free hit
counters
door hinge - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

please can someone give me some guidance on how to remove drivers door on S1 eclat as I have a siezed hinge pin to replace 

Many thanks Alec

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I haven’t got the workshop manual in front of me but from memory it’s as simple as:

Remove the door card far enough to disconnect electric windows, speakers etc. 

Unfasten the check strap at the A pillar side. 

Undo the large nuts (4?) that hold the hinge to the car so you can remove the entire fixture  

Once you’ve got the door beam out of the door (can be a pain if the beam is rusty) you can drift the pin out on the bench.  Lotusbits recommend fitting a grease nipple to the hinge, I intend to but need to work out where it won’t foul with the door action  

This is very well covered (for once!) in the manual. If you haven’t got a copy they’re well worth the investment  

• Like 1

Speaking as excel owner, I believe there is a how to guide on the lotusexcel.net forum.

Does the eclat door skin 'wrap' around the hinge pin like the excel?  If so I dont think you will  be able to remove the pin.  You will need to break the door down - frame; skin then beam.  You may need to press in new bushes as well.

Dont remove the door as a whole as they are quite heavy and you will end up doing damage.

If the hinge pin is seized it may be easier to remove the whole door. There are 4 bolts holding the hinge brackets, two fitted from the inside and two from the outside. There is a plate inside the footwell covered by carpet. Be careful when removing the bolts as there are some spacer washers on the inside of the plate which will drop out then the bolts are removed. This is a pain working out how many go on each bolt. :) 

100_2993_edited.jpg.a644b6ffed44a641eb51a68b4a40c04c.jpg

The spacer washers are there to take up the gap between the curving body and the plate used to spread the load on the I side. If the spacers are not fitted then the plate bends and the door drops. You can fit more than enough and quantity is not important so long and the plate sits on the spacers.

• Like 1