take a quick peek to see if you want to do it, or have a professional install it for you. If you can move the gasket to see the nuts and screw then you have easy access. And, if the "door seals 'tail' section" comes loose during the install, you can easily bond it with a small tube of weatherstripping adhesive from an auto parts store. Just remember to prep the area for the 3M tape really good.  An adhesion promoter would make it bond even better.

It really is very basic (I'm all for trying things myself first. After all, a profession was an amateur at one time too :)

• Like 1

Given the age of your car (ie the same as mine), I suspect that your A pillar trims have already started to warp and bend. Any additional tape will probably only be a temporary solution, I’m afraid. 

@Bravo73 There's only like a 1mm gap between the trim and the glass, it doesn't look particularly warped. I'd expect it will be good for a while yet.