free hit
counters
Esprit x180 Info Please - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Gee21

Esprit x180 Info Please

Hi All, 

Im looking for a bit of help with a value. I have the chance to buy a 1989 Esprit x180 2.2 NA car. Its  covered 36,000 miles from new and is in nice usable condition but does need some cosmetic work but not much. It drives well enough. 

I come from a M100 Elan background so have no idea on what these cars are worth. 

I can secure the car for around the £12k mark. Does this sound like a good price? I have no idea on values and with not that many NA cars around to compare it too.

Thanks in advance.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

This time last year I sold mine for £15k it had been totally gone through mechanically. £17k worth of parts bills .just needed paint. A lot of the bills will be the same as a more expensive model. Put a good manifold and exhaust plus mapped ignition on it and you get close to a carb turbo performance.

Is it the red one in Scotland ? 

I bought mine more recently about 6 months ago interestingly having also owned both an Elan M100 and Excel SE..

Mine was originally advertised at £15K but it was eventually secured for less than £11k  and then valued independently after purchase at £12K.

The thing for me was that the expensive/difficult jobs had been done (new adjustable suspension, wheels refurbished, front brakes, poly bushes, exhaust, radiator, fuel tanks etc) all adding to the value. On the negative side, the interior was a bit loud for some and the rear bumper and rear wheel arches had some minor scuffs (nothing that £400 wouldn't hide). I've obviously found a few other issues since owning, but overall I feel it was good value

Check the similar post out that I made as a comparison. 

You'll be delighted once it's in your garage and it's difficult to be precise without quality pictures and hearing it run, but my feeling is circa £11k would be better value.

Especially this time of year - typically values go up in the spring as the anticipation of summer nears.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Stuart Monument said:

Is it the red one in Scotland ? 

Yes but I’ve decided it’s not for me. If you were interested in it pm me.

It sounded about right value wise but the owner didn’t seem to know much about it and only had it for four months. I was going to advise just being very thorough with the inspection as he didn’t seem to confident in what he had. Saying that it doesn’t mean there is anything wrong with it