free hit
counters
Door rattle or "bounce" - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

So far I have not been able to find anything similar posted anywhere about this. My doors are not out of alignment and do not sag ot rub anywhere. When shut they line up perfect with the body panels. But, they (at least the driver side door) "bounce" or rattle a lot when hitting bumps. Now my esprit has aftermarket wheels and low profile tires so it is a pretty harsh ride. But, I think the doors are overly "bouncy" when closed/latched. You know how some cars have a rubber striker that the door shuts against to provide a solid latch? That is the first thing I looked for. Not on the Esprit I guess. So, any ideas what will make the door more "solid" or secure when closed? Is there an adjustment in the mechanism in the door or perhaps they should have more pressure from rubber door seals? Just FYI, I can't move or make it rattle myself by pulling/pushing on the door handle. It seems to be up and down motion from bumps only.

Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It sounds like you've tried bouncing the car while parked but can't exert the same type of forces out on the road.

I would have thought a door would be more or a creaking noise rather than rattle and it makes me wonder whether some of your locking latch rods inside the door card may have worked lose or popped out.

I posted some technical drawings recently on the inner workings of the door and wonder if the lock rod or stabilising bracket are the problem. As the door card is so easy to remove, take it off and try tapping a few of the inner connecting rods, or check in the bottom for any unwanted bolts/washers?

Damien, can you post those again. About to rebuild a door.

Hi John, try adjusting the latch on the body 'in' slightly. If I remember correctly, don't remove the bolts completely as the nuts behind it are on a captive plate which can fall down and then the hurt begins.

You may also want to try and move the latch hoop up slightly. Worth a shot.

I must have used my allocation of Pic uploads, but here is the link to the topic where you can find the images and diagrams.

P.S. I have a technical Service Manual apparently something only the Lotus dealers were issued with.

If any member has a specific request for information from this manual I will be happy to photo image the relevant pages(s) and send them by email - just send me a PM request.

Thanks Guys. I had thought of adjusting the clasping mechanism but being that all the lines "line up" I figured that would not be appropriate. Just to clarify a little more, it is like a loud clunk from the door getting jarred when going over bumps. I will investigate the latching mechanism a bit more. I swear my instinct is to look for a rubber striker post that could be adjusted to provide more tension on the door in the close position. Like the small ones for the roof.

Maybe its something INSIDE the door?  I've never heard of a thunk from a closed, entire door.  Yes, it's the perimeter seals that hold everything tight.

Lots of opportunity for inside rattles.  For example, does the thunk occur if the side window is all the way down?  Maybe the plastic clip for the window is broken or something?:ermm:

It is worth checking again but I have checked inside the door previously (not for anything loose but for lubing the window etc.). Window up or down doesn't make a difference. I can say with almost certainty that it is not anything inside. Using the term "rattle" on my part is not accurate. It is a clunking sound of the entire door being jolted. Perhaps my ride is so harsh that it is just the way it is. If I can't find anything obvious I will try to capture it on video. I just did a search for the rubber door seal and think that might be a worthwhile step. Mine could do with changing anyway.

Edited by Techspy
edit

I replaced my passenger-side door seal after it got torn.  If the OEM Lotus part is available, buy it. I tried an aftermarket rubber piece first, couldn't get it to seal properly at the 'join' in the top trailing corner.

I gave in and bought the Lotus part after that...and FYI, it originally seemed about three inches too long, but that extra length was critical for proper retention.

+++++++++++++++

Another thought:  You door might not sag because it has been adjusted, but the front hinge pivot might be loose?   If you lift on the open door, can you feel a knock or any clearance?

Are you positive the door restraint spring is in one piece? That would allow the catch bracket to clunk around.

Just throwing a few possibilities out...