free hit
counters
Flywheel timing markings on S4(1993.5) - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
stevefh444@hotmail.com

Flywheel timing markings on S4(1993.5)

Hi all,my previous post did not receive a precise answer to this.Have you used the cam belt tension frequency method? If so did you use the crankshaft pulley marks assuming 10,20,30 degrees before TDC?Or more helpful to me,did you use the flywheel assuming 5,10,15,....degrees before TDC?Did you use flywheel...10,20,30,....,which I believe is incorrect 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Provided the crank pulley hasn't been nailed on by a gorilla (I've seen it before), index for either is accurate.  I'm curious as to why you believe the flywheel is incorrect?

Hi Sparky ,it’s not I think they are wrong, I want someone who is positive that the flywheel timing marks represent 5 degrees . I thought the flywheel interval was 10 degrees until I looked at section EF PAGE 18 diagram showing two intervals,the second marked 10.Thanks for any help.

I thought 

You should be able to see numbers!  If you can see TDC, then anticlockwise you'll find a short line at 5deg and a long line at 10deg.  This should also be straddled by the number 10.  This continues, and 30 should be stamped straddling the appropriate line.

If unsure, set the crank to 30BTDC and then look at the flywheel.

Thanks Sparky, I couldn’t easily  see 10 straddling the mark as I expected to see that.Next week I will clean it up and get a good light on it. I take from your post you are certain flywheel in 5’s,Thanks again 

There’s sometimes a discrepancy between front markings and rear markings. 

Use the front ones and the dots on the top pulleys. Simple

He's looking specifically for 30BTDC mate, so the top pulley marks are irrelevant.  Also, I'd believe the flywheel slightly more than the crank pulley!