Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Child seat - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Child seat

Cdm2018

I am having huge issues after day two of ownership !

i have a 6 going on 7 daughter about 115cm height and over 23kg weight 

went to Halfords as my booster seat had a back which I removed so I can fit it into back of Evora. The booster seat back connector pushes seat out a couple of inches so I went to look at a some slimmer types of booster seat as I don’t think a full car seats with back would fit the back 

the halford guy would sell the booster seat as my daughter falls below 135cm height.

the only seat that may fit was a very slim full car seat but I don’t think my daughter would fit her as she over 22kg and slightly big build for her age.

the fact that my booster seat option is illegal my partner saying you take the little one in the car !!! 

Any help ?

I suspect the legislation drawn up applies to a standard family type of cars but the 2+2 type of sports cars fall outside these parameters and there’s little if not no option of purpose built car seat to accommodate a child who is heavier and smaller the legal stipulation .

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My lad is 7 and about 123cm, in the front I use a full car seat on a trimmed cushion so as not to damage the record seat. In the back he doesn't use a booster seat, as the rear seat us hardly full size. If you are concerned get one of the inflatable travel ones? 

Gav 

As @21gg above, my grandson, who is not particularly tall, has been in the back of the Evora since 8yrs old without a booster seat.

I'm not sure where we would stand if pulled over by Plod but the fact is that, in a booster seat the seatbelt would not be a good fit resulting in it likely not holding him in an accident. It is a situation where I let common sense prevail since without a booster the seatbelt fits perfectly, even though  others may disagree.

Existing booster seats haven't suddenly become illegal, the legislation is just regarding development and sales of new booster seats - so perhaps an old model would work?

https://www.gov.uk/child-car-seats-the-rules

"Manufacturers can now only make booster cushions approved as group 3. This won’t affect any existing booster cushions in group 2 and you’ll still be able to use them."

Edited by Mister_Tad

7 minutes ago, PaulCP said:

I'm not sure where we would stand if pulled over by Plod 

As long as they kept quiet they probably wouldn't even notice them!

I’m with Paul, safety over ticking boxes. My kids never used and for of seat in the back, youngest was 7 and the seatbelts fitted best without any booster seat. 

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

All

i think that my daughter would be safer in the back of Evora in a booster seat but according to Halfords that’s illegal ?

i think my argument would be that these rules have been drawn up against your standard hatchback / estate etc ?

i can’t chsnge the law clearly but I can’t be illegal although I think safer , I am trying to avoid putting her in front seats on  trips with just two of us !

i might neee to decamp at Halfords branch and try every high backed car seat ?

25 minutes ago, Cdm2018 said:

i think that my daughter would be safer in the back of Evora in a booster seat but according to Halfords that’s illegal ?

Halfords are full of it, print off the page from the the DFT link and rub it in their dumb faces.

Child’s weight Group Seats
0kg to 10kg 0 Lie-flat or ‘lateral’ baby carrier, rear-facing baby carrier, or rear-facing baby seat using a harness
0kg to 13kg 0+ Rear-facing baby carrier or rear-facing baby seat using a harness
9kg to 18kg 1 Rear- or forward-facing baby seat using a harness or safety shield
15kg to 25kg 2 Rear- or forward-facing child car seat (high-backed booster seat or booster cushion) using a seat belt, harness or safety shield
22kg to 36kg 3 Rear- or forward-facing child car seat (high-backed booster seat or booster cushion) using a seat belt, harness or safety shield

At 23Kg, a group 3 booster cushion only is within current guidelines.

Even a Group 2 booster cushion is still legal to use, just no longer legal for manufacturers to develop

The new rules mean that manufacturers aren’t allowed to introduce new models of backless booster seats for children shorter than 125cm or weighing less than 22kg.

Existing seats not affected by new rules

The change doesn’t affect existing models of seats or cushions and doesn’t mean that they are unsafe or illegal 

Edited by Mister_Tad

What about going for the Mifold one? Probably better than a normal booster considering the size of evora back seats.

https://www.johnlewis.com/mifold-grab-and-go-booster-seat/p3111572?sku=236699849&s_kwcid=2dx92700028824367306&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs8GEjq-c2QIV04KyCh3fUwS_EAQYAyABEgIhb_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by PAR

Cheers everyone

i have begun to rest a bit easier given the advice given by people here !

i will try the other booster seats I have and maybe look at Milfold one mentioned by Par as this look a very interesting option ?

we all just want to make sure our most precious things are protected and then I want to make sure also I am illegal as in my line of work it wouldn’t sit right !

I’ll save you the time - if you want the front passenger seat to ‘click’ back, you can’t. 

So, the trick is: turn off the front airbag, put the baby seat up front and put your passenger (your missus, I presume?) in the back. Job jobbed. :thumbup:

On 10/02/2018 at 23:04, Cdm2018 said:

...and then I want to make sure also I am illegal as in my line of work it wouldn’t sit right !

Ah, you’ve got to love a well placed typo... :rofl:

• 3 months later...

Any update from the previous on how people got on? Has anyone tried the urban kanga? Sounds like quite compact.

Just update on what I ended up doing;

i used my old Greco basic booster seat as it was padded and has the integral cup holders useful ?

the only drawback is the slight height and plastic lugs that stick out in the back pushes the seat an inch or so forward I could cut those off and will try soon.

halford sell a basic booster seat in black which is very slim a good fit for Evora, I might buy this for short journeys as it’s seems a tad uncomfortable lacks padding and no cup holders.