free hit
counters
Gearshift cable upgrade - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
FSzalay

Gearshift cable upgrade

Is it a clam off job or can be done without it?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I seem to recall from what I read a year or so back it's not clam off but quite of bit of the interior needs to come out so can be an 7-8 hour job but I wouldn't take that as gospel.

Edited by Del Lardo

What is the problem with your gearshift?

There are 2 less invasive things you can do to make things better.  If you’re having problems with slow synchromesh you might benefit from a gearbox oil change - many people swear by it.  My car had a very stiff gear lever action and wouldn’t self centre but I managed to improve it dramatically by lubricating the cables from the engine bay.  I took each of the cables off and used a sandwich bag duct taped onto the outer to feed engine oil down the inner cable.  Afterwards it felt like a new cable.

As above, much of the interior has to be removed to replace the cables but no bodywork. Had the MY12 cable upgrade on my N/A and it came to over £2k, but there are cheaper options depending on what cables you car has and what you upgrade to. 

IIRC the parts were c£1400 and the labour £7/800.

Parts were over £1k more as you have to replace the handbrake and gear stick assembly. Cables alone depending on spec were, I think, only £3/400, could even have been less, but the labour is the same.  That said the upgrade was well worth it IMHO. 

21 hours ago, Ledlights said:

What is the problem with your gearshift?

There are 2 less invasive things you can do to make things better.  If you’re having problems with slow synchromesh you might benefit from a gearbox oil change - many people swear by it.  My car had a very stiff gear lever action and wouldn’t self centre but I managed to improve it dramatically by lubricating the cables from the engine bay.  I took each of the cables off and used a sandwich bag duct taped onto the outer to feed engine oil down the inner cable.  Afterwards it felt like a new cable.

The gearshift got a bit sticky. Especially if the car sit in the garage for a while. The biggest improvement I would like to have is a faster / smoother from 3rd to 2nd change. It would make the mountain road driving more fun... The gearbox oil change was on the list for the next service anyway but I read mixed feedback about it.... So I was thinking about going all the way and getting the cable change done... Maybe it make sense to first check the difference the oil change made and then decide about the cable upgrade

The other thing is more of a concern then an immediate issue (fingers crossed), what if the cable breaks... the plastic cover is well of the metal inner cable.

Did you lift the car to lubricate the inner cable? (I have only a ramp)

No, you can do it from the top of the engine bay. If you take the air filter assembly out, the 2 cables are easily accessible - just be careful not to drop the retaining clips or you may have to remove the bottom tray.

Once the cable is off the gear selector mechanism, slide the rubber gaiter to reveal the inner cable going into the outer sheath. Then cut a small hole in the corner of a sandwich bag and put the cable into it so that the corner is just below the end of the sheath, then use some duct tape to seal it in place. Hold it vertically, then pour in a small amount of engine oil and work the inner cable in and out so that the oil is drawn in. On my car you could really feel the cable ease up as the oil went in. Once finished, seal the top of the bag, turn it upside down, take the tape off and withdraw the cable before disposing if the bag. Use a new bag for the second cable. Be ready with a few rags to catch any drips.

This substantially improved the gear lever effort and feel of the change on mine as I could feel the gate and the synchro as I changed gear. 

Hope it helps,

Steve

Thanks! Added to the before the season start to do list ...

Just to explain why I was thinking about the cable change... The first picture is from my car, with the cable housing/sheath cracked and broken near the ends. The second picture is what I'm afraid of.... (picture taken by someone else)

Evora Feb 2018.JPG

DSC00408.JPG

I can’t remember if mine had a crack (I didn’t notice one) but you could possibly support the cracked part of the sheath with a jubilee clip to extend its life.