free hit
counters
Is The V8 Transmission The Same As 4cyl ? - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Is The V8 Transmission The Same As 4cyl ?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a good write-up on LEW that makes the distinction between the UN1 variants used on the Esprit

LEW Gearbox info

Having had a number of UN1-027s through my hands, typically you would expect to pay 1500-2500USD for a low mileage used and perhaps another 500-800USD if it contains a Quaife ATB diff.

Cheers,

Mike S

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

There is a good write-up on LEW that makes the distinction between the UN1 variants used on the Esprit

LEW Gearbox info

Having had a number of UN1-027s through my hands, typically you would expect to pay 1500-2500USD for a low mileage used and perhaps another 500-800USD if it contains a Quaife ATB diff.

Cheers,

Mike S

I actually recently was on the search for one ever since my Derek Bell upgrade went to the shits... Freak'n Hell!!! I found them to be in the $4000 to $6000 range for used ones (although I got really lucky with a brand new one!!)... but that's better than Lotus's $12000 for a new one, and they're almost out!!

No, they at least have a different 5th and final drive ratios.

Correct... from my understanding, you can retrofit a later UN1-027 V* Tranny to a later model 4-cyl but drilling the required thermostat hole, and then just plug it up for the V8 (as is how some of the early V8 gearboxes came from factory). I don't believe the other way around is possible though. Furthermore, the gearbox on the V8 is rated at 400 Nm, with the previous is rated at 300.

Is the transmission for V8 same as the Citroen UN1 from 4cyl?

I think V8 UN1-27 ?

don't you mean Renault UN1?

Yeah...sorry Renault.

I had a chance to buy one for V8. He wants $3,000 but I hesitated because of the $$$...Is it too much?

I thought the Derek Bell upgrade was the best there is. Doesn`t GTO engineering also have the upgraded gearbox for the V8??

NO PAIN, NO GAIN! THE ESPRIT IS LIKE YOUR HONEY, SHE`LL SPEND YOUR MONEY!!!

http://www.gtoengineering.co.uk/gtor/page1.htm

for all 369/UN1 type boxes. not just for V8 cars. My colleague had a mega spec box from there for his mental Renault 5 turbo 2 maxi rally car beastie. many 5/6 speed dog/straight cut kits in high specced US V8's as well as European cars. mostly with the higher diff ratio in the US. lots of MPH potential even with a std style gear kit with the 0.75:1 5th and a 3.44 diff. 220+ IIRC, if U have 550hp that is.....

Edited by pitstoppete

Since losing 5th a few weeks ago I had an email exchange with Derek Bell. A fully reconditioned box with the relevant bits (primary motion shaft mainly) and his other mods, on a exchange basis, was

Was your loss of 5th gear due to a failure of the new primary shaft?

Since losing 5th a few weeks ago I had an email exchange with Derek Bell. A fully reconditioned box with the relevant bits (primary motion shaft mainly) and his other mods, on a exchange basis, was

Peter - Just re-read my post. Use of the past tense gives the impression I had the new box. Unfortunately not. The car is still on its original transmission and clutch (43k miles). 5th just went awol, like a false neutral. I haven't had the time to get the back end off to see what the problem is. It went at Newcastle and I drove home fine (130miles), but with 4 speeds. No other symptoms whatsoever - I assume with the end of the shaft snapped off and floating around it would have seized the gears at some point. But no, it got me home OK. Drives and sounds perfect, although I haven't taken it out since getting home of course.