free hit
counters
electric power steering on a X180 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
roger.h

electric power steering on a X180

Has anyone experience of Esprit X180 N/A fitted with electric powered PAS?  I understand "Lotusbits" can convert.

Any other Company that can convert?  Apparently its not possible to fit the "Excel" version of the hydraulic PAS.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Thanks for the info. will certainly contact them soonest and let you know what's available!! 

I converted mine to electric pas with a Vauxhall Cora model B power steering column and a 3 stage controller board off eBay. It’s a cut and shut job to do it, but it really, really transforms the car!

I took the main power from the positive post in the drivers side A pillar via a big relay that comes on with the ignition, so there’s actually very little wiring.

Only thing you have to watch is the orientation of the electric motor. It has to be quite precise to fit in the gap between the scuttle beam and dash.

Did mine for less than £100 but only because I have a friend who’s an engineer with a proper Tig welder. You couldn’t do this at home with a draper mig welder. :)

OK. I have been in touch with EZ power steering without much luck, the agent is away on holiday until 12th March. He confirms that they can supply what he calls a DIY kit for approx. £2200 which seems a bit steep for a kit?  "Litesteer" could do it for £1400 approx. but they are based in Sussex!  That's a long way from Tiverton  Devon and I would prefer the agent to fit the system.

Does seem a lot of money, I can see why most owners stick with a manual system now. :thumbdown:

done this also to my 88 esprit.

it is doable, used the same parts as Glyn

post-5162-0-61876200-1414917818.jpg

• Like 1

On 14/02/2018 at 17:42, Glyn Harper said:

I converted mine to electric pas with a Vauxhall Cora model B power steering column and a 3 stage controller board off eBay. It’s a cut and shut job to do it, but it really, really transforms the car!

Having owned 3 Esprits without PS before buying my S4s I totally agree, completely transforms the whole driving experience & if I owned a non PS car I would definitely get it done. :thumbup:

On 25/02/2018 at 11:42, roger.h said:

OK. I have been in touch with EZ power steering without much luck, the agent is away on holiday until 12th March. He confirms that they can supply what he calls a DIY kit for approx. £2200 which seems a bit steep for a kit?  "Litesteer" could do it for £1400 approx. but they are based in Sussex!  That's a long way from Tiverton  Devon and I would prefer the agent to fit the system.

I know both Mike and Graham at EZ they are good blokes, they supply systems to a lot of the top restoration companies.

i know they have done one esprit. I'm also looking into power steering. 

If there are any budding engineer/welders on here it would be worth buying a spare upper column and converting one, then doing them on an exchange basis from that point on.

If you don’t mind using second hand parts, then a used motor is about £150 and a new controller is about £25.

The rest would be just a bit of labour cutting and welding, and a few bits and bobs like shear bolts to re fit your own ignition lock to an exchange unit.

Not sure where prices like £2,200 come from.

Does need to be done well though. Welding a steering column is not something that can be bodged.

Edited by Glyn Harper

16 hours ago, Glyn Harper said:

If there are any budding engineer/welders on here it would be worth buying a spare upper column and converting one, then doing them on an exchange basis from that point on.

If you don’t mind using second hand parts, then a used motor is about £150 and a new controller is about £25.

The rest would be just a bit of labour cutting and welding, and a few bits and bobs like shear bolts to re fit your own ignition lock to an exchange unit.

Not sure where prices like £2,200 come from.

Does need to be done well though. Welding a steering column is not something that can be bodged.

The reason they cost so much is the testing and type approval of the parts used for particular application..  The suppliers have a duty of care to provide , they are also liable for any incidents arising from a failure of components there in and any impending damage caused to third party as a result of.   So have to pay insurance to cover all eventualities.. .   The same applies to any budding engineers with a welder providing similar ..    doing it for yourself is different matter...  

My X180 came with a S4 power steering. I will try to take some photos when I next go to the workshop

729681_4b.jpg

20180417_153556_resized.jpg

Understood from SJ that hydraulic power steering cannot be fitted to X180 without extensive mods to the car. I eventualy opted for electric PS fitted by Lotus Bits, its not ideal but at least "wifey" can now manouver the car in restricted spaces.

3 hours ago, roger.h said:

Understood from SJ that hydraulic power steering cannot be fitted to X180 without extensive mods to the car. I eventualy opted for electric PS fitted by Lotus Bits, its not ideal but at least "wifey" can now manouver the car in restricted spaces.

the S4 PAS on my X180 ...

20180628_123917_resized.jpg

20180628_123924_resized.jpg

20180628_123945_resized.jpg

20180628_123956_resized.jpg

20180628_124044_resized.jpg

• Like 1

Roger,

". . ..system by Lotusbits, it's not ideal . . .."  Would you care to elaborate on this?

Cheers

• Like 1

The system works ok, but is a little "Stiff" on the return to the centre. Seems really good at slow speeds ie. around towns and in and out of the garage but on straight motorway roads have to constantly correct. Have spoken to Mike Taylor at Lotus Bits, he reckons it can be improved by adding a little more caster angle. I may do this when I have time, meantime its "liveable".  

I think the OEM power steering has an extra bracket as there is an extra intermediate joint that needs supporting. This bracket is fitted somewhere that is impossible to get to with the body attached to the car.. I seem to remember..

Roger, do you have one of the control units that adjust the power assistance depending on speed? I have one on mine that is three stage, although the newer ones I think are even more finer than that. I'm very happy with my electric upgrade. Works really well for me. I used to weave all over the road before, and now I don't! :)