free hit
counters
At last a targa Evora is here - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
scotty435

At last a targa Evora is here

Targa Evora but not the one we where hoping for.

IMG_0041.JPG

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Some of the other shots:

27858843_1905967476098607_64142344801401

27752288_1905969169431771_22745277377738

Well, I suppose that is one way of getting around the positioning of the rollover hoop. But it’s still a bit ?, isn’t it?

• Like 1

Not a massive fan of that,  Just does not look right when the roof is on,   If the removable panel was fiberglass that would look awesome as it would blend in with the roof line,  the material one above looks like when they used to DIY convertable roofs on cars as they never used to get a factory look imo.

12 minutes ago, Solstice said:

Nice, where can I get mine done?

Bring it around. It won’t take long. 

angle-grinder-gws-9-115-144010-144010.pn

dremel%C2%AE4000-9180.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh dear, that's not a good look is it. :cry:

"Hello, parts department please"

Click|elevatormusic|click. "Good morning, Parts. How can I help?"

"Hi, I need to order an entire roof panel for an Evora please as I've completely screwed mine up by chopping bits off it."

• Like 1

Hmmm. Kinda being rough don't you think? Especially for a unfinished product. I for one give him a huge thumbs up for having two large brass 3 to chop his beloved Evora. And you know, do something about it vs talking about it. I know a lot of guys from US forums LTF that frequent this forum. Both great platforms and for the most, great thread discussions. Not really liking the direction this is taking as I wouldn't doubt if he is also a visitor or member of this forum as well. Just my thoughts 

I'll be eagerly waiting for the finished product.

-Jim

• Like 1

Hi Jim

I do not think the guys are been nasty,  I undertand it takes brass to chop an Evora up,  and that is probably why so many folks will be a bit shocked,  The forum is made for projects,tech, general chat etc.   When projects or other things that have been done to a lotus are shown folks will either love or hate it.  It is a natuaral reaction. :)

Well - personally I’m very much looking forward to this one coming up for sale.

i just know it’s gonna be mega cheap and no one else will touch it ??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't understand the makeup of the roof of the Evora, but I presume it would be difficult to get some sort of smooth finish to the soft top as you are trying to use a framework over a compound curved surface. Always going to be difficult.

It needs to have the targa bit made out of fiberglass,  Also if using the current cloth top that it has at the moment then the screen pillars and rest of the roof section need painting in a black paint to as near to the black colour cloth as possible as at the moment it sticks out like a sore thumb with far to many contrasts from front to back, i.e satin black screen pillars and top of screen panel, then a large mass of a different colour black material, the a large mass of satin black again !

The thing with the evora is the roof is a lot harder to fibble with looks wise, as lotus designed the rear end,quarter class windows as an opticle illusion to hide the extra mass of the size of the car due to the 2plus2 versions,  So to fiddle with the roof design is always going to be a drama, that needs carefull consideration imo.

I wasn't meaning to be harsh with my comments and whilst I applaud somebody's efforts at 'personalising' their car, it was always going to be a bit 'Marmite'. Seeing the end result of this just makes me think I now know why Lotus are taking their time with the official version despite JMG saying, some 3 years ago, he had already driven the prototype Roadster.

I read somewhere last year (possibly Autocar) he said that turning the car into a Roadster has involved a bit more of a redesign than simply removing the roof. I can imagine them looking at the early prototype and thinking hmmm, I think we'd better go back to the drawing board on this one.

On 2/17/2018 at 00:54, ramjet said:

I don't understand the makeup of the roof of the Evora, but I presume it would be difficult to get some sort of smooth finish to the soft top as you are trying to use a framework over a compound curved surface. Always going to be difficult.

http://www.global-automotive-lightweight-materials.com/media/downloads/208-0950-d-grieg-lotus.pdf

PDF shows contribution to torsional stiffness of the roof section.

Evora roof is Roof panel ICS/RTM 2.5mm CSM and +/-45 UD Stitch Mat. 23% FV

Key CSM – Chopped strand mat

FV - Fibre volume

RTM - Resin transfer moulding

ICS - injection compression system

UD - Unidirectional