free hit
counters
Fuel tanks replaced - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Gis

Fuel tanks replaced

Got the tanks out today and I got to say it was a tough job. Took about 10 hours. Plenty of dismantling and to pull them took some tries, especially on the passengers side it was real tight. Had to shorten the fuel exit pipe below to get them out without too much scraping. The bulkhead cross brace doesn’t need to be removed but anything that’s attached to it has to be cleared including the carpet layer atop. Engine surround was out. I don’t think it’s possible to get the tanks out with the surround in place. Closer inspection shows quite a bit of rust blossoming in both tanks, considering they’re 34 years old that’s not too bad. Still happy to have them replaced. New SJ alu tanks dropped in nicely. They are a little smaller. What a relief for my tortured knuckles. 04D9BFE0-7CF6-4397-9766-4D10F36B7DDA.thumb.jpeg.cd05ffd46a32123f20c17e9fff4e8b21.jpeg

7B6D5290-E7AF-4162-937F-342CD72021A5.png

B6316545-6919-405D-BEC2-D8CA51711FC8.jpeg

420016F5-F9FC-4503-AD63-63FE0650A34E.jpeg

DE279369-F8A1-42EA-8AC6-280F5C8DFB83.jpeg

19100ED8-9787-4DBB-AB63-66FA56EB29E7.jpeg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

An irksome job, but satisfying once done!  Looks like you didn't move the engine?

10 hours? Barry would have done it in half the time.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gis said:

Yes Gary, feels good to have it done. Engine stayed in place, yes

BUT, it's useful to remove the LF engine mount (and loosen the others) so that the engine can drop down a bit.

At least you weren't tempted to use a reciprocating saw on the edge of the sail panel! :sofa:

It’s a real physical job sneaking under and over disconnecting bits. Had the car on ramps. Replaced all hoses below. Looked like pig when I was done. Second time around I could do it in 8 perhaps but I’ll never beat Barry ?. Still waiting for new banjo bolts. The old ones were smaller for some strange reason. 84 most have been a year of change at lotus...

3 minutes ago, CarBuff said:

BUT, it's useful to remove the LF engine mount (and loosen the others) so that the engine can drop down a bit.

At least you weren't tempted to use a reciprocating saw on the edge of the sail panel! :sofa:

Good point. Nope lol. Got them out relatively clean ?

Were  you happy with the quality of SJs tanks?. I’m think of ordering a pair for my 88.

2 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

10 hours? Barry would have done it in half the time.

No way - that’s an utter shite bag of a job to do. I’ve hated it that much ive done it on 3 cars now

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, gtookey said:

Were  you happy with the quality of SJs tanks?. I’m think of ordering a pair for my 88.

Yes, they are ok Gavin. As said above, they are perfect in size and dropped in easy. All holes and screw connector lined up perfectly. Visual quality wise not at Axminsters level but clean and functional. 

• Like 1