Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit S2 PROJECT ON EBAY. - Page 3 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit S2 PROJECT ON EBAY.

silverfrost

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Good to see @GTK on here. Just catching up with the excellent videos after being tipped off about them by someone in the NE Lotus Club during last Monday evening's meet. Very well done (from the MD of a video production company no less!)

Don't want to do @Steve V8 out of work, but unfortunately with the help of Steve we checked the carpet against an original sample and the early G Esprits and there's sufficient difference between the two.

• 3 weeks later...

You got the body off and the drive train out in a day? :o

The pedal box bolts are a job for a contortionist, in the end I pulled out everything from under bonnet and got the last two out through the bulkhead.

58 minutes ago, GTK said:

You got the body off and the drive train out in a day? :o

The pedal box bolts are a job for a contortionist, in the end I pulled out everything from under bonnet and got the last two out through the bulkhead.

Couldn't get them out from inside ( to rusty) managed to get at them with a socket and extension via the heater flap

hole under the bonnet.

Ended up grinding the heads off quite a few of the other bolts .

Great work. The pedal box bolts are deadly. No idea why Lotus didn't have a small cut-out so you could get a socket on the one at the back.

Already thinking about paint, thats impressive. 

Have you sourced a 907 engine or will you refit the K series?

:) 

It's getting there......

• Gold FFM
9 minutes ago, Fairlineguy said:

Ended up grinding the heads off quite a few of the other bolts .

You the man 👍👍 can’t beat the universal fit all esprit spanner 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-cutting-discs-4-115mm-x-1-x-22-23mm-5-pack/76482

went to find a link for thin discs and found these on special offer.......just bought 40 packs !! That’s me and my buddy’s work van stocked for the next year or so and saved a fortune

Only here once

45 minutes ago, TAR said:

Great work. The pedal box bolts are deadly. No idea why Lotus didn't have a small cut-out so you could get a socket on the one at the back.

Already thinking about paint, thats impressive. 

Have you sourced a 907 engine or will you refit the K series?

Should be back from paint with in 6weeks .Hoping to have it on the road this summer

recon the pedal box bolts are going to be a sod to get back in as well . Tempted to try fitting some small studs

in the chassis on the back two then  use nuts.?

• Like 1

Not sure about that, half the problem I had even going through the heater hole in the bulkhead was getting a socket on between the heads and the box sides. I was thinking of swapping out with TX or Allen headed fasteners.

50 minutes ago, GTK said:

getting a socket on between the heads and the box sides.

Yep, thats why I thought about making a half moon cut out in the side of the box, allowing a socket to fit over.

• Like 1

It's getting there......

Good going @Fairlineguy!

Great to see this S2 getting the attention it deserves after a bit of a chequered ownership in recent months.

It's very expensive to do well (I'm undertaking a full nut and bolt restoration of an S1), but even a more modest restoration with the body shell off and giving greater access the work will be thorough.

I got the body shell off the car in a day, stripping everything off first (interior, front luggage area, rear hatch, doors, quart light glass etc). Basically just the fuel tanks and loom to remove. I did have an extra pair of hands to help disassembly, and then a load of pals and a passer-by to help lift the body shell from the chassis.

We stripped the chassis of engine, gearbox and running gear in about half a day.

It's all back together now. About 75% complete. It's the remaining 25% that'll take 50% of the time though. It's all documented, but not to the painstaking level of @GTK! Just lots of photos. (And I run a video production company!)

Good effort (but try and find a 907 engine).

Edited by Fridge

21 minutes ago, GTK said:

@Fridge Are you going to share that when it's done?

I am a TNG (Tight Northern Git), and I don't have a need to pay for this service just to post photos. Even though I end up having to email photos to folk who need them on their restorations.

I'm spending an ABSOLUTE fortune on my restoration, and that's where all the money is going, not on anything else I don't need. I bought the full Lotus certification before TLF, so full membership is of no use unfortunately. Pity, as my restoration is fully documented to 19MP standard. No video though ..... I've enough of that in my day job!

I will make a shit hot film of it if/when it's on the road and fully operational. The storyboard is already in my head.

:lol: If it makes any difference to the TNG in you there are a huge amount of discounts and offers available to full members in the UK that the ROW of us only get some of. For the £20 or whatever it is to be a UK member [I think you're thinking of the gold membership] I'd say it's more than worth it to someone doing a resto.

Not that I'm twisting your arm to post photos, just interested to see :) I know what it's like to be daydreaming about future Esprit footage, I've some mental storyboarding kicking around the old noggin too.

Yes @GTK I've not looked into TLF membership for ages TBH. Head been down on the car, or work mostly.

I didn't even know what the throttling of the free membership was until I and my graphics designer helped @Lotusfab design a sticker for his For Your Eyes Only copper fire replica Esprit Turbo. As I used to be able to post and send images then restricted to 0.000000MB or something.

Email and Dropbox is a wonderful thing though, and used extensively in the "real world" away from Loti.

Keep up the good work on the video front. Binge watched them all so far. We cast direct to the TV, so keep up the quality.

Personally I wouldn't get anything power coated that isn't easier to monitor, remove and reapply.

It can crack with even a few years, even when stored. Especially if old metal is the base.

Better to rust prevent and paint. As paint can be reapplied in situ.

I've seen it happen.

• 2 weeks later...