free hit
counters
Alunox Noise Compliant Silencers for Exige - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Bibs

Alunox Noise Compliant Silencers for Exige

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Best of luck Bibs,  but I must admit I had to double check the price :o

I don't set the prices! In fairness, there's an awful lot of raw material needed to get the noise figures down to where they need to be. 

Bad idea running a valved exhaust on track.  I learnt this the hard way.

Also, didn't think it could be possible to have a worse exhaust tip than the pig snout!

Does the system really need the frilly exhaust tip? Cos that does make the original look good!

what is the weight of the Lotus OE system?

7 hours ago, GFWilliams said:

Bad idea running a valved exhaust on track.  I learnt this the hard way.

Also, didn't think it could be possible to have a worse exhaust tip than the pig snout!

What happened there George?

Trevor.

Prolonged heat fucks the valve. Mine got very sticky then got stuck open. I have now forced it closed for road driving and Jim will build me a new exhaust for the road, then eventually a quiet one for track which I will switch between.

Alunox valves are £300 each, lots of systems use valves from the far east that are more like £30 each. This should ensure it's longevity during track use. 

So, it's arguably ugly, not light unless you have the titanium version and very expensive.

Unless I've missed something I can't see this being a seller to be honest, there are other exhausts, manifolds and cats out there that will be stiff competition for this product.

1 hour ago, GFWilliams said:

Prolonged heat fucks the valve. Mine got very sticky then got stuck open. I have now forced it closed for road driving and Jim will build me a new exhaust for the road, then eventually a quiet one for track which I will switch between.

same thing happened with my 2bular road exhaust on my previous exige s, after tracking the car the valve stopped working and was stuck open. but the OEM exhaust didn't have that issue, valve never failed even after multiple track days.

5 hours ago, GFWilliams said:

Thanks George, I assume it wasn’t a Lotus valve then?

Trevor.

On 2/17/2018 at 20:02, Trevsked said:

Thanks George, I assume it wasn’t a Lotus valve then?

Trevor.

Trevor

You know which exhaust I have.

The exhaust manufacturer says it's a road exhaust and despite his warnings I decided to use it for prolonged track use where it eventually failed.  It was a risk I took and the valve had issues (as expected).

My point is simply that valves don't like the prolonged and intense heat of track work and you're better off with a dedicated, non valved track silencer IMO.  I was not making a dig at anyone, just feeding back my experience of exhaust valves for track use.

There is a good reason that people make dedicated track silencers the way they do.

I hope this makes sense

George

You 

21 minutes ago, GFWilliams said:

Trevor

You know which exhaust I have.

The exhaust manufacturer says it's a road exhaust and despite his warnings I decided to use it for prolonged track use where it eventually failed.  It was a risk I took and the valve had issues (as expected).

My point is simply that valves don't like the prolonged and intense heat of track work and you're better off with a dedicated, non valved track silencer IMO.  I was not making a dig at anyone, just feeding back my experience of exhaust valves for track use.

There is a good reason that people make dedicated track silencers the way they do.

I hope this makes sense

George

You give me too much credit for taking notice George. I was just interested to know if the original valve had given you trouble and if they were an issue.

Trevor.