free hit
counters
Heat shield - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
PhilW

Heat shield

My chassis has lost some galvanizing next to the exhaust manifold.  Am looking to install a heat shield and clip it to the chassis to try and protect it.  I shall be cleaning the rust and painting the affected areas.  Can anyone advise the best board.  I see the dimpled sheets on ebay but do not know how good this sort of thing is, especially strength wise as i need to fix some sort of clip to it.   For me a sheet of the material originally positioned between the turbo and the cam housing would be OK.  Is this available anywhere? 

Thanks

Phil

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I made a new turbo heat shield some time ago, have a look back through my refurb thread. What size do you need? I may even have some left over.

Ian Thanks for the reply. Was hoping to cover the area opposite the exhaust manifold and waste gate area so starting with a piece about 20" x 10" and trim to fit. Then use some sort of clip suitable for 40mm pipe. Want to make 2 really. 1 for each car. I don't expect you would have that much left?  If not any idea where it came from?  Will search your refurb thread but it's 60 odd pages so can't do right now. Phil

I used this stuff. Aly sheet with ceramic stuff sandwiched in between.

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/cirrus-giii-3-layer-heat-shield-material-aero-cir-s

Zircotech stuff looks good too.

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/s/heat-insulation/zircoflex-heat-insulation

buddsy

Cheers Buddsy. Will we see you on Monday?

I cant make it im afraid. Clashes with dad driving duties!

I was talking with Stuart M only a couple of days back. Ive got a little bit of that material in the garage I think. If you want a small bit Ill see if I can dig it out.

buddsy

That would be great if you have some. Let me know if you find it. Thank you

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 20:13, PhilW said:

Ian Thanks for the reply. Was hoping to cover the area opposite the exhaust manifold and waste gate area so starting with a piece about 20" x 10" and trim to fit. Then use some sort of clip suitable for 40mm pipe. Want to make 2 really. 1 for each car. I don't expect you would have that much left?  If not any idea where it came from?  Will search your refurb thread but it's 60 odd pages so can't do right now. Phil

Sorry for the delay Phil, I missed this one!

I have got some left over, but not big enough for what you want. It's called Firefly Millboard, and I remembered blagging enough 'samples' from PAR to make a new turbo heat shield (page 3 on my refurb thread), and covered it with Thermal Velocity. Despite my misgivings, it's still there, and intact. I also wrapped the chassis tubes with self-adhesive Thermal Velocity to cover the area you mention opposite the exhaust area.

Thanks Ian.  I may have a solution to manufacture a shield. I will let people know if it works.  In the meantime I will investigate the products you mention.