free hit
counters
caliper bleeding etc - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

ok guys .My rover v8 engined car has been with since last Easter .long time .not driven it yet ....long story as I am sure some of you know .Nexst on the list of jobs are the brakes which I have been told need a overhall.Some fittings are rusty.not good As ever my mate is doing the work as and when so I just have to wait and be be greatfull for his help ....My brakes have been modified upgraded  hi sec calipers if that makes sence ....Mike....Update new braided lines fitted with stainless ends .Now the bit which is going to be a pig of a job .undoeing bleed nipples .4 on front Calipers 2 each on the rear .getting really frustrated now .had enough .but hey .i will post later on our very slow progress .Mike

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Fire and new bleed nipples....

Also tap them with a light hammer first.   I generallly gingerly try to tighten seized fittings before removal.  

• Like 2

Thanks guys .my mate tries to turn as above first .i know what will happen .Sorry to be a bit negative ....but it's dragging on .And on .if they break then I have to give to another guy I know who does stud extraction etc for a job .More waiting .oh well they might come out lol ....Mike

Spray with wd40 - and stick some oil on them while your waiting for your mate - every little helps and all that

• Like 1

And try a 6-sided socket first, NOT a spanner.

• Like 1

ok guys all bleed nipples are loose .We are having trouble bleeding .there are 4 bleeds on the front ones each wheel .2 bleed nipples on each rear wheels hi spec calipers .I think it might need to be done with a bleed machine ...

Calm down,  Mike!

You only need to bleed the calipers from the top nipples. You shouldn’t need a pressure bleeder, (although you can use one if you want), but the usual process with the wife as a pedal operator should work just fine.

Works for me, anyway.

• Like 1

Sound like some Vauxhall calipers. Leave them bottom nipples well alone - nip them back up. You have to bleed from the top - air rises chap ?

15 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

Calm down,  Mike!

You only need to bleed the calipers from the top nipples. You shouldn’t need a pressure bleeder, (although you can use one if you want), but the usual process with the wife as a pedal operator should work just fine.

Works for me, anyway.

Can’t use mine - the bloody noise it makes in my garage is horrendous 

10 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Sound like some Vauxhall calipers. Leave them bottom nipples well alone - nip them back up. You have to bleed from the top - air rises chap ?

Can’t use mine - the bloody noise it makes in my garage is horrendous 

Mine’s alright until we get in the car. Makes more noise than the car does.

• Haha 1

ok guys tried to bleed with the pedal method ...no good .Another mate has a bleed thingy .but needs to borrow a compressor .i hate this car ......Sorry .....Mike

SOk guys sent off a email to hi spec . but can anyone help .do you have to bleed both nipples at the same time .or do you do them one at a time ...Thanks Mike

Ignore the lower nipple - bleed from the top one only.

post up a picture of the caliper Mike

Start with the rear LH...then rear RH...then front LH and finally front RH. The underneath bloke is in control...take length of rubber hose and fit to nipple. Put end of hose in jamjar with fluid in, make sure it's submerged. Open nipple...call "Brakes ON!". Inside bod pushes pedal slowly to the floor, and holds it there, calls out "Brakes ON!" Underneath bloke closes nipple and calls "Brakes OFF!" and inside man releases the pedal. Bubbles will have appeared in the fluid in the jar as the pedal is depressed. Repeat process until no further bubbles. Check as you go to ensure that the fluid reservoir doesn't run dry...refill as necessary...if it does run dry, start over...and DON'T DO IT AGAIN(!) Then proceed in sequence for the remaining calipers...

As has been said, only use the top bleed nipples as air rises.

On my Airtourer aeroplane, the nipples were only at the bottom, and the only way to bleed it was to pump the fluid in from the bottom nipples and fill the system that way...sometimes it even worked(!)

Have fun......

If the system has been empty or the master cylinder replaced you might have to bench bleed the master cylinder first if its the tandem cylinder used on Turbo or S3. There are procedures for this on the web as many cars use this type.

I had to, last time I did this. No amount of doing the usual pedal pressing would work, no fluid at all would ever come out the front ones. I think the reason was the front piston in the master cylinder had got pushed in by the first down stroke and just stayed there, blocking off the fluid entry, and only the rear piston retracted.

I also found that using the Sealey pressure bleeder I normally use didnt work at all on these brakes, it actually made them worse.

I have had success with gravity bleeding. You can do it on your own. Quick google search will give you all the info.

That method might well have worked in my case and avoided a lot of hassle. With the master cylinder in its rest position without pumping at all, maybe simply waiting for it to fill and go through the system. May have taken a while but saved time overall. 

Thanks for all your help and advice .Mike

ok guys .Mate came over with  gunson easy bleed kit .We were bleeding them wrong last weekend ..he was trying to bleed the caliper with a duel bleed kit .But you had to do each nipple at a time .Car is now off its stands with the wheels back on  thank god .Next job is the steering rack .Think I have sold my Jensen Healey which will give me more room in my garage my daughter needs to store some furniture .Slowly getting there ...Mike

Brilliant news mike - we’ve both had good progress today :cheers:

Hey thanks Mr k .pleased for you .Cant tell you it looks a lot better off those stands ....Mike

• Like 1

Every little bit of progress helps. Springs a coming

ok guys checked brake pedal next day after bleeding brakes .spongy .Bummer .Found a small weep at the rear where new lines go on ..so hopefully later try again .getting there very slowly .been frustrated if I am honest .Mike

On 2/12/2018 at 05:07, Chillidoggy said:

Mine’s alright until we get in the car. Makes more noise than the car does.

Does yours make that 'Slow down!!!!!' noise as well?

I can even hear it with the window down.